There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity

United States Siegfried Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-03-2019, 12:59 PM by Rishi )

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Here are a couple of more girls together

*This image is copyright of its original author

Bigcat Enthusiast

Same girls from the enclosure

Wildanimal Enthusiast

Pantherinae Online
Bigcat Enthusiast

Poor animals! 

Bigcat Enthusiast

Nothing better than deformed white tigers and lions being fed in a tiny cage for human enjoyment.
[img]images/smilies/dodgy.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/dodgy.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/dodgy.gif[/img]

As inhumane as it would be, any and all N. American Captive bred lions and tigers without studbooks should be nuetered and left to live their lives then it should be absolutely illegal for any Zoo that is not designated as a Pure bred sanctuary should be destroyed. N. America may not like that since not a single pure bred Bengal or Siberian live here, but too bad.
And then the sumatrans should all be consolidated to a few sanctuaries.

It may be a pipe dream, but its the right thing to do. These cats serve no purpose in conservation or education. 
Disgusts me every time I see it.

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

Captivity is an aspect of human society that cannot be ignored. We all have had some experience with the non-human at such facilities, whether it be zoos, safaris, circuses, and the like. Post any interesting photos or videos of your or others' experiences with captive animals here.

Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-16-2014, 08:15 AM by tigerluver )

An interesting bear I came across. A paradigm of gentle giant, Juuso.

1 user Likes tigerluver's post

Moderators

Posted by Pckts:
While I'll never agree with the breeding of Captive animals for profit, the fact that so many exist today is quite sad. Hopefully more place's like Noah's Ark https://www.facebook.com/NoahsArkAnimalSanctuary continue to strive for the education of the cruelty that breeding these animals for profit does to them.
The excuse that a Hybrid Tiger or Circus bear helps educate people and decrease the chance of animal cruelty is wrong, IMO.

Noah's ark does a great job of showing us that even though these different species may never run into eachother in the wild, if they share common traumatic expierences, they need companionship to help cope with the abuse they have suffered. They make sure to Nueter their animals so no more irresponsible breeding takes place, but they make sure that the nutered animals still get to live a good quality life that they deserve.

Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-16-2014, 08:26 AM by tigerluver )

Posted by Pckts:
A couple of great Rescue stories from Noah's Ark

"I told you never to talk to me that way again in front of the guests!", stated Little Anne. Poor Doc...sometimes he just can't win. To think that this 560 lb tiger is bossed around by a 160 lb American black bear is laughable. Why he tolerates it, we'll never know. Brotherly love, paternal love...who knows. All we do know is that they do love each other, play together, sleep together....it's amazing. #tiger #bear #noahsark http://www.noahs-ark.org

Noah's Ark Animal Sanctuary Little Anne is an American Black bear who was a wild caught orphan kept by a small church in North Georgia until Department of Natural Resources placed her in our care. We had no bears she could socialize with at the time and about a month later, Doc the Bengal tiger was surrendered from a private zoo that no longer wanted him because he was too old to legally be used to make money by allowing the public to pet him. Both would have been euthanized if we had not had taken them. Young animals, domestic or exotic, must have physical contact with other animals if they are to be mentally and emotionally healthy, happy adults. The two showed interest in one another so the decision was made to introduce them, and they interacted beautifully. We have and continue to carefully monitor their behaviors, both as separate species and together. They are very bonded to each other and as long as they are happy and healthy (as deemed by our full time veterinarian and keeper staff, who are certified animal behaviorists, trainers, and zoologists) they will continue to live together

Tiger Lilly and Lion Liberty
She's about to jump on me, isn't she? I'm going to sit here, looking like the awesome cat I am until she bites me, then I'm going to chase her 'round and 'round. Then I'll hold her down and pull her tail 'cause that's what awesome cats with #cattitude like me can do! Tiger Lily and Liberty are quite the pair when they're engaged in play. You never know what they'll get up to next. #caturday #lion #tiger #noahsark http://www.noahs-ark.org

Anna Lou and Angus are coming along beautifully! Anna Lou is a Syrian brown bear and Angus is an American black bear. They are in our private rehab area for now, but we have begun fundraising for their habitat. We need to build a specialized habitat just for them. Bears need a spacious area to roam as well as hammocks to play in and their trees need particular attention because they will still climb some while they are young. With your help, we can build them a habitat that they will enjoy throughout their natural lifespan to include a natural waterway and lots of room to roam.

Noah's Ark is a 501©(3) Non-Profit organization and your donations are tax deductible. We have 1,500 animals of 100 different species and it costs approximately $33,000 per month to feed and care for the animals. We are completely debt free and receive no federal or state money, which means we receive no money from any taxpayer funded programs. We rely solely on donations from the private sector. Each and every animal that calls Noah's Ark home deserves the very best that we can offer them as an exotic in captivity. Your help allows us to provide them a good life and we could not do this without you. You can help build their habitat by donating at the following link, or to paypal at [email protected] (please specify "Bear Habitat") or by mail to 712 LG Griffin Road, Locust Grove, GA 30248 (please specify "Bear Habitat") or Crowdrise at https://www.crowdrise.com/BabyBearHabitat #buildabearhabitat #noahsark #bear http://www.noahs-ark.org

and of course, the famous
BLT
The #BLT (which stands for bear, lion, tiger) were all born in early 2001 and came to Noah's Ark in the summer of 2001. Baloo the American Black Bear (Ursus americanus), Leo the African Lion (Panthera leo), and Shere Khan the Bengal Tiger (Panthera tigris tigris) were discovered in an Atlanta home's basement by police officers during a drug raid. At only a few months old, all three cubs were frightened, malnourished, and infected with internal and external parasites when the Georgia Department of Natural Resources brought them to Noah's Ark. Shere Khan the tiger was underweight and malnourished, but with the treatment of his parasites and a healthy diet, he began to regain his cub like energy and appetite, as well as increase in weight. He is the lowest on the BLT totem pole and the most mischievous, always pouncing Baloo and Leo. Shere Khan also seeks out affection the most and numerous times throughout the day he rubs heads and grooms his brothers, strengthening their bond. Bengal tigers are native to parts of India, Nepal, Bangladesh and Bhutan and because of habitat loss and poaching, they have a conservation status of endangered. Leo the lion had an open, infected wound on his nose from being cruelly confined to a small crate. With room to stretch his growing legs and proper diet and veterinary care, the wound on his nose healed although he still carries a scar from his abuse. He is very stoic and enjoys napping on the porch of his clubhouse. Although he seems lazy, Leo turns into a different cat during enrichment time and is always the first to grab a toy or explore a new scent. Lions are native to Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia and although their distribution area is massive, they have a conservation status of vulnerable because of the introduction of disease, habitat loss and hunting. Baloo the American Black Bear was in the worst condition of the three cubs rescued, with a severely ingrown harness digging into his flesh because it was never loosened as he grew in size. The harness was so ingrown that his flesh had begun to grow over and around it, and surgical intervention was required to remove the harness and clean his deep, infected wounds. During Baloo's surgery was the only time the three brothers have ever been separated from one another, and Shere Khan the tiger and Leo the lion became extremely agitated because of it, pacing and vocalizing for the lost member of their family to return. After his surgery, Baloo was returned to his brothers and the three have been together ever since, with hardly a quarrel between and will do anything for a sweet treat. American black bears are native to most of North America and vary greatly in both size (the largest recorded was over 800 lbs) and color (can be black, brown or blonde). They are skilled survivors and have a conservation status of "least concerned" despite the increasing number of human/bear conflicts. Baloo, Leo and Shere Khan eat, sleep, and play together and even seek out grooming and affection from one another, head rubbing and licking each other. Their terrifying early months in life bonded the three together and they are truly inseparable despite of their obvious differences.

Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-16-2014, 08:26 AM by tigerluver )

Posted by Pckts:
Noticed the Doc and Little Anne image didn't show, Ill try a couple more
Weighing Doc

@Pckts Somehow the original thread was deleted by me editting a post... I saved all this and reposted it here. I ask if you could please repost this so it is under your name, just copy and paste this text and I can re-add the pictures if needed, sorry about that.

Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-16-2014, 08:18 AM by tigerluver )

@chaos, as I said to Pckts, please repost this and I'll remove my placeholder posts, sorry about that.

Bigcat Enthusiast

Lion and Tiger pool time Play

Wildanimal Enthusiast

I wonder if any of these videos of a youngsters playing are of the same pair just at different times.

Wildanimal Enthusiast

This one is just terrible.  I wouldn't really characterize this as a fight, but rather a skirmish over food.  There doesn't seem to be the same genuine affection between the species in this particular video as seen in the earlier posts.  Perhaps feeding time brings out the worst in them or maybe they were just thrown together as adults and have figured out that lions stay here and bears stay there.  The bears seem far more ok with the situation than the lions seem to be.  The lions look quite stressed.