There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(10-18-2024, 06:29 PM)KM600 Wrote: S.Avoca and Kruger Male looking great on a warthog kill, they were quite a distance from Mhangeni Pride. Savanna IG also says Kruger Male was chased from his territory by Mantimahles, but I thought he had already started making a move for Imabli Pride before they were fully on the scene. He was for sure ousted by Kambula males, however.

It will be interesting what happens if these two boys come across Tumbela or Khanya and NK. Being they are the most experienced lions in all of Sabi Sands, and former territorial males, I wouldn’t be surprised if they chase them around, but I’d rather they try make something stick, that’d be real cool. I also heard they were roaring in Londolozi together.

In a dream world these 2 find the Othawa girls and sweep them someplace a bit East where there is a bit of a hole and were able to protect them for a couple of years.  But, that's definitely a dream world.
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

Elephant Plains Weekly lion Sightings 14-20th October

https://elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/...0-october/

Monday, 014 October 2024
  • Five lioness mobile North from Jacana Open Area.
Tuesday, 15 October 2024
  • Five Nkuhuma lioness and one sub adult male stationary on Kudu Drift.
  • Three Kambula male lions mobile South from Seefs Pan.
Wednesday, 16 October 2024
  • Three Nkuhuma lioness, sleeping on Maddash Marula Bolt junction.
Thursday, 17 October 2024
  • One Kambula male lion, sleeping in Philemon’s Dip.
Friday, 18 October 2024
  • One Kambula male lion, sleeping on Magic Willy Road. (What a name!)
  • One Mantimahle male lion, sleeping on Round Leaf Teak junction with Cruz Camp Cutline.
  • Five unknown lionesses, sleeping on East-West Cutline.

5 unidentified lionesses spotted twice in a week. Could be Imbalis moving in, or some other new group from Kruger. With the vacuum left by the Talamati pride it's not surprising.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

Portugal Rui Ferreira Offline

(Yesterday, 02:38 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Elephant Plains Weekly lion Sightings 14-20th October

https://elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/...0-october/

Monday, 014 October 2024
  • Five lioness mobile North from Jacana Open Area.
Tuesday, 15 October 2024
  • Five Nkuhuma lioness and one sub adult male stationary on Kudu Drift.
  • Three Kambula male lions mobile South from Seefs Pan.
Wednesday, 16 October 2024
  • Three Nkuhuma lioness, sleeping on Maddash Marula Bolt junction.
Thursday, 17 October 2024
  • One Kambula male lion, sleeping in Philemon’s Dip.
Friday, 18 October 2024
  • One Kambula male lion, sleeping on Magic Willy Road. (What a name!)
  • One Mantimahle male lion, sleeping on Round Leaf Teak junction with Cruz Camp Cutline.
  • Five unknown lionesses, sleeping on East-West Cutline.

5 unidentified lionesses spotted twice in a week. Could be Imbalis moving in, or some other new group from Kruger. With the vacuum left by the Talamati pride it's not surprising.

We got lions named after roads 
S8 
S36 
S125 

I can only hope someday we will have a lion or coalition named Magic Willy
2 users Like Rui Ferreira's post

Philippines sunless Online
New Join
( This post was last modified: 10 hours ago by BA0701 )

Nharu Pride (told by the guide) is in southern part of Djuma near Treehouse Dam and killed a buffalo.
It consist of 6 female and 1 young male.
But some are suggesting Imbali Pride or Torchwood Pride.

1 user Likes sunless's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Another good video by the All About The Lions Of Sabi Sands channel, giving us the state of lion affairs in Sabi Sands for September.

3 users Like BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

She claims Nkhulus are down to 5.

Interesting since both MalaMala and southern guides still says there are 6.

Eventually I guess we'll find out for sure.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Super Moderator

(Yesterday, 11:36 PM)sunless Wrote: Nharu Pride (told by the guide) is in southern part of Djuma near Treehouse Dam and killed a buffalo.
It consist of 6 female and 1 young male.
But some are suggesting Imbali Pride or Torchwood Pride.

Hello @sunless, and welcome to WildFact! I fixed your post, and in doing so learned something new myself, that in order to embed Youtube "Live" videos, we must use the same process as we do for embedding Youtube Shorts.

I also moved your post to the proper thread, as we do not permit creating new threads, without prior permission from a WildFact Mod. The reasoning for this, is that it is highly likely, just as is the case with your post, that a thread covering the topic you wish to post about already exists. As we try to do with all new members, I would like to invite you to read through our rules section, which I will link at the bottom of this post. I will also provide you a link to our tutorials section, as well, which will hopefully help you in learning how to do certain common tasks on the site, such as in this case, embedding Youtube Live and Shorts videos. Never hesitate to reach out to myself, or any of our other Mods, if you have any questions, or need assistance with anything else.

We hope you enjoy the site, and look forward to your contributions!

WildFact Rules

WildFact Tutorial Section
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Super Moderator

(10 hours ago)Mapokser Wrote: She claims Nkhulus are down to 5.

Interesting since both MalaMala and southern guides still says there are 6.

Eventually I guess we'll find out for sure.

IIRC, N4 has not been seen since June 15, according to @Ngonya

Super Moderator

Has there been any word on the other SBDM recently? I don't recall hearing much on him, since he moved up north on his own. 

With all of the BDMs our there making their mark, Giraffe Male sure does have a few sons out there keeping the legacy alive. Did he have any other sons from other prides?

Ngonya Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 9 hours ago by Ngonya )

(9 hours ago)BA0701 Wrote: IIRC, N4 has not been seen since June 15, according to @Ngonya
Unfortunately no pictures of him since june 15, yes. 
But as @Mapokser said and i mentioned sometimes at the Nkhulu males topic, guides still claim and insist all 6 are alive but in 'different groups'.

I try not to doubt them because they are the professionals there and have all the credibility, in addition there is also the factor that I hope N4 is still alive. Such a handsome male lion and seemed to be doing better by each passing day, to go out like that while all his brothers recover would be just tragic. 

However, what makes me doubt certain statements made by the guides is the fact that we have seen them in such large group of 5 males on multiple occasions during the last few months, more united than ever. Still, there's not a single evidence that in these occasions N4 was part of the 5.
Also what I have already mentioned more than once and fits into the previous concern: All brothers were often photographed during the past 4 months, with the exception of N4.

Well, i'll keep trying not to count him out but it gets harder to by each passing day
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Super Moderator

(9 hours ago)Ngonya Wrote:
(9 hours ago)BA0701 Wrote: IIRC, N4 has not been seen since June 15, according to @Ngonya
Unfortunately no pictures of him since june 15, yes. 
But as @Mapokser said and i mentioned sometimes at the Nkhulu males topic, guides still claim and insist all 6 are alive but in 'different groups'.

I try not to doubt them because they are the professionals there and have all the credibility, in addition there is also the factor that I hope N4 is still alive. Such a handsome male lion and seemed to be doing better by each passing day, to go out like that while all his brothers recover would be just tragic. 

However, what makes me doubt certain statements made by the guides is the fact that we have seen them in such large group of 5 males on multiple occasions during the last few months, more united than ever. However, there not a single evidence that in these occasions N4 was part of the 5.
Also what I have already mentioned more than once and fits into the previous concern: All brothers were often photographed during the past 4 months, with the exception of N4.

Well, i'll keep trying not to count him out but it gets harder to by each passing day

It is sad, for him to have gone through all of the initial trials of becoming territorial and dominant, to then possibly pass just as things appear to have taken a much more positive turn for the entire coalition. As you mention, it has been really good to see them all, with the exception of 4 of course, regaining so much condition and confidence recently, and for all of them to be hanging together like the tight knit group one might expect from 6 brothers, being seen in the same place at the same time, for the first time in months, is also very promising for this coalition, indeed. Leading many of us to be even more excited for their futures, now.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(9 hours ago)BA0701 Wrote: Giraffe Male sure does have a few sons out there keeping the legacy alive. Did he have any other sons from other prides?

Had in Skorro pride, but idk if they survived Mbiri takeover back in 2020.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(9 hours ago)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(9 hours ago)BA0701 Wrote: Giraffe Male sure does have a few sons out there keeping the legacy alive. Did he have any other sons from other prides?

Had in Skorro pride, but idk if they survived Mbiri takeover back in 2020.

Thank you for that, my friend!

Ngonya Offline
Contributor

"The Kambula pride catch a buffalo then successfully fend off the herd and the Styx male only to be chased off the kill by 2 unknown males"
The unknown males are 2/4 Kambula males (K4 & K5)
2 users Like Ngonya's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 9 hours ago by BA0701 )

(9 hours ago)Ngonya Wrote: "The Kambula pride catch a buffalo then successfully fend off the herd and the Styx male only to be chased off the kill by 2 unknown males"
The unknown males are 2/4 Kambula males (K4 & K5)

Wonder if K12 was present, and what sort of reaction she might get from her brothers, without FE being involved, of course. Kambula Pride never ceases to amaze, splits in half, and then the halves still grow to be enormous prides, crazy!