There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-16-2021, 03:54 AM)Potato Wrote: I believe PC boys are there to stay so Avocas better be care full and stick together.
PC males seem to be always close to each other.
1 user Likes Potato's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Dominant Tumbela and Tsalala Female 

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

Torchwoods and Kruger male

"A really aggressive and protective male watches us from a termite mound, with cubs in the background. This was (apparently) a S8 male from KNP and the Mbali pride. You can also see that the male has an old broken front leg and looks pretty hungry."

2 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

A video of the fight, but we still can't see anything 

3 users Like Tonpa's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2021, 01:53 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-16-2021, 01:32 PM)Tonpa Wrote: A video of the fight, but we still can't see anything 

Hmm, if thats Scar or Limper, then thats very strange behavior from Othawas and Skorro Jr..

Any info how that attacked male is?
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Contributor

Maybe just a moment of confusion? She saw him close to the cubs and attacked, and Skorro Jr just joined in cos he was in the mood

I asked about his condition, hopefully he replies
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2021, 02:04 PM by Duco Ndona )

The pan away at the moment of the fight is frustrating. 

But from what I gather from whatever glimpses were visible. 
Limper or Scar approached the lioness. Which prompted a jealous reaction from Skorro which attacked him. As the fight happened in the midst of the cubs the other lionesses joined in to defend them.

In any case, Limper and especially Scar are very low on the picking order. They probably are beaten up regularly and I expect this to intensify as food becomes more scarce due to dry season.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2021, 02:27 PM by Tr1x24 )

What do you think, is this the "mystery" male?

*This image is copyright of its original author

Left whisker match, right is hard to see, but has 1 upper dot as "mystery" male aswell :

Photos are taken in early 2018 at Hoyo Hoyo in Mluwati Concession, age should match, as that male should be 4-5 yrs old.. That subadult was reffered as Mluwati young male and should be sired by Mluwati males..
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-16-2021, 02:02 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: The pan away at the moment of the fight is frustrating. 

But from what I gather from whatever glimpses were visible. 
Limper or Scar approached the lioness. Which prompted a jealous reaction from Skorro which attacked him. As the fight happened in the midst of the cubs the other lionesses joined in to defend them.

In any case, Limper and especially Scar are very low on the picking order. They probably are beaten up regularly and I expect this to intensify as food becomes more scarce due to dry season.

Old lioness attacked first, Skorro and Sassy followed..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2021, 02:39 PM by Tonpa )

(08-16-2021, 02:24 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: What do you think, is this the "mystery" male?

Left whisker match, right is hard to see, but has 1 upper dot as "mystery" male aswell :

Photos are taken in early 2018 at Hoyo Hoyo in Mluwati Concession, age should match, as that male should be 4-5 yrs old.. That subadult was reffered as Mluwati young male and should be sired by Mluwati males..

Good Match!
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

I guess then that interaction set off Skorros envy.

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2021, 06:46 PM by Brahim )

@Tr1x24 Good find bro. I see that whisker the same and that dot by nose. Highly likely same guy.
3 users Like Brahim's post

Contributor

Folks are saying he's from the Imbali Pride, cool!
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

@Tr1x24 any pictures of that young Imbali guys face from the other side. If we could match that other side too it would be a done deal
2 users Like Brahim's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2021, 08:10 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-16-2021, 07:33 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: @Tr1x24 any pictures of that young Imbali guys face from the other side. If we could match that other side too it would be a done deal

No, only these 2 photos, but both have 1 upper dot on that side also, and 1 small one in front (zoom to see) :

Note that these 2 photos are taken from completely different angle, so whiskers might appear different from standpoint of viewing, but they are not.. 

I think its him 100%, whiskers match.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post