There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Wildlife experience in the Pantanal, Brazil.

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(07-11-2019, 03:28 AM)Pckts Wrote: More awesome shots of Marley this afternoon then some amazing River Otter action again.

Tomorrow morning will be my final safari here in the Pantanal then it's off to Rio for a few days then home.
I could easily spend another week here, it's such a cool place.

@Pckts
Ask him if he knows Rafael Hoogesteijn he works with Panthera in el Pantanal, he is my Friend
2 users Like epaiva's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-11-2019, 06:02 AM)epaiva Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 03:28 AM)Pckts Wrote: More awesome shots of Marley this afternoon then some amazing River Otter action again.

Tomorrow morning will be my final safari here in the Pantanal then it's off to Rio for a few days then home.
I could easily spend another week here, it's such a cool place.

@Pckts
Ask him if he knows Rafael Hoogesteijn he works with Panthera in el Pantanal, he is my Friend

I'll ask in a few hours when we leave for Safari, I'm sure he does though.

In regards to skulls he says that maybe one lodge owner has a few but it's illegal to have them.
He said the University in Cuiaba definitely has them but we won't have time to go there since it's about 6 hours away from Porto Jofre and we have to catch a flight after the safari.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Unfortunately I missed a rare experience yesterday but apparently a great interaction happened.
They were viewing cubs *rare to see cubs here* and then the mother came and all were playing, then a big Male showed up and the mother and him fought all while another big Male watched from the other side of the bank.
Infanticide here is very rare, since the density is so high that females mate with many males so unless the male is completely new to the area, the cubs are usually left alone.
Also cubs are born during the rainy season which makes viewing them very difficult.

Anyway, I'm leaving on my last safari in an hour and half, I hope my luck continues but I'll be very ad to leave this place.
5 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

@epaiva
He knows Rafeal, said he was born in Venezuela, is that how you know him?
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-12-2019, 04:20 AM by epaiva )

@epaiva
He knows Rafeal, said he was born in Venezuela, is that how you know him?
[/quote]

@Pckts
Yes He went to El Pantanal in 2008 after that mother f Chavez expropriated the big ranch where he worked here in Venezuela and they called him and offered a job in El Pantanal, he is a very good person he always helps me with information of Jaguars
2 users Like epaiva's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-12-2019, 09:25 PM by Pckts )

@epaiva he actually gave me the name of Rafael's partner, Fernando Tortatto who does most of the field work and has all the weights, Rafeal doesnt do much field work anymore I guess. So I should be able to get most of the weights along with Adrian as well. 
Apparently Panthera still has 8 more captures approved but seems that they won't use them since they're finding the radio collaring a bit of a waste here.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-12-2019, 02:00 AM by Pckts )

We got to spend all day with 2 sub adult males hunting for Caiman. Both are a little less then 2 and sons of the most infamous female Jaguar in the pantanal, her name is Ruth.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@Pckts glad you’re having a great time!
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I believe this is the video of Marley getting his butt kicked by Balwin

Paulo will confirm with me, I just saw on their Facebook page.

This Is Marley fighting as well

In this video they had already fought a week earlier and Marley beat him bad, this video was just him trying to save face but he's still submitting to Marley, he wasn't seen much after this.

Notice how much smaller Marley is than both these males, it's what makes him so unique. He lives in the most coveted Jaguar territory on earth with the largest Jags and yet he's out there holding his own against them all and he's always lived there, never been pushed out or anything.
He's an amazing cat for sure.
4 users Like Pckts's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(07-13-2019, 10:40 AM)Pckts Wrote: I believe this is the video of Marley getting his butt kicked by Balwin

Paulo will confirm with me, I just saw on their Facebook page.

This Is Marley fighting as well

In this video they had already fought a week earlier and Marley beat him bad, this video was just him trying to save face but he's still submitting to Marley, he wasn't seen much after this.

Notice how much smaller Marley is than both these males, it's what makes him so unique. He lives in the most coveted Jaguar territory on earth with the largest Jags and yet he's out there holding his own against them all and he's always lived there, never been pushed out or anything.
He's an amazing cat for sure.
@Pckts
Súper videos thanks for sharing
1 user Likes epaiva's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-15-2019, 06:05 AM by Pckts )

I got confirmation that the one beating up Marley is infact Balan, not Balwin btw...
I misheard his name.

Paulo was also able to ID the big boy who was with Hunter *one of the biggest females*
It's this male here

*This image is copyright of its original author

He's a huge male, the only Jag I saw that could rival him was the one dragging the Caiman through the dense, wet grass.

All that's left to ID was the gigantic Female which I'll send over to Paulo when I'm home since I got great shots of her flank.
IMO, shes larger than Hunter and Marley.
4 users Like Pckts's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-15-2019, 10:29 PM by peter )

PC

Excellent information on Pantanal jaguars and those involved in their conservation. Many thanks on behalf of all.

I propose to finish the series with a few names and addresses for those interested.
2 users Like peter's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I'll be home and in front of PC on Wednesday and I hope to have an updated image gallery and my photos along with my experiences by the end of this week.

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(07-14-2019, 11:51 AM)Pckts Wrote: I got confirmation that the one beating up Marley is infact Balan, not Balwin btw...
I misheard his name.

Paulo was also able to ID the big boy who was with Hunter *one of the biggest females*
It's this male here

He's a huge male, the only Jag I saw that could rival him was the one dragging the Caiman through the dense, wet grass.

All that's left to ID was the gigantic Female which I'll send over to Paulo when I'm home since I got great shots of her flank.
IMO, shes larger than Hunter and Marley.
Big powerful Jaguar, great to see you took a few pictures of him
1 user Likes epaiva's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Those aren't my photos, those are Paulos from his data base. I do have some photos of the big fella though, I'll post them later this week.
1 user Likes Pckts's post