There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(03-11-2024, 12:46 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Could be, but the one thing that we do know is that it is almost always the males who drive them out. Who made the decision that it was time? Your guess is as good as mine on that one.

I don't think a "decision" is made to push the young males out from the coalition or the pride. As the young males start demanding the respect of an adult, the adults start treating them as adults which kind of weakens the bond over time. The males especially will start seeing the actions of their sons as a challenge when they stop behaving like submissive subadults, at some point independence becomes the more favorable option compared to constantly being pushed around by the males and slapped around by the females who are busy with the next generation of litters. For young males that are confident in themselves, that point of when independence becomes the better option comes a lot sooner compared to let's a lone young male who will stick around as long as possible knowing what awaits him out there.
1 user Likes sik94's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 03-11-2024, 05:30 AM by BA0701 )

(03-11-2024, 05:26 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 12:46 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Could be, but the one thing that we do know is that it is almost always the males who drive them out. Who made the decision that it was time? Your guess is as good as mine on that one.

I don't think a "decision" is made to push the young males out from the coalition or the pride. As the young males start demanding the respect of an adult, the adults start treating them as adults which kind of weakens the bond over time. The males especially will start seeing the actions of their sons as a challenge when they stop behaving like submissive subadults, at some point independence becomes the more favorable option compared to constantly being pushed around by the males and slapped around by the females who are busy with the next generation of litters. For young males that are confident in themselves, that point of when independence becomes the better option comes a lot sooner compared to let's a lone young male who will stick around as long as possible knowing what awaits him out there.

Did you read the comment I was responding to? That comment was more of my injecting some humor, than to be taken seriously.

Btw, I agree with you, on all of it, I don't think there is a decision made either, if in fact lions are even capable of making a decision.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Mwk85 Offline

Better sighting of the White Birmingham male. 

4 users Like Mwk85's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-10-2024, 06:19 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: White Birmingham male. Tried to share the link to the authors post but it unfortunately wouldn't load.

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author
He is looking in great condition!!
4 users Like Timbavati's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(03-11-2024, 05:55 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Better sighting of the White Birmingham male. 

Wow, he is looking absolutely incredible!
1 user Likes BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(03-11-2024, 08:26 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 05:55 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Better sighting of the White Birmingham male. 

Any update on the two brothers of this good looking guy??
2 users Like afortich's post

Contributor

Avoca young male and Guernsey male

4 users Like afortich's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-11-2024, 10:49 PM)afortich Wrote:

Maybe @"Brahimlegend" knows
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Mwk85 Offline

(03-11-2024, 10:49 PM)afortich Wrote:

I've seen several people state that they're with him but haven't been able to find any photos/videos of them yet. I'm on the lookout though, will share if I come across anything.
2 users Like Mwk85's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

The two Mongawane male lions (the Torchwood Male, back, & Birmingham Male) seen on the H7 in the Kruger National Park today - Photos by Kim Buckley Wright

Attached Files Image(s)

12 users Like criollo2mil's post

Mwk85 Offline

Unfortunate news on the Avoca Pride. From the original six (6) cubs only two (2) now remain, from what I've read it seems that the pride has only been making small kills lately and those kills that are made have in turn been taken by the three (3) Black Dam males, leaving not enough for the females to generate a sufficient amount of milk for the cubs. 

*video is from when the five remaining cubs were all alive*

5 users Like Mwk85's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-11-2024, 10:51 PM)afortich Wrote: Avoca young male and Guernsey male

Btw. it is said by Shindzela guide that it is one of the Birmingham breakaway females so it seems that those two guys are challanging Ross males now.
4 users Like Potato's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-13-2024, 05:33 PM by Brahim )

The guys there said that White Birmingham male wasn't alone his bros were with him. Not seen pics though.
4 users Like Brahim's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-14-2024, 11:12 PM by afortich )

(03-12-2024, 06:12 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: The two Mongawane male lions (the Torchwood Male, back, & Birmingham Male) seen on the H7 in the Kruger National Park today - Photos by Kim Buckley Wright

Wow, so happy to see these guys after so long. They look great!!
BYM's mane at the top is more bushy now. Thank you for the pics bud!!
3 users Like afortich's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-19-2024, 06:46 PM by Tr1x24 )

Rumors are that apperantly Avoca young male, partner of Guernsey male and son of Mapoza was killed by Mbiri males.

2 boys are seen in Ngala for months, roaring and messing with both Ross and Mbiri males and their prides.

Lets wait and see if its true.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post