There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-27-2024, 08:44 PM)Go131810 Wrote:
(05-27-2024, 08:12 PM)Potato Wrote:
(05-27-2024, 05:24 PM)T I N O Wrote: Torchwood male was seen yesterday with a lioness at Balule River Lodge in KNP

*This image is copyright of its original author

Deos Monagawanes have pride of their own or is it just single lionesses that brokeaway from some bigger pride in the region, like SKorro pride?
I had a question. Does the Torchwood look like Nehena or Mfumu? He reminds me of Nehena. He has very beautiful mane.

He resembles Nhenha highly. Nhenha was the Birmingham who spent most of his time with the Torchwood pride. The sister of the Mongawane/Torchwood male also resembles to Nhenha a lot
3 users Like T I N O's post

Mwk85 Offline

1/2 Ross males. 

5 users Like Mwk85's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(05-29-2024, 05:37 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: 1/2 Ross males. 

Holy crap, what did he eat?! Looks like he swallowed an entire buffalo, whole!
5 users Like BA0701's post

adamstocks16 Offline

Ross Males still going strong! They turn 14 this year right? What an awesome duo those boys are.
3 users Like adamstocks16's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-29-2024, 06:42 AM)adamstocks16 Wrote: Ross Males still going strong! They turn 14 this year right? What an awesome duo those boys are.

Correct - They will turn 14 in December this year.
4 users Like T I N O's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Mapoza

6 users Like Mdz123's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

7 users Like Mdz123's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

So, where do we begin with this week’s round up?  I guess it would have to be with the lion cubs!  After Steven found them last week, the Sark Breakaway lioness kept the cubs just from our access road for a couple more days.  A second lioness has also got a litter of three cubs in the vicinity, but we have yet to see them ourselves.  I was lucky enough to get a chance to view the 7–8-week-old cubs late one afternoon, but as it was just off our access road, there was a bit more traffic than I would have liked – fortunately, the mother lion could have cared less!  Fortunately, the next morning she had rejoined with the other members of the Sark Breakaways, and brought the cubs deeper into our concession.  I made my way there in a dense mist, and man, was it worth the trip!  It was a treat to watch the tiny cubs interacting with their much larger pride members, and seeing how the poor mom was having to step in to make sure that the older cousins didn’t get too rough with the cubs!  The next day, the lioness had again returned the cubs to a den site under our main access road – clearly an area where she feels very safe.  As for the Sark Breakaways, they started the week by pitching up in the heart of Giraffe Pride territory; we suspect they may have been trailing the same buffalo herd as the Giraffe Pride, and heard the latter in the process of killing a buffalo – despite having more members, without the Hercules male present, the Sark Breakaways with one Vuyela male seemingly easily displaced the larger pride and stole their meal.  After a couple of days of feeding, the pride moved back west.

We also saw 16 members of the Giraffe Pride resting about 1km from their buffalo kill, with a couple of light scratches, but nothing serious.  One young male got trapped at the buffalo kill, but amazingly despite odds of 8-to-1, the Sark Breakaways didn’t push home their numerical advantage and let the young male walk away (three other members had been seen further west that morning, bringing their total to a complete count of 20).  The River Pride spent most of the week to the north of our concession after seemingly more hunting success.  We did see more of the pride (along with four Vuyela males) during the second half of the week, tracking them down on four occasions at the end of the week as they returned to their central territory.  With the four males hanging out with the pride, we heard the least roaring we have for some time now – we only had them roaring close to camp on a couple of occasions, otherwise all the roars we heard were some distance off.  The week ended with three Mayambula lionesses joining a single Birmingham Breakaway male in the south-eastern corner.  I didn’t venture south to see them, but it sounds like these lions had been in a scrap with one another.

5 users Like Potato's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

Interestingly enough, the Timbavati River Pride Subs were seen not long ago.  There were 3 members present, including the female!  So, one male possibly didn't make it.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-05-2024, 03:49 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Interestingly enough, the Timbavati River Pride Subs were seen not long ago.  There were 3 members present, including the female!  So, one male possibly didn't make it.

So, barring anything bad having happened to one male, the entire pride consists of one adult female, and three subs, including 2 males?
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I'm still watching so Idk if there're more lion sightings, but 1/2 Mbiri male and a Birmingham female showed up already on WILDwatch Virtual Safari:

3 users Like Mapokser's post

Sweden Ttimemarti Offline

Bigger southern black dam male has returned to thornybush!
4 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Canada Robot00 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-06-2024, 04:08 PM by Robot00 )

(06-06-2024, 03:28 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Bigger southern black dam male has returned to thornybush!
I guess his other southern brother might have not made it.

Hopefully he gets accepted back with his northern brothers but it's gonna tough
1 user Likes Robot00's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

(06-05-2024, 04:43 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 03:49 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Interestingly enough, the Timbavati River Pride Subs were seen not long ago.  There were 3 members present, including the female!  So, one male possibly didn't make it.

So, barring anything bad having happened to one male, the entire pride consists of one adult female, and three subs, including 2 males?

No, these are the Timbavati Rivers Subs only....whose members had to go nomadic at a very young age....possibly even before they turned 2, give or take a month.  They were originally 3 males and 1 female....youngsters of the Nharhu Males (3 males total when they were alive).  Xitaya was killed defending his pride/cubs against the Skorros.   There is still Skorrokoro, now over the Western Pride.  

They were not spotted in ages!
2 users Like Cath2020's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(06-06-2024, 03:28 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Bigger southern black dam male has returned to thornybush!

Didn't see that coming. Is that the one Khanya was dominating few days ago?
3 users Like sik94's post