There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-09-2021, 09:12 PM)Matimbalani Wrote:
(08-09-2021, 07:54 PM)Timbavati Wrote: A Timbavati update -  Skorokoro, the remaining Nharhu male is still alive and was around 50 meters away of the two Skorro males! Special thanks to Andi for the update

Is it known if they fought?

I didn't received that information yet. However, I'll post it here
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-09-2021, 09:22 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-09-2021, 09:17 PM)Potato Wrote: That would end up very ugly... Remining Nharhu male would be wise to abandon the arena.

Question is can he survive on his own? If not, then its not wise, yet better try to stay with RP and maybe together abandon the area or keep low profile somewhere in the corner, especially if Skorro's will be busy with Myambula pride and might navigate west because of that.

His chances to survive on his own surely are greater than his chances to survive while staying in the range of Skorro males. He could try to stay in the arena, but he would need to keep low profile and avoid Skorro males. Getting within distance like 50 meters from Skorros is asking for a disaster.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-09-2021, 10:17 PM)Potato Wrote: His chances to survive on his own surely are greater than his chances to survive while staying in the range of Skorro males. He could try to stay in the arena, but he would need to keep low profile and avoid Skorro males. Getting within distance like 50 meters from Skorros is asking for a disaster.

Ofc he would need to keep low profile and behave like nomadic male (not roaring, scent marking etc.)  

Leaving this area means he would enter another males territory, and to him unknown area, so its basically the same thing, or even worse..

Here he can try to follow RP who will be trying to avoid Skorro's, and if they succeed and Skorro's move away a bit (maybe west towards Myambulas) thats his chance, althrough very slim one.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The skittish of the two Skorro males looking regal as ever at Motswari Private Game Reserve

Photo credits: Sean Cawood Wildlife Content Creator

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Up-close and personal with one of the Mayambula sub-adults females sired by the two Mbiri males.
Photo credits. Andi (the_safari-channel)

5 users Like T I N O's post

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

4 users Like lionuk's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-11-2021, 12:51 AM)lionuk Wrote:

There are a few mistakes in the video. The Mbiri males didn't abandoned the Timbavati, they had a scuffle couple of times with the Nharhu males. The Nharhu males almost killed to the smaller-maned Mbiri male in late 2019. Around September/October or November, I don't remember well. The Nharhu males chased them again in May 2020.

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(08-11-2021, 01:52 AM)Timbavati Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 12:51 AM)lionuk Wrote:

There are a few mistakes in the video. The Mbiri males didn't abandoned the Timbavati, they had a scuffle couple of times with the Nharhu males. The Nharhu males almost killed to the smaller-maned Mbiri male in late 2019. Around September/October or November, I don't remember well. The Nharhu males chased them again in May 2020.

how did the almost killed the smaller mane?

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A Timbavati update!
UPDATE: The 3 Riverpride females, 1 sub-adult and 4 cubs were all seen this morning. The injured lioness seems to have recovered slightly and is moving with her sisters! They have been around Kings Camp for the last two days 
Information and Photo credits to: Cathan Moore

6 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-11-2021, 09:11 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: how did the almost killed the smaller mane?

Shaka was seen in late 2019 with bad injuries on his back legs / lower back area, he was definitely caught by 2 Nharhus, quite lucky to escape..

There was pictures but i cant find it now..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-11-2021, 09:11 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: how did the almost killed the smaller mane?
You can find history of their competition in "Lion Tales" topic and "almost killed is overexaggerated. As far as I remember Shaka was scratched all over, but had not any life threatning wounds.

(08-11-2021, 05:31 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: he was definitely caught by 2 Nharhus,
No one saw the fight. You do not know if he was cought by 2 or 3 Nharhus. It is more likely that he was cought by all 3 Nharhus as they were nomads by that time and mostly were spending time all together.
3 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-11-2021, 06:43 PM)Potato Wrote:
You can find history of their competition in "Lion Tales" topic and "almost killed is overexaggerated. As far as I remember Shaka was scratched all over, but had not any life threatning wounds.

(08-11-2021, 05:31 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: he was definitely caught by 2 Nharhus,
No one saw the fight. You do not know if he was cought by 2 or 3 Nharhus. It is more likely that he was cought by all 3 Nharhus as they were nomads by that time and mostly were spending time all together.

To be honest, it isn't over exaggerated. The smaller-maned Mbiri male was badly beaten and looked quite bruised. He had lucky of being alive.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-11-2021, 10:10 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The smaller-maned Mbiri male was badly beaten and looked quite bruised
He was. I am not saying he wasn't, but still "almost killed" are too big word to describe his injurys.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-11-2021, 10:24 PM)Potato Wrote: He was. I am not saying he wasn't, but still "almost killed" are too big word to describe his injurys.

Getting caught and mauled by 2 (or even 3) males i would describe as almost getting killed, regardless of injuries.. He was really lucky to get away, not many lions do..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A little throwback with the two Mapoza males. The older Mapoza male in the left and the younger Mapoza in the right
Photo  credits: Ziggi Hugo

4 users Like T I N O's post