There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Are the two subadult males old enough to hunt?

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(01-12-2021, 12:10 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Are the two subadult males old enough to hunt?

That is to big extend individual think so it is very hard to tell. I presume most of lions (possibly great most) at that stage wouldn't be able to fully take care of themselfs, but I believe some would. Other think is that most likely young males split off just for a couple of days and should reunite with some other group of Othawa pride members. Also it is fully normal that at that stage lions (males in particular) spent some of their time away from the rest of the pride practicing hunting on their own so I would not worry much about those males, but even the opposite - some time on their own should serve them well and prepare them more for future nomadic stage.
3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-12-2021, 12:51 AM by Tr1x24 )

(01-12-2021, 12:10 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Are the two subadult males old enough to hunt?

As @Potato said, it depends.. They can definitely hunt, but their success rate wouldn't be that great, so they might struggle if they miss few opportunities.. But they will be fine for short period of time, before they reunite..

Around 2.5 yrs is expected age when lions can survive on their own , but it depends on many factors (how many experience they have, how many of them is in the gruop, other lion/hyena activity in the area where they are etc..)

More problem for those kind of young subadult lions are other lions and hyenas then hunting, as they get chased of from majority of the kills they made as they are too weak to defend it..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Ottawa male

credits: Sean Zeederberg

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Psyckoo Offline

Sparta Queen Still alive, I really hope that this pride doesn't disappeared...

Credits to Facebook / Tengile River Lodge
2 users Like Psyckoo's post

Psyckoo Offline

Back in 2018, Mala Mala game reserve when the Fourways males where with their pride members.
One of the 2 here, now they are dominating in Kruger with Torchwood males...
There fathers were ennemies, there sons are 'brothers'...

Credits Facebook / Kirkman's Kamp guide @joshvdploeg
3 users Like Psyckoo's post

Gijima Offline

(01-13-2021, 02:44 AM)Psyckoo Wrote: Sparta Queen Still alive, I really hope that this pride doesn't disappeared...

That’s sad to see.... there was a report yesterday of Silver eye Talamati separated from her pride and apparently not good condition. It’ll be the end of an era when these lionesses, and the Ottawa aunties pass away...
3 users Like Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(01-13-2021, 04:58 AM)Gijima Wrote: That’s sad to see.... there was a report yesterday of Silver eye Talamati separated from her pride and apparently not good condition. It’ll be the end of an era when these lionesses, and the Ottawa aunties pass away...

Well, no one can live forever.. Silver Eye is also very old lioness, around 13 or more..She is most likely born in first offspring of Talamati pride, when they breakeaway in 2008, or maybe even before in Nkuhuma pride.. 

Those lionesses are definetly legends in this area..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Bangladesh sundarbans Offline

(01-13-2021, 04:58 AM)Gijima Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 02:44 AM)Psyckoo Wrote: Sparta Queen Still alive, I really hope that this pride doesn't disappeared...

That’s sad to see.... there was a report yesterday of Silver eye Talamati separated from her pride and apparently not good condition. It’ll be the end of an era when these lionesses, and the Ottawa aunties pass away...

Are all these lionesses sired by the Mapogos?

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(01-13-2021, 06:54 PM)sundarbans Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 04:58 AM)Gijima Wrote:

Are all these lionesses sired by the Mapogos?

Auntys Othawas yes, but that Talamati lionesses was sired by Nkuchuma males. She should be around 13 and half years old now so indeed really old lionesses.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

Hey guys, just found this new FB page about Sabi Sands and Mara lions:

https://www.facebook.com/Lion-Coalitions...091929107/

I scroll it a bit, and has pretty good and by most part correct info about famous lions and coalitions in this areas and their history..

I am not promoting that page or anything, i just found it and it looks like great place for people who want short info about history of those lions and coalitions at one place..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Psyckoo Offline

Any news on Tsalala female ?

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(01-14-2021, 01:55 AM)Psyckoo Wrote: Any news on Tsalala female ?

I haven't seen anything of her in ages. Good question btw
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Gavskrr Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-14-2021, 08:37 AM by sanjay )

(01-13-2021, 11:15 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Hey guys, just found this new FB page about Sabi Sands and Mara lions:

https://www.facebook.com/Lion-Coalitions...091929107/

I scroll it a bit, and has pretty good and by most part correct info about famous lions and coalitions in this areas and their history..

I am not promoting that page or anything, i just found it and it looks like great place for people who want short info about history of those lions and coalitions at one place..

a good suggestion, there are not many pages with summaries about the history of certain coalitions, for those who started to follow recently (me), it is a good source of knowledge
3 users Like Gavskrr's post