There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-30-2017, 10:34 AM by Rishi )

None of the following are my work, copied from a travelogue.
Van-vihar National park, Bhopal- A unique concept.

The van-vihar national park is a cross between a zoo and a reserve forest. Spread over 4.45 square kms., it is situated in the heart of Bhopal. Flanked on one side by the Bhopal lake, it is truly picturesque. While tourists are allowed to drive through a designated road, we had the opportunity to drive into the park itself. The animals are kept in their near natural habitat. I'll let the pictures do the talking now....
The first three pictures are of two man-eaters captured and kept within electrified fences. The reason for the precaution.....one of them had almost managed to tunnel out from under the regular enclosure just a few days back.

Attached Thumbnails

*This image is copyright of its original author

2 users Like Rishi's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-30-2017, 01:31 PM by Rishi )

A walk in the Park - Bannerghatta National Park

Having started school, the kid was getting restless on the weekends. And I was itching for a drive somewhere close-by. So, we decided to visit Bannerghatta National Park on Sunday. 

A quick review

The drive to the Park was excellent. We left around 9:30AM and reached there by 10:15. We went through NICE road paying the 30Rs one way toll. Its always a pleasure to zip through NICE road and we were at the National Park quickly. I'd recommend people on the Sarjapur Road / ORR / Whitefield area to do this. Its easier than bouncing through BTM / Bannerghatta road. 

Once we reached, we paid the parking charges of 20Rs and entered the park. The parking lot is a bit of a drive but the lot is well laid and maintained. Being early, it was easy to get a good spot. (Do try to park under one of the sparingly few trees on the lot). From the parking lot, the ticket counters are about 150 meters. There are no boards pointing the way towards the ticket counters. Its all intuitive Indian path-finding at its best. 

The queues were just building up and we were able to get our tickets in a few minutes. The fees are

Grand Safari + Zoo = 210 Rs / adult and 40 (I think) per child
Camera - 25 Rs 

The Safari was good. The safari van was reasonably clean (maybe its the first trip). The driver didn't rush through when he spotted animals. Would move the van a bit forward so that people in the back can also get a good view (and photos). The assistant was also helpful to capture some photos where its difficult to get from the side windows. Pretty good guys. The safari lasts for about an hour. 

Once the Safari gets over, they point you in an obscure direction shouting "Zoo! Zoo!" .. we headed that way and ended up back in the parking lot. We finally figured out that we need to go back to the same entry gate and re-show our tickets. Then they let you in and now you turn right (instead of taking the left at the entry gate for the Safari) to go to the zoo. The zoo is well maintained and they do have some shops inside as well to catch a bite if hungry. We took most of the stuff we wanted with us. 

The zoo is quite big and you can walk it with a couple of breaks. We have a 2 1/2 year toddler who was all excited but ran out of steam after an hour or so. When he gathered steam again (from his snack), we were kinda tired. The zoo exhibits are pretty good and its easy to see the animals. Do watch out for the monkeys. They hang around the zoo freely without anyone to keep watch over them. The first section are all reptiles and we couldn't see any of the snakes etc. So, we skipped to the back of the zoo where the elephants, zebras, leopards are kept. There are some exotic birds as well (macaws, parrots etc.) 

If you walk all the way to the back, there's another gate which ends up at a lake. And there's boating going on there. For 50 Rs, they let you take a paddle boat around for half an hour. I think its a complete rip-off. Please do not do this unless you are a romantic nut who thinks being in the middle of the lake paddling away like a dog while trying to whisper (or wheeze) sweet nothings to your SO is your thing. I saw a few doing this and had a good laugh. 

We finished the zoo by 1:30 PM and were home by 2:30 PM. So it was the perfect Sunday outing where we could come home and rest for a while as well. 

Here are some pics. Taken using a Sony HX20V (Program Auto - Pop color setting used for most photos) 

The deer - the first thing you get to see in the Safari. There are a lot of them just roaming around. 

This bear didn't want to show us his face. I think he was more inclined to get his breakfast. 

A lioness. Pretty good looking one too. Was sharpening its claws on the tree. 

The male lion. Completely disinterested in the surroundings. Just walked towards us and then turned around and sauntered away into another clearing. 

Another lioness peeking out of the grass. 

A beautiful tiger. He/she was very close to our van. Came within a few feet, jumped into a small ravine and walked away. 

White tiger!! Amazing that they are still able to keep these alive even after their numbers are dwindling. 

The white tiger did put up a good show, walking around, jumping a bit and then walking away. The swagger on the tigers are unmistakable "you're here in my place. I am letting you live. thank you and goodbye" 

This tiger was just lounging around. My kid "papa.. does tiger have fever?" "err.. no..its just lying around" "oh.. get up, TIGER!" haha.. 

"Art photography"! lulz.. (I have no clue about photography other than point and shoot.. just sharing this! [img]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/travelogues/1098272d1371447536t-walk-park-bannerghatta-national-park-dsc00833.jpg" class="lozad max-img-size" alt="" title="">

Elephants - as usual, once the crowd gathered, the mahout decided to make some quick bucks. Someone would give him 10rs and he'd make the elephant bless the child. Our kid absolutely refused to be within 10 meters of the pachyderm. On the way back though he sings "Elly, the elephant.. " arrghhh!!  

[img]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/travelogues/1098315d1371449596t-walk-park-bannerghatta-national-park-dsc00880.jpg" class="lozad max-img-size" alt="" title="">

Zebra - he got super excited about this. He's got a few DVDs that show rhymes with zebras dancing etc. and boy, was he hooked. Took us some time to get him out of there. 

And.. the end.

There is a Safari where Lions and Tigers are in the open. Its actually a very big fenced forest area (not really wild open). There is a adjoining Zoo near the entrance also where other animals are kept.

There is a rescue center inside safari, where they usually take care of breeding, medication and has enclosures for newly bought animals, especially big cats.

There is a small lake where they take elephants for bath and watertainment,
jungle lodge is available for those who wish for a night stay and they provide food and campfire, If you go in large group, like 10 to 15 members, you can ask for V.I.P bus where a whole safari bus will be give to the group and they "might" make a stop at rescue center if you request the driver.

Here are a few pics which are rare for common visitors to Bannerghatta National Park.

[img]https://s11.postimg.cc/cpzwxjr1v/image.jpg" class="lozad max-img-size" alt="" title="">

Bannerghatta has a total area of more that 25,000 acres and it said that the forest goes so deep that it joins some green belts of Tamilnadu and few elephants migrate such distances during mating season and rarely, leopards are also found near some parts.

There are many hill views, and observatories that are not allowed for visitors of safari or park,Only officials pay visit to keep a check on green belt and any animal casualties due to hunting or diseases.

Also there's a butterfly enclosure...

5 users Like Rishi's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

McCarthy's Wildlife Sanctuary.

African lion

Tiger

Liger

7 users Like Betty's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-06-2017, 11:17 AM by Rishi )

When i went to Thiruvanantapuram Zoo in '10, it was in a quite shit condition.
Thd big Cats were kept in cramped adjoining cages to keep each other company (not really)...I spent 45mins with there, comparing each with the other (rest of the family left me & returned to the Hotel)!!!
Couldn't take pics as mobile ran out of juice, so I collected some online.

They didn't have any privacy & the other side was also on display...

Thankfully they are in a better place now (not dead!!!..) with brand new enclosures been built for them.

4 users Like Rishi's post

United States Garfield Offline
Banned

Whoa bro that's pretty cool, I mean are you like in India or something, you see any Asiatic lions there?
1 user Likes Garfield's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-07-2017, 05:20 AM by Rishi )

(05-07-2017, 04:20 AM)Garfield Wrote: Whoa bro that's pretty cool, I mean are you like in India or something, you see any Asiatic lions there?

Yes, but i'm from Kolkata (google it) & the lions live in exact opposite corner of the country.. But i do know people from there who have lion in their fields & groves.

PS: It's now mandatory for ALL indian zoos to keep only Asian lions & Bengal tigers.
Some zoos had a few Africans & Siberians..They were allowed to die out sent back..not sure, dont see them anymore.
3 users Like Rishi's post

United States Garfield Offline
Banned

(05-07-2017, 05:11 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(05-07-2017, 04:20 AM)Garfield Wrote: Whoa bro that's pretty cool, I mean are you like in India or something, you see any Asiatic lions there?

Yes, but i'm from Kolkata (google it) & the lions live in exact opposite corner of the country.. But i do know people from there who have lion in their fields & groves.

PS: It's now mandatory for ALL indian zoos to keep only Asian lions & Bengal tigers.
Some zoos had a few Africans & Siberians..They were allowed to die out sent back..not sure, dont see them anymore.

That's awesome, if you go to a zoo and see an Asiatic lion let us know and maybe post some pics. Pretty cool, lions running around in farms, seems like they're multiplying like rats, hope this keeps happening.
3 users Like Garfield's post

Taiwan Betty Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2017, 07:04 PM by Betty )

Kushiro Zoo 8-year-old male Siberian tiger "Kafka", total body length 3m, Weight 140kg. (January 22, 2014 weight is 157.8 kg)

Kafka was born on October 21, 2007 and passed away on Sunday, October 16, 2016. Renal failure is the cause of death.

http://www.tokachi.co.jp/news/201610/20161017-0024963.php

http://www.mytokachi.jp/hottkyoku4/entry/4221

6 users Like Betty's post

Taiwan Betty Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-06-2017, 06:06 PM by Betty )

2-year-old male Siberian tiger "Asama", The lion "Yuhi" is next to him.

"Asam"1-year-old 8 Monthly of the photo.

http://www.mytokachi.jp/hottkyoku4/entry/ct/10538/p-1
3 users Like Betty's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Badaling Wildlife Park.

5 users Like Betty's post

Taiwan Betty Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-12-2017, 10:33 AM by Betty )

London Zoo

Asian lion shoulder height measuring, This is the height of standing.

Sumatran tiger.

3 users Like Betty's post

United States stoja9 Offline
Banned

Angry Dislike
2 users Like stoja9's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

About #731: digusting, sickening photos... Dislike
1 user Likes Spalea's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(05-16-2017, 10:20 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(05-16-2017, 10:07 AM)Spalea Wrote: About #731:  digusting, sickening photos... Dislike

Agreed... Disgusting. Sickening...& REAL.

@stoja9 @Spalea you prefer to view only the "flowers & rainbows", i'd suggest you report it...I'll delete it as soon as the MODs instruct me to.  Like

@Rishi:

About #734: I believe you're really dumb, mentally deficient guy... Yes your photos are real, but being too very unpleasant, obscene because showing the inhumanity of the human world, I think to have the right to tell they're digusting...

Can you understand that, you FUCKING DAFT ?

If, at first, you prefer to insult us @stoja9 and I, because of our "sensivity" or "emotivity", I answer you with the only one arguments you are able to understand: the insult. Now you can cry near the MODs.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
Smile  ( This post was last modified: 05-19-2017, 06:55 PM by Rishi )

(05-16-2017, 12:23 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Rishi:

About #734: I believe you're really dumb, mentally deficient guy... Yes your photos are real, but being too very unpleasant, obscene because showing the inhumanity of the human world, I think to have the right to tell they're digusting...

Can you understand that, you FUCKING DAFT ?

If, at first, you prefer to insult us @stoja9 and I, because of our "sensivity" or "emotivity", I answer you with the only one arguments you are able to understand: the insult. Now you can cry near the MODs.

Well, this dumb, mentally deficient, FU*KING DAFT who agrees with you once again & has better reasons to be online than insult his sensitive-emotional fellow Wildfacter, misunderstood the > Dislike you were throwing, thinking you guys want the post gone & genuinely suggested you to report it as that felt like the ONLY viable procedure to delete a post against his own will..not to question someone's...errr, "mojo??"

PS: There's a saying amongst Wildlife Photographers i know here;
"Photography shouldn't consist of just the flowers & rainbows; but the good, the bad & the ugly".
Thought you'd have heard it as well... It was a quote in #734 (note the quotation marks) not a taunt.

2 users Like Rishi's post