There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Notch Coalition Male Lineage

Portugal edtsousa Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-06-2016, 08:43 PM by edtsousa )

Hello guys,
I just found out this site as i was searching for some info on these lions. Posted a photo of two of them in 500px (link below); don't know which of the 2 lions can be. At the time saw a total of 4 males; this was about 10 miles NW of the mara river bend. Please correct or add any info I may be passing wrong! :)
Cheers to all. i'll probably post one or two more later on including same in color.

https://500px.com/photo/166556243
5 users Like edtsousa's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

(08-06-2016, 08:22 PM)edtsousa Wrote: Hello guys,
I just found out this site as i was searching for some info on these lions. Posted a photo of two of them in 500px (link below); don't know which of the 2 lions can be. At the time saw a total of 4 males; this was about 10 miles NW of the mara river bend. Please correct or add any info I may be passing wrong! :)
Cheers to all. i'll probably post one or two more later on including same in color.

https://500px.com/photo/166556243

That is desolate territory. Amazing that lions can inhabit such harsh looking terrain.
5 users Like chaos's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Apparently photo taken during the dry season which can be very hard in the Masai Mara. Only the strongest among lions can get enough to eat. the usual preys are gone... Only remain a few buffalos and warthogs, this one into their dens.
4 users Like Spalea's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Caesar, credits to Matira Magazin.

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Reinhard Radke Nature Photography:
Good opportunity to pay tribute to the most impressive lions I ever met – The Notches

The notches were by far the most powerful lion coalition, which roamed the Mara. I first met them in September 2008 in the Mara triangle. They were young, but had a special aura from the beginning. This is from my “Pride” shoot in October 2013, when they were heading to another group of four males in their territory.

Grimace was ready for the kill, but the intruders preferred to run, what was for them surely the best thing to do.

Brothers in arms. The fighting power of the notches had for long no match in the Mara and they took over one territory after the other, killing the young, siring offspring and moving on to the next territory. That disturbed heavily the balance in the Mara lion population. In the last years they calmed down, reigning mainly the area around Lookout Hill.

Few lions were so inspiring like the notches. They were special in many ways. Most other big males depend on the hunting of females to scavenge from them, but the notches were well capable to hunt for themselves and they did!

The notches even took on hippos, usually in the night. Not just weak or very young: They ambushed strong and healthy animals and brought them down in hour long battles. Here the other three had had their fill and rested away from the kill, while one had to stand guard.

The notches were very much respected by hyenas, as they didn’t hesitate to kill them. Here the wide ring of shining hyena eyes around stayed well clear of them.

They guarded the kill for two nights and two days changing the guard every few hours. Plenty was left for the hyenas…

8 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States jacksonsmash Offline

is it official that ron is dead.how many are left and what are their names?can anybody post maps of the various coalition territories in the mara? I have much to learn and need to catch up!I LOVE THIS WEBSITE        YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME. NO STUPID ARGUMENTS ON HERE JUST SHARING KNOWLEDGE.  I LOVE IT  .
6 users Like jacksonsmash's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Thank you Jackson.

I don't know if it's official about Ron, which is why I've refrained myself from stating anything.

Quote:how many are left and what are their names?
Two left, they are Notch 2

And Caesar

Quote:can anybody post maps of the various coalition territories in the mara?

That one is a bit more difficult, but we're doing our best to post about coalitions in the Masai Mara, in the thread "Other coalitions of the mara"

United States jacksonsmash Offline

thank you very much
2 users Like jacksonsmash's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

From Matira Magazin
Maasai Mara, we found the Notch Brothers Cesar & Notch 2 this morning. They were together with 3 females and the small cub.

6 users Like Gamiz's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

Ceasar, the biggest lion in the Mara.. currently its just him and his brother notch2 remaining..

Credits Reuben Matthews

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Notch 2, credits to Kalpesh.

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Notch 2 looking strong and healthy, credits to Sammy Kaleku.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Majingilane:

About #341 and 342: Yes ! Two beautiful photos showing clearly that Notch 2 is a beautiful male lion.

I always admit to have a soft spot for black and white photos... Wink
4 users Like Spalea's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

Caesar

Credits Reuben Matthews

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-21-2016, 05:58 PM by Ngala )

Majestic Caesar.

Photo and information credits: Carole Deschuymere - Wildlife Photographer
"beautiful male lion in the Masai Mara, on a clouded day" 29 August '16

6 users Like Ngala's post