There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Wildlife experience in the Pantanal, Brazil.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I'm back in town and able to sit down to upload some pictures.
Here's some of my better shots from my first day.

Jaguars will be the first of the uploads then I'll upload the other animals and Birds bit by bit.

First Up is Marley
Marley is a very unique male in the Pantanal.
He is very small and still able to beat up on many larger males, he's also still young, only around 4.
He is also unique in the fact that he was born in the Pantanal and never left, most males leave the Pantanal and are never seen back, only the biggest and strongest males show up in the Pantanal and claim their prize and usually they are ones not known to Paulo at the time.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Hunter
Hunter is one of the Largest females in the Pantanal, at this point she was possibly mating with the giant male I'll post below, they were definitely with one another for most of the day but I never witnessed them mating on this day. I did see them mating the following day but we weren't 100% confirmed and Paulo likes to be positive but the odds are it was them.

Huge Male mating with Hunter. Same male as I posted a few posts back with all of his flank and head on shots

This is the Gigantic male I was telling you guys about. He was in the long wet grass dragging this massive caiman along, you can barely see him in the first image but he's easier to see in the 2nd one

To Be Cont'd
13 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-18-2019, 01:37 AM by Pckts )

Jag's Cont'd
This girl was absolutely gigantic! She is also unknown to Paulo, I have to send him these shots so he can try and ID her. 
She has a younger cub and her cub was actually seen with the two sub adult males I'll post in a few, all 3 of them were walking in circles until she came in and snarled for them to leave the little one alone and then they went on their own way. There was another Jag seen in the same area which could of been a male or female, the two sub adults which are sons of the most infamous female in the Pantanal, Ruth could be cousins to her youngster and she could be Ruth's sister but Paulo will have to confirm this. 

This was the female I saw mating and we think it's hunter mating with the big boy from the day before, but to me she looked smaller than Hunter, I'll have Paulo confirm that as well.

These are the Sub Adults, both not even 2 yet and on their own, they were hunting Caiman the entire time walking and swimming.

I have tons more but these are a few of the best

Bigcat Enthusiast

Giant River Otters are probably the most entertaining animals in the Pantanal, they're always on the move hunting. The minute one gets separated from the group it'll begin screaming until it's reunited. I got so many shots of these guys hunting and swimming, they're so much fun.

Typical Caiman with a Butterfly on it's nose

Caiman up close and personal, this guy wen't over to try and steal the Otter's catch and there was a bit of skirmish then the otters swam off. One of the Otters had a nasty wound that looked like it was from a Caiman which may have been why it was so quick to swim off, it probably remembered the bad run in it had with one.

Here is a Jabiru with a person for scale, they are huge!

There are so many birds in the Pantanal, I never was much of a Birder but I had so much fun shooting them, I can see why people enjoy it so much.

I have many more photos but these are some of the better ones.
The lighting wasn't kind to my camera, a lot of my shots are washed out.

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-18-2019, 05:06 AM by epaiva )

(07-18-2019, 01:12 AM)Pckts Wrote: I'm back in town and able to sit down to upload some pictures.
Here's some of my better shots from my first day.

Jaguars will be the first of the uploads then I'll upload the other animals and Birds bit by bit.

First Up is Marley
Marley is a very unique male in the Pantanal.
He is very small and still able to beat up on many larger males, he's also still young, only around 4.
He is also unique in the fact that he was born in the Pantanal and never left, most males leave the Pantanal and are never seen back, only the biggest and strongest males show up in the Pantanal and claim their prize and usually they are ones not known to Paulo at the time.

Hunter
Hunter is one of the Largest females in the Pantanal, at this point she was possibly mating with the giant male I'll post below, they were definitely with one another for most of the day but I never witnessed them mating on this day. I did see them mating the following day but we weren't 100% confirmed and Paulo likes to be positive but the odds are it was them.

Huge Male mating with Hunter. Same male as I posted a few posts back with all of his flank and head on shots

This is the Gigantic male I was telling you guys about. He was in the long wet grass dragging this massive caiman along, you can barely see him in the first image but he's easier to see in the 2nd one

To Be Cont'd
@Pckts
You had a I credible time in El Pantanal with its Jaguars, thanks for sharing your pictures and information with us in wildfact
5 users Like epaiva's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

You did amazing tour pckts, many thanks for sharing with community.
3 users Like sanjay's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Great stuff! I imagine you highly recommend it. Is there anything to note beforehand for people planning to go? (tips, warnings, etc)
5 users Like Sully's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-23-2019, 03:25 AM by Pckts )

(07-18-2019, 07:21 AM)Sully Wrote: Great stuff! I imagine you highly recommend it. Is there anything to note beforehand for people planning to go? (tips, warnings, etc)

I do, very much so. 

When you plan trips like this just make sure you do your due diligence, get a few quotes but most importantly is how you feel. If you're more comfortable with a guide who's a little more expensive than another, go with the more expensive one if you can. You are going to spend a lot of time with them, you want it to be with someone you click with.

Most safaris I'd say never expect to see a big cat unless you're there for a while and even then it's no guarantee but in the Pantanal you can pretty much guarantee it with in a 3 day period. 

Also if you are use to classic relaxing vacations this is not that, you wake up early and traverse through rough terrain, you're harrassed by some sort of insects at some point and you have to be patient, there are times when you must sit in the heat and just wait and listen. Accommodations are usually for sleeping and not much else so dont expect the Ritz Carlton. 

Make sure you pack for heat and nature.
Hats, sunglasses, bug repellent, sunscreen, face masks for dust, hiking boots etc. 

But that being said, they're worth every penny and ounce of discomfort you suffer. The memories you make are priceless and the knowledge you gain helps you see these animals through a new lense.
9 users Like Pckts's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Sounds like you had an amazing time. @Pckts
1 user Likes Roflcopters's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

What a wonderfull trip @Pckts, marvelous!!!

Congratulations for that wonderfull experience and thanks for the great pictures that you share. Happy
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Australia GreenGrolar Offline

Nice post pckts especially the ones with the American black vultures. These american black vultures might be smaller but are more aggressive and have stronger beaks than turkey vultures.
2 users Like GreenGrolar's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-24-2019, 05:07 PM by Pckts )

(07-24-2019, 12:51 PM)GreenGrolar Wrote: Nice post pckts especially the ones with the American black vultures. These american black vultures might be smaller but are more aggressive and have stronger beaks than turkey vultures.

Black Vultures are  still a decent sized bird, larger than most of the Hawks and Kites I saw.
They also have the Yellow headed vulture which is similar to a Turkey Vulture and King Vulture but both are much more shy than Black Vultures. That seems to be the case for most Vultures I've see no matter the location, they're usually much more shy than people realize. 

My favorites were the Black Hawk and the Caracara for sure though, both have beautiful and unique looks and color to go along with big personalities.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Australia GreenGrolar Offline

New world vultures are one of the few birds of prey where males are slightly larger than their female counterparts unlike the old world vultures where females are slightly larger. Surprisingly lappet faced vultures are the most aggressive out of all vultures.
Back to topic, have you seen any green anaconda or Andean condors, Pckts?
2 users Like GreenGrolar's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-24-2019, 07:32 PM by Pckts )

(07-24-2019, 06:34 PM)GreenGrolar Wrote: New world vultures are one of the few birds of prey where males are slightly larger than their female counterparts unlike the old world vultures where females are slightly larger. Surprisingly lappet faced vultures are the most aggressive out of all vultures.
Back to topic, have you seen any green anaconda or Andean condors, Pckts?

Only in captivity for green anacondas, they're very rare in N. Pantanal while more common in the South. 
Yellows are more common in the North but even they are rare to spot but their numbers seem to be increasing.

We think we saw a condor but it was far off, I wanted to see a harpy too but they are extremely rare as well.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-27-2019, 08:04 PM by Pckts )

Paulo sent me a couple of shots I took with his camera

He just bought a 2nd hand lense, so this isn't even a higher end one. I'm definitely buying a bigger lense before me next trip, the photos are so much better.
3 users Like Pckts's post