There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Gijima Offline

Sparta Pride- Death of the Second to Last Lioness
Credit: Josh Van Der Ploeg

*This image is copyright of its original author

This is an old picture of an Avoca male with a younger lioness from the Eyrefield pride. 

It is a weird feeling looking through photographs and seeing the animals immortalized there, even though their lifespan is far shorter than the “lifespan” of this image.

This lioness was never able to fall pregnant. When she met her untimely death over a year ago, the autopsy revealed that she had an old wound - a puncture through her uterine wall. Fluid from her body cavity had caused septicemia which had also prevented any fertilized embryos from ever settling in her uterus. 
4 users Like Gijima's post

Bangladesh sundarbans Offline

(01-18-2021, 10:02 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 06:38 PM)sundarbans Wrote: I find it quite strange that the Mhangeni pride has 5 adult females yet only 2 have given birth yet and the litters themselves were of only two cubs each. Are the younger females not sexually mature yet or are the older females unable to breed anymore?

Yep. These 5 females are well within reproductive age, yet only 2 or 3 have given birth.  There were 6 cubs initially, but only 3 were seen in the most recently footage.  I think 3 lionesses have given birth out of the 5 so far.  I haven't heard the other 2 denning yet.  It is certain that Pretty Girl (Big Boy's littermate and "twin" in terms of looks) has not given birth at all, however she already turned 5 last month.  I believe the other Manjing. daughter has given birth to 2, but lost both of them.  

We don't know if Pretty Girl is infertile until she starts mating with other males and doesn't conceive with them as well.  It could be that she's not responsive to the Othawa Male specifically.  Only time will tell.  After all, he is more related to the 2 Majing. lionesses than to the older ones, but he's also related to them as well.  

In addition, the OM came to the Pride as a 3 year old, so some of the lionesses might see him as more of an older brother/protector than as a hot father figure.....He never really had a long nomadic life, or has been tested much.  Could be a combination of factors. 

The OM has been with these lionesses over 2 years now, and if he waits until these 3 or 4 cubs reach 2 years old, he'll have been with them over 4!  That's a long time to be with the same pride of related females.

It is a possibility that the lionesses perhaps aren't receptive towards him as a dominant male. Coalitions around him such as the Avocas and Birminghams managed to sire cubs very quickly after taking over the prides. The Othawa Male seems to be a slow breeder in comparison.
1 user Likes sundarbans's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-21-2021, 06:43 PM by Tonpa )

Update on the sparta pride, it seems they've been joined by a third Lioness.

No information on the injury so far. You guys may have been right about it being just her lip.
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-21-2021, 06:41 PM by Tonpa )

Some photos and information from Guide Aidan Dunlop. (Taken 21-01-2021)

"The Nwaswitshaka Males seems to have the full control over the Styx & southern pride as well, believed that two of the Styx pride are pregnant now! "

7 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-21-2021, 07:22 PM by Tr1x24 )

(01-21-2021, 06:21 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Update on the sparta pride, it seems they've been joined by a third Lioness.

No information on the injury so far. You guys may have been right about it being just her lip.

Those pictures are from s21, those are not Sparta females..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Damn, how far is this from the sparta location?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-21-2021, 07:34 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Damn, how far is this from the sparta location?

Around 15 km.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(01-21-2021, 06:40 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Some photos and information from Guide Aidan Dunlop. (Taken 21-01-2021)

"The Nwaswitshaka Males seems to have the full control over the Styx & southern pride as well, believed that two of the Styx pride are pregnant now! "

They're looking so well now
1 user Likes T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-21-2021, 09:44 PM by T I N O )

(01-21-2021, 06:21 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Update on the sparta pride, it seems they've been joined by a third Lioness.

I have read that those pics were taken on the S21 road. Which means that is a pretty distance from the last update of the Sparta lioness.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Can they travel 15km in a day, or too much for the old lioness?

I wonder who they are

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-21-2021, 09:56 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Can they travel 15km in a day, or too much for the old lioness?

I wonder who they are

They certaintly would not in that state..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-21-2021, 10:56 PM by Tonpa )

Kambulas by Kishan Hansjee 21-01-2021
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

I saw some people talking about this on FB, they said some of the cubs were spared by the majingilane males, whiile one lioness (who was the last adult) was killed by the Othawas.

After that only the subs remained, one male and a few females. The male went nomadic and joined someone called "scar" and disappared after that. Another female went missing around this time too.

The final two survived until 2020 when one of them died, leaving behind the current female.
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(01-21-2021, 10:55 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Kambulas by Kishan Hansjee  21-01-2021

Those young males are going to be the jewels of Sabi Sands. Their blood is extremely good and legendary (Birmingham,Majingilane and Mapogo)
2 users Like T I N O's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-22-2021, 05:42 PM by Tonpa )

Saw this on facebook captioned "5th Mantimahle and son at MalaMala Game Reserve."

credit to @gameranger_reggi on instagram

These guys are making moves on kruger males territory?
5 users Like Tonpa's post