There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom Cath2020 Offline

(11-12-2023, 07:19 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(11-12-2023, 09:21 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Black Dam Males this morning

*This image is copyright of its original author

They also mentioned S8 Males autopsy results, he had TB and his cheek was cracked. They also found a hornets nest in his genital region...

Cheek was cracked, what does that mean the inside or outside of his cheek was chapped? Hornets nest in his genital region, so those weren't ticks that I saw congregating? That is the craziest thing I've ever heard.

I imagine that with his cracked cheek that grooming himself would have been hard, if not impossible, for a long while.  Hence, the chance for parasites and other critters to take advantage of his weakened state.  Death must have been a relief to this lion, the pain having been excruciating.
3 users Like Cath2020's post

United Kingdom Cath2020 Offline

(11-13-2023, 12:51 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 12:42 AM)afortich Wrote: S8 autopsy determined that died of TB and broken cheek, and BDM 

So possible Buffalo kick to the cheek pushing the TB into overdrive?  I wonder how many people will apologize for ripping into all the rangers and vets that said TB that they were "totally completely stupidly wrong."

Hornets nest in the genitals?  Umm... nope, don't need to think about that one....

That's a terrible thought.  Poor boy.

Well, to be fair, there were 2 lionesses in the same pride that basically wasted away in front of the cameras, and there still is no official announcement as to what caused their deaths, leading to a lot of speculation Plus, here goes a third lion in the same pride that gets sick and dies so quickly....  If they had come out with the cause of the other deaths, maybe the blowback could have been mitigated somewhat.  I mean you film the pride and many see dying lionesses, then suddenly the S8 Male gets sick on camera and gets skinny and you wonder why people are not quiet....
3 users Like Cath2020's post

Ttimemarti Offline

The last female looks kinda skinny as well kinda but definitely not as big as she should be

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-14-2023, 04:21 PM by Tonpa )

(11-12-2023, 07:40 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(11-12-2023, 07:29 PM)Tonpa Wrote:

They also mentioned S8 Males autopsy results, he had TB and his cheek was cracked. They also found a hornets nest in his genital region...

Cheek was cracked, what does that mean the inside or outside of his cheek was chapped? Hornets nest in his genital region, so those weren't ticks that I saw congregating? That is the craziest thing I've ever heard.

That was all the details unfortunately regarding that wound, "A cracked cheek" word for word. They think he had some interaction with a buffalo shortly before he died. 

The hornets nest thing sounds so bizarre to me, I'm guessing the TB, a facial fracture and repeated stinging just overwhelmed his body?

Bizarre is the perfect adjective for the hornets nest. I remember thinking those "ticks" looked huge. Man, such a great, awesome, male lion, to go out like that is terrible, but as we all know, too well, this is how difficult their lives can be, all too often, unfortunately.

More information was given today, there was no hornets nest, it was a case of mishearing down the grapevine of a horn wound.

"Necropsy revealed lesions in the lungs consistent with tuberculosis...as well as an abdominal infection, peritonitis, from a punctured intestine. There was a small wound under the back right leg that was almost completely healed but it looked like he was hooked by a Buffalo and that's what punctured the intestine"
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-14-2023, 04:36 PM by Duco Ndona )

The problem is more that people on facebook hype up some male lions to such degree that the idea of them being defeated and dying in some mundane way no longer is concidered possible. So they make up all sorts of theories to correct for that often blaming the reserves. Even if there is absolutely no mystery at all.

Anyway.
Good to see a correction on that. An abdominal infection leading to sepsis is far more likely than a hornets nest.
5 users Like Duco Ndona's post

NLAL11 Offline

(11-14-2023, 04:08 PM)Tonpa Wrote:

That was all the details unfortunately regarding that wound, "A cracked cheek" word for word. They think he had some interaction with a buffalo shortly before he died. 

The hornets nest thing sounds so bizarre to me, I'm guessing the TB, a facial fracture and repeated stinging just overwhelmed his body?

Bizarre is the perfect adjective for the hornets nest. I remember thinking those "ticks" looked huge. Man, such a great, awesome, male lion, to go out like that is terrible, but as we all know, too well, this is how difficult their lives can be, all too often, unfortunately.

More information was given today, there was no hornets nest, it was a case of mishearing down the grapevine of a horn wound.

"Necropsy revealed lesions in the lungs consistent with tuberculosis...as well as an abdominal infection, peritonitis, from a punctured intestine. There was a small wound under the back right leg that was almost completely healed but it looked like he was hooked by a Buffalo and that's what punctured the intestine"

So it was the incident with the buffalo that did him in. Poor guy. But 10 years old is the typical age that males live to. I guess they're not as agile as the lionesses are, so maybe this sort of thing is more likely to happen as they get older.

Ironic that the last two dominant males of Talamati lionesses both met their ends at the horns and hooves of buffalos.
5 users Like NLAL11's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-14-2023, 04:35 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: But 10 years old is the typical age that males live to.

S8 was around/close to 12.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

NLAL11 Offline

(11-14-2023, 05:44 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-14-2023, 04:35 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: But 10 years old is the typical age that males live to.

S8 was around/close to 12.

Okay. I thought I heard Cedric say on Wild Fact recently that he was 10, but maybe they were mistaken.
4 users Like NLAL11's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-14-2023, 07:39 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Okay. I thought I heard Cedric say on Wild Fact recently that he was 10, but maybe they were mistaken.

They are saying that he is prob 10, nobody exactly knows, but theres photo of him in 2017 already with full mane and looks mature.

He was atleast 5 - 5.5 on that photo.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Ok, fantastic, thank you for sharing this. It now makes so much more sense, peritonitis is a deadly illness, that I have personally seen kill people very quickly.
2 users Like BA0701's post

NLAL11 Offline

(11-14-2023, 07:46 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-14-2023, 07:39 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Okay. I thought I heard Cedric say on Wild Fact recently that he was 10, but maybe they were mistaken.

They are saying that he is prob 10, nobody exactly knows, but theres photo of him in 2017 already with full mane and looks mature.

He was atleast 5 - 5.5 on that photo.

Yeah fair enough, that's probably the best (only) way to get an idea. Still an assumption though, as their mane's develop at different rates and ages. But you're right, he was most likely between 10-12.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Let’s say 11 he did look older I remember seeing tinyo and nhenha thinking Tinyo had to be older than nhenha he looked much much older than what he was said to be
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

United States afortich Online
Contributor

(11-14-2023, 08:08 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Ok, fantastic, thank you for sharing this. It now makes so much more sense, peritonitis is a deadly illness, that I have personally seen kill people very quickly.

Absolutely bro @BA0701, peritonitis if not treated early will be deadly. With this new information I think his dead got to do more with the infection of peritonitis, then, add the TB.
2 users Like afortich's post

United States afortich Online
Contributor

Summary showing the Southern Avoca, Ximhungwe cubs, Talamati DM, Tsalala girl, Talamati Breakway, Update on S8.

4 users Like afortich's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-14-2023, 11:52 PM)afortich Wrote: Summary showing the Southern Avoca, Ximhungwe cubs, Talamati DM, Tsalala girl, Talamati Breakway, Update on S8.

Is that a golf course in Skukuza? Sorry, there's a pride lying on the 8th fairway, play through, that is crazy! Then again, I grew up in the swamps of FL, and gators are rather common on the courses down there, I guess having grown up around them I have never viewed gators to be as menacing as lions.
2 users Like BA0701's post