There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A king on a mission!

A very recent sighting of the impressive Hercules male on an early territorial patrol in Timbavati! What a gorgeous beast of male lion

Photo credit: @Kayla Thompson
Timbavati Game Reserve

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like T I N O's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

The Avoca young male that was partner with Guernsey male.

4 users Like afortich's post

Mwk85 Offline

The Black Dam males launched an attack on Mapoza and the pride while they were attempting to take down a buffalo. One of his sons was caught and suffered injuries to his spine and genitals. Not sure of the severity of the injuries.

7 users Like Mwk85's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

Wow, surpise ambush!!!  Poor sub.  Unlucky
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Mapoza cant do anything here.

I guess he is "lucky" that he has sons with who he can move off as nomad.

Unfortunatley, Monwana pride has smaller cubs aswell, their future is uncertain, as its very likely BDMs will overtake that area.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(04-30-2024, 11:40 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: The Black Dam males launched an attack on Mapoza and the pride while they were attempting to take down a buffalo. One of his sons was caught and suffered injuries to his spine and genitals. Not sure of the severity of the injuries.

Mapoza male was really lucky!
1 user Likes T I N O's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-30-2024, 11:40 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: The Black Dam males launched an attack on Mapoza and the pride while they were attempting to take down a buffalo. One of his sons was caught and suffered injuries to his spine and genitals. Not sure of the severity of the injuries.

It is very odd, and impossible to see, as the camera panned away. but it looks like it may be a young male hanging onto the face of that buffalo. The camera follows the running lions, but the guide on the front of the truck points back at where the buffalo is, implying something is happening there. When the camera pans back, the lion is no longer hanging onto the buffalo, the buffalo looks around as if saying "WTF?!", and begins walking away, but you can see the legs of the lion that was holding it, now laying still, and moving slowly.

I do not know if that was the same male that was caught, or even know for a fact that was a male, but if that is, that has got the be the fastest mauling in history.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-01-2024, 01:27 AM)BA0701 Wrote: It is very odd, and impossible to see, as the camera panned away. but it looks like it may be a young male hanging onto the face of that buffalo. The camera follows the running lions, but the guide on the front of the truck points back at where the buffalo is, implying something is happening there. When the camera pans back, the lion is no longer hanging onto the buffalo, the buffalo looks around as if saying "WTF?!", and begins walking away, but you can see the legs of the lion that was holding it, now laying still, and moving slowly.

I do not know if that was the same male that was caught, or even know for a fact that was a male, but if that is, that has got the be the fastest mauling in history.

Thats Mapoza on the buffalo, BDMs miss him.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(05-01-2024, 01:58 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-01-2024, 01:27 AM)BA0701 Wrote: It is very odd, and impossible to see, as the camera panned away. but it looks like it may be a young male hanging onto the face of that buffalo. The camera follows the running lions, but the guide on the front of the truck points back at where the buffalo is, implying something is happening there. When the camera pans back, the lion is no longer hanging onto the buffalo, the buffalo looks around as if saying "WTF?!", and begins walking away, but you can see the legs of the lion that was holding it, now laying still, and moving slowly.

Thats Mapoza on the buffalo, BDMs miss him.

He sure was slow moving, after letting go of that buffalo. There's stealth, and then there's Mapoza stealth, a fantastic strategy! All kidding aside, I really hope the young male is not too badly injured. Those N BDMs work really well together, I wish their younger bros did as well.
4 users Like BA0701's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

One of the epic chapters of resiliency is about to close.

Hope you won’t suffer much longer my boy Sad

WARNING: Sensitive in Nature

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(05-01-2024, 11:37 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: One of the epic chapters of resiliency is about to close.
He still lived very long considering how bad his leg was and that he was nomadic.
4 users Like Potato's post

Super Moderator

(05-01-2024, 11:37 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: One of the epic chapters of resiliency is about to close.  

Hope you won’t suffer much longer my boy Sad

WARNING:   Sensitive in Nature

When his brother died, many were shocked, believing surely this boy would have been the first of them to pass. To watch his struggles from afar, one can't help but wish for his successes, now he is nearing the end, and still his story touches us. Gutted.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Was it 3 northern black dam males that attacked or 4? I know the 4th probably wasn’t with but just asking
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Contributor

The Monwana YM injured by the Black Dams

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like criollo2mil's post

Contributor

1/2 Mongawane, Torchwood was seen three weeks ago trying to mate w a female.

8 users Like criollo2mil's post