There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kambula/Ntsevu males

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(06-12-2024, 06:51 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: As for K4 alias, it seems people dont like "Loose tail/Broken Tail",  "BigBoy" suggestion to me doesnt fit him either, he is not bigger then his brothers, just more muscular.

What do you think we invent something about his eyes, his eyes always look half closed, maybe "Slit Eyes" , which means having narrow eyes ??

*This image is copyright of its original author

"Slit Eyes" sounds like really cool name, and quite unique for lion (in fact i think nobody had that name).

See this does illustrate the problem with us trying to give them names, as we're almost never going to agree on something. Although that was kind of the point of the poll, to at least see what was most popular.

My issue with 'slit eyes', is that unlike a name like, say 'Slitnose', is that it's hardly a permanent feature. Yes, sometimes his eyes are half closed, but often they are fully open. The eyes half-closed things just speaks to his character. He's a dominant, assertive bad boy, and he knows it. Which is why the best name for him will probably be something about his personality. But, in my mind, Big Boy could also allude to his character. Pale Eyes/K3 for example, is probably not any smaller, but he is chilled and 'quiet', where as K4 has a big personality, as we would say if he was human.

And for him not necessarily being bigger than all the others, I don't think it matters so much. To my recollection, Big Boy Charlseton wasn't necessarily bigger than Mazino, as they were both big males. It was probably a similar case where he just didn't have any defining physical characteristics, unlike his brother/coalition partner who had the tooth hanging down. And that was where I got inspiration for the name. But that was my personal preferance, and those are my thoughts, but it doesn't mean I'm right, as your opinion and thoughts are just as valid and valued.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

I think we should call them as we’re doing so far, like K3, K4, K5, K6. Sooner or later WildEarth will give them official names as happened with their own fathers, the Birmingham males. 
3 users Like T I N O's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-13-2024, 06:08 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Big Boy Charlseton wasn't necessarily bigger than Mazino, as they were both big males.

BigBoy was quite bigger then Mazino.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-13-2024, 07:23 PM by Tr1x24 )

(06-13-2024, 06:23 PM)T I N O Wrote: I think we should call them as we’re doing so far, like K3, K4, K5, K6. Sooner or later WildEarth will give them official names as happened with their own fathers, the Birmingham males. 

Then idk why we even started with this?

Lets just call them K3, K4, K5, K6 and thats it..

Ofc that nobody will agree with all names, to me K5 is never 3Tooth, just doesnt fit him.

Someone else likes that, etc.

I think we better stick with K's and if they stay north, maybe they name them.

Even rangers on WE are using K's (atleast for K4).
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2024, 01:02 AM by Ngonya )

The four Kambula boys and their sister feasting on a buffalo kill, two young males with them on a kill

K6 seems quite irritated 
4 users Like Ngonya's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Anyone knows what happend to the older Kambulas? I remember they went south to Kruger into Phabeni territory and dissapeared

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-13-2024, 11:42 PM by Tr1x24 )

(06-13-2024, 11:29 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: Anyone knows what happend to the older Kambulas? I remember they went south to Kruger into Phabeni territory and dissapeared

They didnt dissapear, they are territorial around Nyamundwa Dam for a year now.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Wait wait I think it’s good to have i guess  “nicknames” to be able to ID them maybe like k2 (sniptail) or k4 (broken tail) but the original names stay it’s kinda like with their mothers and sisters just this pride is very big and it will be interesting if we get to see a k23 or k30 lol

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-13-2024, 11:13 PM)Ngonya Wrote: The four Kambula boys and their sister feasting on a buffalo kill, two young males with them on a kill

K6 seems quite irritated 

Very submissive from Kambulas being 4 strong and much older to allow some subadults into their kill... I begin to wonder if they will ever get dominant attidute if they did not get it that far already...
2 users Like Potato's post

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2024, 02:27 AM by Ngonya )

(06-13-2024, 07:19 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: to me K5 is never 3Tooth, just doesnt fit him.
U see a 4th tooth?

(06-14-2024, 02:13 AM)Potato Wrote: Very submissive from Kambulas being 4 strong and much older to allow some subadults into their kill... I begin to wonder if they will ever get dominant attidute if they did not get it that far already...
Indeed very submissive of them to do such a thing, and its not the first time they allow males that they easily outnumber to feed on their prize.

The boys are definitly not weak, they got numbers and impressive physical condition, their great skill on killing buffalo is the best way they've displayed their strength just yet. 
As many mentioned before, its clear that K3, K5 and K6 don't give a damn about mating nor females in general. K4 is the only one pursuing a pride male tittle in almost a year now. I think the boys will eventually feel like mating just like K4 and the need will get them to finally seriously try and fight for a territory. 

But why would they casually let other males (younger, weaker and/or outnumbered) to feed with them? This kind of tolerance isn't abnormal for nomadic males, but it is undeniably weird taking into account thats a big coalition of males and not the usual duo or solo nomad
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Call them what you want. Just add the K1 or K5 etc behind it so the rest of the world also knows who we are talking about.

It is indeed interesting behavoir. If they see themselves as a little pride or have a infantile development as theorized, they would see the new males as a threat.
But they seem to be pretty comfortable. I don't see any submissive behaviour or anything like that at all.

So its probably just a case of two nomadic groups meeting over enough food to negate any conflicts over it. And not some dark sign of behavioural issues.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2024, 03:51 AM by Ngonya )

(06-14-2024, 03:06 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Call them what you want. Just add the K1 or K5 etc behind it so the rest of the world also knows who we are talking about.

Yeah i personally try to keep the numbers in all of the posts.
Honestly i like the K + numbering. Ik that's their mothers 'names' but so what? No one is gonna mis ID them with one of the original Kambula females lol.
The nicknames suggested previously are not bad either (imo).

RookiePundit Offline

(06-14-2024, 02:25 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 07:19 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: to me K5 is never 3Tooth, just doesnt fit him.
U see a 4th tooth?

(06-14-2024, 02:13 AM)Potato Wrote: Very submissive from Kambulas being 4 strong and much older to allow some subadults into their kill... I begin to wonder if they will ever get dominant attidute if they did not get it that far already...
Indeed very submissive of them to do such a thing, and its not the first time they allow males that they easily outnumber to feed on their prize.

The boys are definitly not weak, they got numbers and impressive physical condition, their great skill on killing buffalo is the best way they've displayed their strength just yet. 
As many mentioned before, its clear that K3, K5 and K6 don't give a damn about mating nor females in general. K4 is the only one pursuing a pride male tittle in almost a year now. I think the boys will eventually feel like mating just like K4 and the need will get them to finally seriously try and fight for a territory. 

But why would they casually let other males (younger, weaker and/or outnumbered) to feed with them? This kind of tolerance isn't abnormal for nomadic males, but it is undeniably weird taking into account thats a big coalition of males and not the usual duo or solo nomad
IIRC, one of them (K5 I think) went back to Nkuhumas with K4 last? time and might have shown interest in lionesses but K4 had none of it, so he returned to the group instead.

Ttimemarti Offline

(06-14-2024, 03:48 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(06-14-2024, 03:06 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Call them what you want. Just add the K1 or K5 etc behind it so the rest of the world also knows who we are talking about.

Yeah i personally try to keep the numbers in all of the posts.
Honestly i like the K + numbering. Ik that's their mothers 'names' but so what? No one is gonna mis ID them with one of the original Kambula females lol.
The nicknames suggested previously are not bad either (imo).
That’s not what I said but ok

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2024, 11:29 AM by Tr1x24 )

(06-14-2024, 02:25 AM)Ngonya Wrote: U see a 4th tooth?

Yea, but K4 also have some features but people dont want to accept that alias because it "doesnt fit him". Well, to me 3T doesnt fit K5. So we have double standards..(But if we all agree I will accept it).

I think its best to call them K's, as we did so far, until reserves name them.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post