There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Psyckoo Offline

I'm sorry if i ask a lot but did we know who sired the lioness of Sabi Sands expecelly Othawa and Mangheni lioness because i am confuse...

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(01-14-2021, 05:38 PM)Psyckoo Wrote: I'm sorry if i ask a lot but did we know who sired the lioness of Sabi Sands expecelly Othawa and Mangheni lioness because i am confuse...

2 older Othawa lionesses were sired by Mapogos while they were still coalition of 6. One younger female of Othawa pride and 2 younger in Mhangeni pride were sired by Majingilanes. The 3 older females of Mhangeni pride were sired by Eastern Mapogos.
3 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(01-14-2021, 01:55 AM)Psyckoo Wrote: Any news on Tsalala female ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI5f6fcA4iB/?igshid=yxz3lt11xcoj&fbclid=IwAR3xeFIyP9Lv2H_P1yCd33DAzec12q4PCJ7ABzS7gxNqVPUCWRcqbE3fo-I
1 user Likes Potato's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Junior Othawa with 3 Lionesses  14/01/2021

Attached Files Image(s)

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

Forgot to ask this a while back, but who sired the Tumbela boys?

Gijima Offline

Mystery male in northern SS (on the right.... he was trying to hang around Ximhungwe lioness)

*This image is copyright of its original author

This same male has been spotted another time alone running around Gowrie Gate.
4 users Like Gijima's post

Gijima Offline

(01-15-2021, 05:09 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Forgot to ask this a while back, but who sired the Tumbela boys?

Thanda Impi males. Sired them and the Tintswalo Males.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-15-2021, 05:34 AM)Gijima Wrote: Mystery male in northern SS (on the right.... he was trying to hang around Ximhungwe lioness)

Hmm interesting, any more info on this, was the Ximhungwe daughter with them?
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

''Young Southern Pride Lion covered in blood after a buffalo kill…''

credits: On the top of the photo

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Contributor

(01-13-2021, 11:15 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Hey guys, just found this new FB page about Sabi Sands and Mara lions:

https://www.facebook.com/Lion-Coalitions...091929107/

I scroll it a bit, and has pretty good and by most part correct info about famous lions and coalitions in this areas and their history..

I am not promoting that page or anything, i just found it and it looks like great place for people who want short info about history of those lions and coalitions at one place..

(01-15-2021, 10:30 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 05:34 AM)Gijima Wrote: Mystery male in northern SS (on the right.... he was trying to hang around Ximhungwe lioness)

Hmm interesting, any more info on this, was the Ximhungwe daughter with them?

I think so, there were 3 lions in the area

https://twitter.com/RApistevist2/status/...0340876288
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-15-2021, 05:48 PM)Tonpa Wrote: I think so, there were 3 lions in the area

Yea, i watched it on WE, very interesting interaction:

She was definitely not happy about him near her cub.. But thats very young male, prob around 3 yrs old, and was acting very submissive, only trying to get companionship, so he is no threat to the youngster..

There was cases of lone lionesses with cubs accepting other young male (Charleston female and HRM) so this might be quite interesting if the young male is stubborn enough..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor

Do you know who the cubs father(s) is?

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(01-15-2021, 07:19 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Do you know who the cubs father(s) is?

Her mother mated with Northern Avocas and HB Matimba before that cub was born.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-15-2021, 07:19 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Do you know who the cubs father(s) is?

Either N. Avocas (more likely) or Hairy Belly Matimba, Ximhungwes where seen with both in mid to late 2019..cub is around 1 yrs old now..

Ximhungwes where seen with HB in August/September 2019 and 1 lioness was already pregnant, that was from mating with N. Avocas, but HB also was seen mating with another Ximhungwe at that time.. So there is possiblity that this pregnant female lost her litter, and that another give birth later on..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Gijima Offline

This was a couple of weeks ago in Djuma. Looks like he’s been around for a while now but don’t have any good quality pictures. He’s alone for sure though.