There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

T I N O Online
Moderators

TBT - A very young Blackdam male on the move at Thornybush Game Reserve (June 2013)
3 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

The magnificent Dundee male!
As per my friend Cathan Moore. This beautiful boy has born into the Dundee pride in 2014 and now independent. A lone male was seen north of the Nharhu territory two days ago
This means,That if this impressive boy born in the Dundee pride. He is related with the Nharhu males as they have the same fathers

Photo credits:Ivory Wilderness

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(10-24-2020, 07:03 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The Impressive Splinter male seen at Mufunyane this morning!
Photo courtesy of: Darryn Rentkze
October 2020

Splinter male. As per Cathan Moore He's the Dundee male born into Dundee pride in 2014. In my personal opinion,They're the same males
Any opinion could be greatly appreciate!

T I N O Online
Moderators

My blog of notes on lions.
Background of the Splinter male

4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

Exciting news!
Yesterday one of the Vuyela males was seen with a lioness (probably their sister) at Klaserie Private Nature Reserve. 
Quite incredible how big they’re now!! In the actually the Vuyela are the biggest coalition of the Greater Kruger National Park within Klaserie and Timbavati!
Photo credits:Emma Gatland 

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-29-2020, 05:47 PM by Potato )

(11-29-2020, 04:53 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Exciting news!
Yesterday one of the Vuyela males was seen with a lioness (probably their sister) at Klaserie Private Nature Reserve. 
Quite incredible how big they’re now!! In the actually the Vuyela are the biggest coalition of the Greater Kruger National Park within Klaserie and Timbavati!

Not that exiting. The are resident around Africa on Foot Klaserie already for somewhat over a years I think. In the past few months there was very little updates on them. I am curious if they already linked up with some pride or they are still on their own + their sister.
1 user Likes Potato's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(11-29-2020, 05:44 PM)Potato Wrote:
(11-29-2020, 04:53 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Exciting news!

Not that exiting. The are resident around Africa on Foot Klaserie already for somewhat over a years I think. In the past few months there was very little updates on them. I am curious if they already linked up with some pride or they are still on their own + their sister.
Actually not,They were moving through some Klaserie areas were nobody can go. 
From my personal opinion and point of view it was very exciting see them once again.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

The old Birmingham male (Smudge-nosed) on the move at Motswari Private Game Reserve
The Birmingham bloodline has always been a healthy and powerful one - And the original three old Birmingham males who ruled Ngala for many years contributed greatly to it. Apart from the famous five Birmingham male lions that conquered Sabi Sands they also sired the lionesses from the Nharu pride, a Birmingham Breakaway pride among others! After two of the old Birmingham males were presumably shot the smudge nosed joined forces with the Mabande male who had lost his partner, the big Ximpoko male, in a similar poaching incident in 2013. After the last Birmingham male had been poached as well (this incident is officially confirmed) 
Photo credits:Keith Connelly

5 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-29-2020, 06:51 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The old Birmingham male (Smudge-nosed) on the move at Motswari Private Game Reserve
The Birmingham bloodline has always been a healthy and powerful one - And the original three old Birmingham males who ruled Ngala for many years contributed greatly to it. Apart from the famous five Birmingham male lions that conquered Sabi Sands they also sired the lionesses from the Nharu pride, a Birmingham Breakaway pride among others! After two of the old Birmingham males were presumably shot the smudge nosed joined forces with the Mabande male who had lost his partner, the big Ximpoko male, in a similar poaching incident in 2013. After the last Birmingham male had been poached as well (this incident is officially confirmed) 

So all 3 old Birmingham males where poached.. Unbelievable..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(11-29-2020, 07:11 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-29-2020, 06:51 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The old Birmingham male (Smudge-nosed) on the move at Motswari Private Game Reserve

So all 3 old Birmingham males where poached.. Unbelievable..
Exactly. At least this was what I've read through the years on social medias. If I remember the old Birmingham male since then called Kinky tail was dominant around Thornybush too. Who knows! Perhaps they left their last offspring there. The Smudge-nosed old Birmingham male has mated with the Machaton lionesses as well. Some interesting things has happened during those times

BigLion39 Offline

Unreal. All 3 plus Mabande's partner Ximpoko? Plus so many more. I really hope there's some hiding in the bush hunting them poachers like they hunt animals. Sick.
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-30-2020, 04:04 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Unreal. All 3 plus Mabande's partner Ximpoko? Plus so many more. I really hope there's some hiding in the bush hunting them poachers like they hunt animals. Sick.

Exactly @BigLion39 ! When the Mapogos were in Sabi Sands, they employed anti-poaching Rangers, but for some reason they are no longer employed there. I had inquired about this in here some months ago, and nobody was sure as to why that was the case. It was saddening when I found out, I wish the brush was full of such people, to the extent that there was a real deterrent for the poachers, as for now they seem to operate with impunity. Then on top of it, you have these "private reserves" such as Sandrigham, where Giraffe Male, along with some of the lionesses from the Black Dam Pride, went at the beginning of September to due to a hole in the fence. @Tr1x24 did some research and found that Sandrigham has a history of poaching arrests, which brings us to today and Giraffe Male has not been seen or heard from since then. It's not enough that these animals have to face life and death daily due to their own kind, you have to add in wicked men and their corruption to the mix. An incredibly sad situation, as it would appear that these creatures have the deck stacked entirely against them from the start.

I know it used to be legal to shoot poachers on sight, not sure if that is still the law today. Not that it matters, if you don't employ any anti-poaching rangers, it would seem they have removed the biggest deterrent they had.

Gijima Offline

@BA0701 Sabi Sands (and all of Kruger) definitely has anti poaching units. The Timbavati used to allow trophy hunting so I’m wondering when they say “poached” do they mean hunted with full knowledge of the reserve? The Giraffe Male incident, like was mentioned here, is definitely more sketchy and I hope they are doing a better job fixing those fence so male lions don’t keep going “missing”. 

Here’s a good article I read from the Timbavati’s perspective ... it seems like they have stopped trophy hunting of lions, but I’m sure there are many bordering areas that still engage in illegal hunting and some of these anti poaching units can also be fairly corrupt.  :-/

https://www.conservationfrontlines.org/2020/04/staying-in-the-game-financing-the-timbavati-private-nature-reserve/
1 user Likes Gijima's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-30-2020, 08:28 AM)Gijima Wrote: @BA0701 Sabi Sands (and all of Kruger) definitely has anti poaching units. The Timbavati used to allow trophy hunting so I’m wondering when they say “poached” do they mean hunted with full knowledge of the reserve? The Giraffe Male incident, like was mentioned here, is definitely more sketchy and I hope they are doing a better job fixing those fence so male lions don’t keep going “missing”. 

Here’s a good article I read from the Timbavati’s perspective ... it seems like they have stopped trophy hunting of lions, but I’m sure there are many bordering areas that still engage in illegal hunting and some of these anti poaching units can also be fairly corrupt.  :-/

https://www.conservationfrontlines.org/2020/04/staying-in-the-game-financing-the-timbavati-private-nature-reserve/

Oh, well that is great news @Gijima , and thank you for clarifying this. I got my information from a Willem Botha video, in which he was photographed having darted the Mapogos, and in that video he said one of the pictures included some of Sabi Sands' finest anti-poaching rangers, and that they are "sadly no longer there". That was exactly what lead me to inquire why a few months back. I have no doubt that some of these types of rangers can be corrupt, especially in impoverished  areas, but then we have incidents like Cecil and the scumbag dentist and he gets away with such a thing. Tougher laws, and more importantly tougher enforcement of those laws is the only way to resolve such flagrant disregard for the law as we saw in the instance. The same can be said about Dreadlocks Mapogo, they find his hide in a hut, and from what I read nothing happened to the people who killed him. So long as enforcement is so lacking, there will never be a deterrent to such behavior. The people of these communities simply have to be taught the very real value of these creatures to their own lives, and until that happens such flaunting of the rules will continue, sadly.

We won't even discuss how said dentist baited Cecil, and then attempted to conceal his crime by moving Cecil's radio collar all over the place to make it seem he was still alive. They never found his head and skin, and personally I believe it resides on that dentist's wall at home, all while he faced no legal jeopardy.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

T I N O Online
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-30-2020, 05:09 PM by T I N O )

The bold and hansome Socha. One of two coalition partners covering the River Pride and who hold the centre of the reserve.
Photo credits: Ivory Wilderness