There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Nkuhuma Pride

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-31-2024, 07:07 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Where are the Nkuhuma ym the youngest??? The 1 big talamati beat up

1 sub male is on the video.

I think it was never really clear if there was only 1 or 2 sub males, right @criollo2mil ?
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(03-31-2024, 07:35 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-31-2024, 07:26 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Khanya is still with them, but closer this morning. I have no idea where the BDMs are, but I don't like where this is currently heading, for the cubs, and the BDMs.

I dont think he is threat for the cubs, i think he is more joining them because of company then because he wants to takeover them or something, especially at this stage.

He did the same thing with unknown pride in Kruger not long ago.

I mean, if thats his intentions, he could just as well attack those subs, but he doesnt.

And in the end, as a nomad male who lost his brother just few months ago, i dont think he yet has confidence for such things.

In the past, his brother showed most agression towards other lions, he was more of a gentle giant joining parties around in a submissive tone.

According to Cedric in this most recent video, after he left them last night, another guide remained, and that guide told him that the females jumped on him and cuffed him up a little last night. The fact that he remains, and seems intent on just hanging and sleeping with them, I do believe your assumptions are exactly what is taking place. He's not taking over, he's just lonely and looking to be with other lions.
4 users Like BA0701's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(03-31-2024, 08:27 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(03-31-2024, 07:26 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Khanya is still with them, but closer this morning. I have no idea where the BDMs are, but I don't like where this is currently heading, for the cubs, and the BDMs.

I dont think he is threat for the cubs, i think he is more joining them because of company then because he wants to takeover them or something, especially at this stage.

I mean, if thats his intentions, he could just as well attack those subs, but he doesnt.

And in the end, as a nomad male who lost his brother just few months ago, i dont think he yet has confidence for such things.

In the past, his brother showed most agression towards other lions, he was more of a gentle giant joining parties around in a submissive tone.

According to Cedric in this most recent video, after he left them last night, another guide remained, and that guide told him that the females jumped on him and cuffed him up a little last night. The fact that he remains, and seems intent on just hanging and sleeping with them, I do believe your assumptions are exactly what is taking place. He's not taking over, he's just lonely and looking to be with other lions.

Ye it was said that a bunch of elephants actually pushed him towards the females which allowed them to grab hold of him before the elephants chased the lions to stop the commotion they only enhanced. 

The way I see it, Khanya certainly doesn’t want to takeover right now but he’s not as innocent as a young nomadic male either. If he finds the cubs he’ll definitely kill them, if he happens to stumble across them, I can’t see him seeking the cubs out. Still enough of a threat to be taken seriously tho.
3 users Like KM600's post

Super Moderator

(03-31-2024, 08:53 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(03-31-2024, 08:27 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Ye it was said that a bunch of elephants actually pushed him towards the females which allowed them to grab hold of him before the elephants chased the lions to stop the commotion they only enhanced. 

The way I see it, Khanya certainly doesn’t want to takeover right now but he’s not as innocent as a young nomadic male either. If he finds the cubs he’ll definitely kill them, if he happens to stumble across them, I can’t see him seeking the cubs out. Still enough of a threat to be taken seriously tho.

Chela has not checked on the cubs at all, according to this video, so she is definitely concerned enough about that to not lead him anywhere near them. Better to leave them on their own for a bit, than to take that chance. Still, he's not messing with the subs, but neither did the BDMs. I think the Nkuhumas are really good about looking after their young.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Friarfan619 Offline

(03-31-2024, 08:15 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-31-2024, 07:07 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Where are the Nkuhuma ym the youngest??? The 1 big talamati beat up

1 sub male is on the video.

I think it was never really clear if there was only 1 or 2 sub males, right @criollo2mil ?

Cool not sure how I missed him in a 1hr video lol
2 users Like Friarfan619's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I doubt the BDM have any intention of affording any protection to the pride.

They are very rarely seen with the pride, even now after the Kambulas stopped pressuring them.

And when they are with the pride it's not even the bulk of it, but rather some lioness in heat.

BDM are semi-nomadic. The north is no man's lands.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Unrelated Male lions are always a threat to the cubs. So I hope he is chased off soon enough by the pride. Otherwise he will likely find his end when one of the more mature coalitions return. 
Its sad, but the lion world is no place for making sentimental errors like that.

I agree that this should be prevented by a proper coalition. If the BDMs are not even capable or willing of dealing with this, it does not forebode well for the future of this litter.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Nkuhuma lionesses with Khanya

4 users Like afortich's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

So Mohawk and gang left to Kruger again? Shame that Talamati missed them, as he might had a chance for linking with them again.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Offline

(04-01-2024, 12:58 AM)afortich Wrote: Nkuhuma lionesses with Khanya
So the Nkuhuma pride is just accepting anyone?
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Super Moderator

(04-01-2024, 02:38 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(04-01-2024, 12:58 AM)afortich Wrote: Nkuhuma lionesses with Khanya
So the Nkuhuma pride is just accepting anyone?

I am not sure they have accepted anyone, Khanya just keeps following them. When he is a distance away from them, they seem to take a submissive posture towards him, but when he comes close they are not shy about letting him know that they don't like it, through a lot of growling, and they even jumped on him last night. In spite of that, he just continues to linger, and even sleep amongst them.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Ngonya Offline

(04-01-2024, 03:10 AM)BA0701 Wrote: I am not sure they have accepted anyone, Khanya just keeps following them. When he is a distance away from them, they seem to take a submissive posture towards him, but when he comes close they are not shy about letting him know that they don't like it, through a lot of growling, and they even jumped on him last night
Thanks for the explanation, that makes more sense.
I thought they were tolerating any male, that would be bad.
Seems like hes forcing himself in just like Mangheni Big Boy used to(?)
2 users Like Ngonya's post

Super Moderator

(04-01-2024, 03:15 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(04-01-2024, 03:10 AM)BA0701 Wrote: I am not sure they have accepted anyone, Khanya just keeps following them. When he is a distance away from them, they seem to take a submissive posture towards him, but when he comes close they are not shy about letting him know that they don't like it, through a lot of growling, and they even jumped on him last night
Thanks for the explanation, that makes more sense.
I thought they were tolerating any male, that would be bad.
Seems like hes forcing himself in just like Mangheni Big Boy used to(?)

Exactly, my thoughts as well, except Big Boy was brought into the mix by NYM, and even then they gave him a hard time at times, and the two of them would split when the Avocas would come around.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 04-01-2024, 04:42 AM by BA0701 )

Khanya is still with them this afternoon, but now there seems to only be two lionesses with him, and the others, including Chela are nowhere to be seen. I'd assume that Chela is off to visit the cubbies. Guide said the BDM are still around, but they have a really large area to cover.

An aside, but the guide mentions he got to witness the Mapogo, said he saw one Mapogo single handidly keep about 30 hyena off a kill. But, he also mentions a group of 9 males from the Southern Pride, said that the Mapogo killed one of those males and scattered them, and he did not hear any more about them. Does anyone know of the males he is talking about? I don't recall hearing about 9 males from the Southern Pride, unless they went by a different name, and even then I definitely don't recall hearing about a coalition that was 9 strong, other than the Skybeds, and they were 10 deep.

Apologies for these edits, but in trying to get these lengthy videos shared with you all, I did not watch the entire video before sharing it. Towards the end of this video, the guide stated that he watched Khanya walk right up to the two lionesses, one of whom is Chela, and there was nothing, no growling, nothing. It seems strange that even when they leave they seem to be returning to where he is and laying near him. Guide also says, towards the end of the video, that he hears hyenas in the are area he believes the den site to be, and Chela is not reacting to it.

5 users Like BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

All I can think is that he must be confused remembering stuff from 16-18 years ago.

9 males from the Southern Pride? Mapogos killing one and scattering the rest? It doesn't ring any bells.

Something of this nature would probably have been documented somewhere and be well know.

The closest I can think to anything similar to what he describes was when, in 2011, the 3 remaining Mapogo chased and scattered the 5 Southern/Selati subadult males, but they didn't even caught any of them, and 5 is almost half of 9.
2 users Like Mapokser's post