There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellowstone Wolf Directory

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2020, 10:17 PM by TheNormalGuy )

I did all i had to do [Update from the quiet peace of my forum to get bothered]

Unseen and untold, yet this directory keeps getting updated.

If you thought you read it. 

Read it again.

Thank You !

Don't forget that there might some mistakes. Everyone is human.
1 user Likes TheNormalGuy's post

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

Yellowstone Wolf Packs [2020]

Duration : 1 min 13 s

This video showcase the 9 Wolf Packs roaming Yellowstone National Park as of October 2020. It is a very light video in terms of informations, but the goal of this video is it simplicity !

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ce vidéo donne la liste des meutes de loups présent dans le Parc National de Yellowstone en date d'octobre 2020. Cet vidéo est très légèrement chargée car son but est de présenter de les meutes de façon très simple et attrayante.

----------------------

Enjoy ! Bon visionnement !

-----------------------

References/Sources :

Yellowstone Wolf Project Annual Reports : 

For all the packs informations except Carnelian Creek

Yellowstone Wolf Tracker :

Informations on the newly formed pack of 2020
3 users Like TheNormalGuy's post

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-21-2022, 07:38 AM by TheNormalGuy )

Wolf illegally shot in Grand Teton National Park

November 2, 2020

MOOSE, WY- National Park Service investigators are looking for information related to the illegal shooting of a collared black-colored gray wolf.  The body of the wolf was located near the Pilgrim Creek Trailhead in Grand Teton National Park on the morning of October 26, 2020.     

The illegal taking of wildlife is a violation and subject to a fine up to $5,000 and/or up to six months imprisonment. Additionally, it is a violation to aid or assist in the illegal taking of wildlife and is also subject to a fine up to $5,000 and/or six months imprisonment. Anyone with information that could help identify any of the individuals involved or was in the area of the Pilgrim Creek Trailhead the morning of October 26 and can provide any information regarding this activity, please contact call or text the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch Tip Line at 888-653-0009 or email [email protected].   Information can be provided anonymously. 

The Investigative Services Branch assists units of the National Park Service with the immediate and long-term protection of park resources, visitors, assets, employees and residents. They accomplish this through detection, investigation, apprehension, and successful prosecution of persons who violate laws of the United States of America while within, or while affecting the National Park System.

County 10 shared on November 2nd that the Wyoming Game and Fish Department is also seeking information on two recent poaching incidents. Click here to learn more.

Last week, the gray wolf protection was ended across most of the country by the Trump Administration. Click here to learn more.

[My comments, although the ID of the wolf wasn't given, thus making it unofficial]

What i fear most and the most probable information is that the wolf illegally killed was/is 1104F, a 3 year old black female. Who just gave birth to 5 pups in the newest pack of GYE this april.

Sad fact : The maximal sanction/fine is less than the cost of sponsoring a wolf collar [5 000 $ last time i checked]

Edit 2022 : it was not 1104F 

Source : Wolf Illegally Shot in Grand Teton National Park [November 2, 2020 - County 10]
2 users Like TheNormalGuy's post

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

The Lone Star Pack History [April 1996]

Duration : 1 min 01 s

"The video of 1 minute 1 s showcase the short history of The Lone Star Pack"

Sources of these informations :

Enjoy the video !

The History of the Thorofare Pack [Summer 1996 - January 1998]

Duration : 1 min 37 s

"The video of 1 minute 38 s showcase the short history of The Thorofare Pack"

Hope you enjoy the video !

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-04-2020, 08:47 AM by TheNormalGuy )

Update on the illegal shooting of the collared wolf from informations that i asked and received from a friend : "It isn't 1104F"

She & her pack is still intact. Her pack formed [officially] in April 2020. Hope it lasts a few decades !

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-12-2020, 07:24 AM by TheNormalGuy )

The Lamar Canyon Pack History [2010-]

Duration : 6 min 41 s

Pictures are the courtesy of Optics Yellowstone & Gloria K. Straube. You must ask them permission if you want to use them. 

The video of 6 minutes 41 seconds showcase all the dominant breeding pairs ["Alphas"] in the Lamar Canyon Pack History.

The Pictures featured in this video are the courtesy of Optics Yellowstone & Gloria K. Straube.

They  granted me permission to use their pictures. You need to ask them if you want to use those pictures.

Here is a link to Optics Yellowstone :

https://www.opticsyellowstone.com/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My sources of informations :

Yellowstone Wolf Project Annual Reports  :

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/wolf-reports.htm

Books :

"Charting Yellowstone Wolves (25th Anniversary)" by James Halfpenny, Leo Leckie & Shauna Baron

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2020, 08:29 AM by TheNormalGuy )

The Leopold Pack History [February 1996 - 2008]

Duration : 6 min 17 seconds

My Favorite Yellowstone Pack !

The video of 6 minutes 17 seconds showcase all the dominant breeding pairs ["Alphas"] in the Leopold Pack History.

In The Legacy Portion of The Video, only packs formed by direct descendants of the pack will be showcased except one exception.

There were other pack members that joined others packs.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My sources of informations :

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/wolf-reports.htm

Yellowstone Photo Collection :

https://www.nps.gov/features/yell/slidefile/index.htm

Sarcoptic mange severity is associated with reduced genomic variation and evidence of selection in Yellowstone National Park wolves (Canis lupus) :
Alexandra L. DeCandia, Edward C. Schrom, Ellen E. Brandell, Daniel R. Stahler & Bridgett M. vonHoldt

First published: 10 September 2020

Books :

"Charting Yellowstone Wolves (25th Anniversary)" by James Halfpenny, Leo Leckie & Shauna Baron
---------------------------------------------------
Cette vidéo présente les pairs de loups dominant dans l'histoire de la meute de Leopold [Nommée après Aldo Leopold]
---------------------------------------------------
Enjoy the video ! Bon Visionnement !
-------------------------------------

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-17-2020, 02:29 AM by TheNormalGuy )

I had updated a lot of the summaries on my own forum. 

When i copy and transfer the new informations and corrections to this thread, it comes all weirdly [Structure, Colors not appearing, textcode appearing on the post, size of the text varying, etc].

With all the huge/massive amount of informations of this thread and how people love to have the best informations & the most accurate one, i'lle stop editing posts on this thread. It is simply too hard and complex. The information will be in the thread on my forum ("The Domain of The Wolf") : Yellowstone Wolf Directory.

I'm really sorry about this. I can't just take 30 minutes of my time to correct all the bad spacing that occurs after i edit a post. Some wolves have about 50-70 descendants that produces pups with those pups producings others pups. 

Wolf 9F has 26 offsprings ID's, 18 Wolves ID's that are living descendance that have yet to produce pups or know pups & 118 Wolves that are the descendants of 9F progeny that produced known pups 

Some are the 9th or 10th generations wolves. I just can't. It is really unfortunate.

[which seems okay and perfectly fine when i edit it in full-text but not when i view it & then i got to edit with quick edit to eliminate all bad spacings which weren't supposed to happen and etc].

@sanjay @peter 

I just can't do it.

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

Out of my reach, I'm afraid. That leaves @sanjay.
2 users Like peter's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

2 options you can try:

1. Try the view source button (The last button of Quick Reply editor). Just copy and then before pasting, click this button and than paste.

2. You can use Notepad of your PC. Just copy the text in Notepad first and then Paste here.
2 users Like sanjay's post

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-18-2020, 08:25 AM by TheNormalGuy )

15 wolves were collared this week (10 males, 5 Females). Age of the collared wolves : 0-1-2 (1276F is the only 2 year old collared this year)

ID are from 1264M to 1279M excluding #1277 [not used]

Also, 1230M [A Yearling from 8-Mile] is now the alpha male of Carnelian Creek.

Wolves #1201F (Wapiti Lake), #1231M (8-Mile) & #1236M (Wapiti Lake) died. 1200M (Previous Carnelian Creek Alpha Male) is presumed dead.

1200M is the father of collared pup #1279M. 1005F is his mother.

Informations from T.Bland & Yellowstone Wolves : Tracking The Packs.

For more details, visit the latter site [above] or my forum.

Note that i will not update summaries of wolves made in this thread. But i will continue to post texts updates from time to time.

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-24-2020, 09:30 PM by TheNormalGuy )

The Crystal Creek/Mollie's Pack Timeline (1995-Current)

Note : In Green [Dates], in Blue [Alive Wolves]

- January 12, 1995 : The First Wolf [5F] is carried into the Crystal Creek Pen. It marks the original date of re-introduced wolves in Yellowstone.

Mike Phillips, Jim Evanoff, Molly Beattie, Director of USFWS, Mike Finley, YNP Supt. and Bruce Babbitt, Secretary of the Interior carried 5F to the pen. They each had an important role in the returns of wolves in Yellowstone.

There is 6 wolves in the original Crystal Creek/Mollie's Pack :
  • 2M (Born 1994, Black, Pup) (Son of 5F & 4M)
  • 3M (Born 1994, Black, Pup) (Son of 5F & 4M)
  • 4M (Black Adult with a white blaze on the chest, Alpha Male) (Father of 2M, 3M, 6M & 8M)
  • 5F (Birth estimated 1990-1991, Light Gray with a black mark under one eye, 4-5 years old, Alpha Female) (Mother of 2M, 3M & 8M)
  • 6M (Born 1994, Black, Pup) (Son of 4M & Likely 5F's Sister in Canada)
  • 8M (Born 1994, Gray, Pup) (Son of 4M & 5F)
- March 21 1995 :

Member of The Wolf Project Team cuts a hole in the Crystal Creek Pen. Wolves leaves and 14 [Now] wild wolves of 3 packs (Crystal Creek, Rose Creek & Soda Butte) are the first official wolves recorded in Yellowstone National Park in about 70 years.

- June 1995 :

The Crystal Creek Pack is the largest pack of Yellowstone & Wolf Watcher First Attraction. They are highly visible on the Northeastern Entrance and interacts with a lot of animals.

Here is a quote from a staff member off the Greater Yellowstone Coalition on the topic of wolves in Yellowstone at the time :

"It was so pleasant last Saturday walking along in the Lamar Valley, knowing that at last here was a place with all the original predators and prey of prehistoric Yellowstone -- grizzly bears and black bears, cougar, wolves, coyotes, fox, badgers, bobcats, bison, elk, moose, deer, and antelope. Many of us have waited so long for this day."

- August 1995 :

The Crystal Creek Pack leaves Lamar Valley and settles in Pelican Valley [what would be and is their main territory since 25 years].

- September 1995 :

Yearling Wolf #8M (Gray) comes across the penned Rose Creek Wolves (9F & her 8 pups sired by 10M). 8M will stick around the pen & paired with 9F when they would be released on October 10, 1995.

- December 1995 :

Yearling 3M disperse from the pack. He would kill livestock on January 12 1996

- January 1996 :

21 Months Old #2M disperse permanently from the pack. It will find a gray yearling female from the Rose Creek Pack : Wolf 7F (The Daughter of 9F) and form the Leopold Pack, The first naturally formed pack in Yellowstone in 70 years.

- January 23rd 1996 : 17 Wolves for the second reintroduction arrives in Yellowstone By Truck.
  • 2 wolves (Lone Star)
  • 5 wolves (Druid Peak)
  • 6 wolves (Nez Perce)
  • 5 wolves (Chief Joseph)

- February 1996 : 

Wolf 3M is removed in an control action after killing livestock for the second time.

- April 1996 : #5F denned.

- May 20 1996

The Alpha Male #4M is killed by members of the Druid Peak Pack. 5F was likely injured in the encounter too. The pack is now comprised of Gray 5F (now estimated to be 5-6 years) & 2 year old black wolf #6M (Born to 4M & Likely 5F's Sister in Canada back in 1994)

- Late May 1996 to End of 1996 : 

The 2 wolves (5F & 6M) stays together in Lamar Valley

- January 1997 :

The Pair moved to Pelican Valley.

- February 1997 :

The Pair is Located on Mirroir Plateau

- April 1997

5F & 6M bred back in February. They had at 6 pups.

- September 1997 :

The pack of 8 is located in Pelican Valley

• Gray 6-7 years old 5F
  • Black 3 years old 6M
  • Black Pup #118M 
  • Black Pup #119
  • Gray Pup #120M
  • Gray Pup #121
  • Gray Pup #122
  • Black Pup #136F

- November 1997 :

The pack of 7 moved east of Yellowstone Lake in an exploratory pattern to come back to Pelican Valley shortly afterwards. They frequented the east shore in periodically

- January 1998 : 

The Pack left the park, and went in the Absaroka Range, east of the North-East Entrance.

- February 1998 :

The Pack returned to Pelican Valley.

- March 1998 : 

All pups (118M, 119 ?, 120M, 121 ?, 122 ?, 136F) are alive as well as 5F & 6M

They captured 5 wolves for collaring [5F & 6M re-collared + 3 of the 5 pups]. 

• 5F (7-8 years)
  • 6M (4 years) (141 lbs, meat in stomach)
  • 118M (Black, 1 year)
  • 119 ? (Black, 1 year)
  • 120M (Gray, 1 year)
  • 121 ? (Gray, 1 year)
  • 122M (Gray, 1 year)
  • 136F (Black, 1 year)

One of the male pups (118M, 120M or 122M, although #121 ? and 119 ? could also be males) weighed 115 lbs (had eaten two days before). 

A female pup weighed 99 lbs (#119 ? or #121 ? or 136F)

- April 1998 :

The 1997 Litter all reached 1 year of age. The Pack made their recorded third bison kill. They [5F & 6M] had 8 pups.

There are now 16 members in this pack :

• 5F (Gray, 7-8 years)
  • 6M (Black, 4 years)
  • 118M (Black, 1 year)
  • 119 ? (Black, 1 year)
  • 120M (Gray, 1 year)
  • 121 ? (Gray, 1 year)
  • 122M (Gray, 1 year)
  • 136F (Black, 1 year)
  • #170 (Black, Pup)
  • #171 (Black, Pup)
  • #172 (Black, Pup)
  • #173 (Black, Pup)
  • 174F (Gray, Pup)
  • 175F (Gray, Pup)
  • #176 (Gray, Pup)
  • #177 (Gray, Pup)

- August/September 1998 :

Wolf #6M is killed by an elk. 

- September 1998 :

The large black yearling sporting a white patch on its throat, wolf #104M of the Druid Peak Pack (Son of 38M & 42F), dispersed and joins the pack, making the pack an 16 members wolf pack once again. 104M assumed quickly the alpha male position (Making it the third one after 4M & 6M)

- January 1999 :

Three members of the pack get captured for collaring. 
  • 122M (Gray Yearling, 22 months) (125 lbs)
  • 174F (Gray Pup, 10 months) (105 lbs)
  • 175F (Gray Pup, 10 months) (110 lbs)

Also the Black Yearling Wolf #118M had dispersed and was in Chief Joseph II (would be called later Sheep Mountain) territory.

So, the pack has 15 members ?

- February 1999 :

The Pack encounter Wolf #43M of the Soda Butte Pack and killed it.

- April 1999 : 5F gave birth to an unknown number of pups which likely did not survive ?

- June 1999 : 

Now 2 year old Black Wolf 104M left the pack. They are now 14 members ?

- October 1999 :

2 year old #120M disperse and joins former packmate 104M in soda butte.

Pack Size : 14 ?

- November 1999 :

The Pack killed dispersing male of Soda Butte : Wolf #123M

- December 4th 1999 :

The 14 members (?) strong pack encountered the 7 ? members Druid Peak Pack. They chased each other and no official deaths were observed on either side.

- March 2000 : 

The pack formely 14 in October 1999, were only 5 in March 2000.
  • 5F [Light Gray Adult, 9-10 years old] [?]
  • 174F [Gray Adult 2 year old)
  • 175F [Gray Adult, 2 year old)
  • 193M [Black, 3 years old) [Disperser from Rose Creek] [Brother of 194M]
  • 194M [Black, 3 years old) [Disperser from Rose Creek] [Brother of 193M]

The only pup of 1999 [5F/104M] is presumed dead.

- August 2000 : 

Old Wolf #5F is located apart from the rest of the pack. She was likely displaced by one of her two daughters (174F & 175F)

- November 2000 :

Wolf 5F was located feeding with Druid Peak Pack Members on one occasion. It marks the last sighting of her ?

- February 2001 :

Possible signal from 5F collar ? But not official

- April 2001 : 174F give birth to 6 pups sired by 193M. There is 10 members in the pack
  • 174F [Born in 1998, Gray]
  • 175F [Born in 1998, Gray] [Sister of 174F]
  • 193M [Born in 1997 in Rose Creek] [Dominant Breeding Male with 174F]
  • 194M [Born in 1997 in Rose Creek] [Brother of 193M]
  • 261M [Born 2001, Gray]
  • 262M [Born 2001, Black] [Brother of 261M]
  • 4 other pups

- December 2001 :

The pack is 10 members strong.

- April 2002 :

174F or 175F (Suggested to be 174F) gave birth to 2 pups sired by 193M.

Those pups would be collared at the age of 5 years old in 2007 : #586M & #587M

- December 2002 :

The Pack of 12 made an incursion without incident in the 8 Members Druid Peak Pack Territory without any incident on both sides.

261M & 262M are now yearlings since April 2002

- January 2003 :

Nearly 2 year old 261M dispersed with an uncollared gray brother to join 217F from the Druid peak pack. The 217F/261M Group would later be called the Slough Creek Pack.

- April 2003 :

The Pack of 8 (261M left, 262M is missing, one uncollared male left with 261M, 175F died, one other unknown)

The Pack had killed in an 12 hours showdown a bull bison in March 2003. That bison killed 175F.

An radio-collar black wolf of unknown origin joined.

174F gave birth to 4 pups sired by 193M (One black pup would be collared as #343M)

- January 2004 :

Longtime nearly 7 years old #194M disperses from the pack and is seen with U-Black and a uncollared grey male near Specimen Ridge. This group will get to be known as "The Specimen Ridge Pack"

- February 2004 :

The Pack kills the famous Wolf #42F from the Druid Peak Pack and get hatred by a lot of emotional people.

NOTE (Not chronologic) : 379M was originally a mollie

- April 2004 :

174F gives birth to 5 pups sired by 193M

- August 2004 : 

The Pack is comprised of 4 adults and 5 pups

- September 2004 :

One of the 5 pups is missing & 378M & 379M rejoined the pack.

3 of the 4 remaining pups will be collared as : #495M, #496F & #497M in Winter of 2004/2005

- October 2004 :

#378M & #379M attacked the den site of The Druid Pack, Injuring #302M. #379M had a friendly meeting with females #286F & #375F the day after, which #480M (then uncollared) didn't like. He attacked #379M and got it running back to Mollie's with an limp.

- December 2004 :

#379M is now part of the Specimen Ridge Pack.

- February 2005 :

Mollie's wolves are seen after about 50 days. 6 are seen including #378M. 193M is "missing" as well as 174F

3 Black Pups (and huge) #495M (119 lbs), 496F (104 lbs), 497M (99 lbs) gets collared, 586M (Not yet collared), 587M (not yet collared)

Former Mollie's Wolf #379M, now in Slough Creek weighed 123 lbs.

Note : i won't refer to them until they are collared in 2007 [586M & 587M]

- March 2005 :

The Pack count is up to 8 wolves, with resurgence of #193M (presumed dead) and the return or arrival of another wolf.

- April 2005 :

Wolf #378M is missing

- June 2005 :

The Pack has encounters with multiples packs including Nez Perce & Hayden Valley.

The Pack killed the 9 year old #70M from the Nez Perce Pack. Yearling Female #486F of that pack would joins Mollie's shortly afterwards. 

The encounter with the Hayden Pack resulted in the death of the black yearling wolf #496F.

She is the new alpha female.

- September 2005 :

They numbers 8 wolves.
  • 193M
  • 378M
  • 379M
  • 486F
  • 495M
  • 497M
  • 586M (Then not-collared)
  • 587M (Then not collared)

- November 2005 :

The 8 members encounters the 9 members Gibbon Pack and no deaths are recorded.

#379M is killed by a prey and found dead in the Firehole River. Elk or Bison is suggested.

- Winter 2005/2006

The collar of alpha female #486F is replaced. She was also weighed (90 lbs)

- April 2006

#486F gives birth to 6 pups (sired by 193M). One of these pup would later be collared as #712M.... and you know his story (or do you ?)

Bringing the total number of the pack to 13 ?

- October 2006

Count : 11 
  • 193M (now 9 years old)
  • 486F
  • 495M
  • 497M
  • 586M [then not collared]
  • 587M [then not collared]
  • 712M [Then not collared] [Pup]
  • 5 other pups

- January 2007 :

Nearly 5 years old gray males [brothers] Wolves #586M & #587M get collared

- February 2007 :

Old Wolf #193M is nearing 10 years of age and is confirmed to be infected with mange. He died before birthing season (April)

- Summer 2007

Wolf #497M is struck by a vehicle and dies. 586M or 587M are thought to be new alpha male. 8-9 adults are part of the pack.
  • 486F
  • 495M
  • 586M
  • 587M
  • Yearling #712M (Then not collared)
  • 4 others adults
  • 6 pups (including #640F, #641M) (Then not collared)

So they are 15 strong

- October 31 2007

The Pack makes an intrusion in the Hayden Valley Pack Territory and a brawl takes place. Both the dominant breeding wolves ["alphas"] of Hayden Valley, both very popular amongst tourists and wolfwatchers, wolves #540F & #541M are killed on this sad day.

540F was a lovely white wolf originating from the Nez Perce Pack while the light gray alpha male, wolf #541M, came from the Swan Lake Pack.

It must be noted that the daughter of 540F & 541M, the future "White Lady" [Canyon Alpha Female] was likely bred by a black Mollie's (?) interloper. This mating led to the birth of the only black pup of Hayden Valley in 2007, which would be collared as Wolf #638M later in its life.

The Pack chased the remaining Haydens out of the park in the next fews days [638M, 639M, "The Future White Lady", and some others].

Yearling #712M  & #587M would later joins with the Hayden female in 2008 to form the famous Canyon Pack.

Again, the Mollie's were not very popular amongst people. But, it is part of life.

- February 2008 :

10 months old siblings #640F [95 lbs] & #641M [101 lbs] were collared. They are the offsprings of #486F & late #193M

April 2008 :

The 3 pups born to the pack are those of wolf #486F & Wolf #495M [Born in 2004 to Wolf #174F & #193M]

Wolf #686F is one of the pups (she would be collared in 2009)

- July 2008 :

Wolves #587M & uncollared [but soon to be] #712M joined the Hayden Female before breeding season. And they had two pups sired by #712M.

Also "Limper" [the third male of the original Canyon Pack and the beta male] is possibly a born-Mollie's

- April 2009 :

Wolves #486F gave birth to her second litter of pups [5] with wolf #495M.

Two wolves from this litter would be collared in their life and parts of interesting events : Black Wolf #758M & Wolf #759F.

When re-collared, Wolf #495M weighed in at 143 lbs.

- December 2009 :

Wolf #586M (now approaching 7 years old) makes pre-dispersal moves.

- February 14th 2010 :

Nearly 3 year old #641M & Near 7 years old #586M traveled to the Agate Creek Pack Territory and #641M fought with the alpha male of the pack ("Big Blaze" later collared in 2012 as 838M). "Big Blaze" lost and returned to the Blacktail Pack while the beautiful agate wolf #472F accepted #641M as her new mate & the presence of #586M.

- April 2010 : 

Wolf #486F had her third litter of pups, of which 7 survived to year end, with Wolf #495M.

One of these pups would become a very important wolf : #779F

-  April 2011

Wolf #486F & #495M had their fourth litter together. 7 pups are from that litter, including wolves that would later be collared : #823F & #824M

- Fall 2011 :

The Pack are 22 strong : 7 pups, 15 adults/yearlings ?

Wolf #495M is killed by a bison (likely). Shortly after, wolf #486F (almost white) vanished as well. 

Their daughter, wolf #686F took the reins of the pack.

- December 2011 : 

The Pack had an encounter with the Mary Mountain Pack and killed their alpha male : #636M which originated from Cougar Creek. Nearly 3 year old 758M joined them and assume the alpha position.

- January 2012 :

Wolf #686F brings her pack of 19 wolves on the Northern Range [which they had not visit in over 2 years]. It was likely due to the absence of a mate.

5 adults (#686F, #779F, #822F & 2 other wolves), 7 pups, 7 yearlings

- February 2012 :

"Big Brown" (778M), 693F, "Medium Gray" & another yearling of The Blacktail Deer Plateau Pack surprised and chased three of the black pups of the pack one morning.

778M, 693F & "Medium Gray" returned a few days later. This time, 9 mollie's attack the trio and killed the beta male "Medium Gray".

A gray adult female of the pack [Mollie's] that would be nicknamed "Ragged-Tail" was seen mating with Blacktail #777M & a mangy male.

She would later be part of the formation of the Junction Butte Pack

- March 2012 : 

The Pack wreck havoc in the northern range, likely killing a former member and Agate Creek Alpha Male (#641M) & his son (#775M). 

- June 2012 :

The Pack comprised the light gray 4 year old #686F. Adult gray 759F (no collar), 3-year-old black 822F, 2-year-old black 779F, a 2-year-old black male, two other adult gray females, yearling gray 823F, yearling gray 824M, and five other yearlings.

"Ragged-Tail" is away with 2 year old #777M of Blacktail & #Blacktail/Agate wolf nicknamed "Puff" (Later known as 911M). The group also include #759F of mollies  & two gray mollie's.

- August 3rd 2012 :

3 year old Wolf #822F gets caught and killed by the 8 members Lamar Canyon Pack while being in #777M Group.

6 Mollie's were also in the vicinity of the scene

Also, a bunch of mollie's courted & flirted with #777M in august including #779F, #823F and others uncollared. Wolf #824M didn't like those interactions but didn't aggressively showed this.

However, one day, the other mollie's group, with 686F & returnee 3 year old #758M (who went lead the Mary Mountain Pack for a year) alongside at least 4 others dislike that and killed #777M on August 11th 2012

- October 2012 : 

Wolf #824M gets shot and dies. He was a victim of the 2012 Wolf Hunting Season.

- April 2013 : 

#759F found 755M [Likely the other way around] and breds with him in February. They later came back to the Lamar Canyon Pack but the daughters of #755M attacks his new mate and she died of her wounds. She was about to give birth when she got killed in April.

870F, 889F, then not collared #970F of Mollie's had joined the Junction Butte Pack in 2012.

Another disperser of Mollie's/Junction is gray "Good-Tail" which paired with #755M after the tragic result of his previous pairing.

The Pack [Mollie's] are just 3 wolves : 5 year old light gray #686F, 3 year old black #779F & a gray male of unknown origin that would later be known as #980M

The pack 686F and/or 779F gave birth to at least 4 pups sired by 980M including #978F/1239F & 1014M [Currently 7 years old]

- April 2014 : 

Wolf #779F gave birth to 6 pups sired by #980M, including wolves that would later be collared and part of important activities #1015M & the current alpha female of Mollie's  [2020] : Black #1090F. Wolf #1155M is also one of the pups. [He paired with 8-Mile Wolf #1154F in Fall 2020].

- April 2015 : 

#779F gave birth to at least 6 pups including #1013M. The father is 980M.

- August 2015 :

Wolf #980M dies [Killed by prey]

- November 2015 : 

The 17 strong pack nearly killed "Mottled" of the Lamar Canyon Pack. He was attacked by #779F & 6 other wolves.

- January 26 2016 : 

Near 3 year old 1014M, Near 2 year old 1015M and #1013M (pup) gets collared.

- April 2016 : 

#779F gives birth to 4 pups to unknown sire.

- Summer 2016 : 

Big 2 year old #1015M leads a small offshoot that would displaced the famous #755M from the Wapiti Pack. #1014M is with him as is #1155M, the littermate of 1015M.

Junction Butte Beta Male #890M aka "Patch" joins and assume the vacant alpha male role after being accepted by #779F in July 2016.

- January 2017

1090F is collared and all 3 : 779F, 890M & 978F are recollared.

- December 2017

From 18 to 13 to 14 members (Arrival an unrelated wolf of unknown origin)

- January 2018 :

#1118F is collared.

- March 2018 : 

The Pregnant #779F is killed by a prey. She was 8 year old.

- April 2018 : 

Both 978F & 1118F bore litters. 3 pups are born from 978F's. 1118F denned apart. She lost her litter (and most of her group called "Cub Creek") either died in wolf hunting season. 

She was injured by a bullet and had a huge limp. She returned to the park however and lingered alone surviving for nearly a year before dying in September 2019.

The pack [Mollie's main group] was 7 strong at the end of the year.

- April 2019 :

#890M & 978F/1239F gave birth to 5 pups, 4 of which survived to year end.

- October 2019 :

A yearling is killed in the wolf hunting season

- December 2019 :

1237M (yearling/adult), 1238M (pup) & 1239F (which was 978F that slipped her collar) were collared [re-collared in 978F case, now as 1239F]

- 2020 :

The Pack celebrated their 25th year of existence [Well we celebrated the milestone, them do not know the exploit]

8 Members are currently part of the pack as of December 2020 : #890M, #978F/1239F, #1090F, #1237M, #1238M & 3 yearlings.

Sources : Yellowstone Wolf Project Annual Reports, Ralph Maughan Blog, Kathie Lynch Reports 

@sanjay @peter @Maritimus77  you guys on your opinion [But any member can say their opinion & I'd like to get as much opinions as possible] on this kind of post. Is it interesting, should i do more of those. In my forum, I continue to correct the individuals stories & i did the basic informations for every new collared wolves

Making this timeline took me about 15 hours of work, collecting informations in a focuss mindset.

Hoping everyone like this timeline.

And please, no negative comments about the Mollie's. They shouldn't be hated because they killed popular wolves.

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-24-2020, 03:37 PM by peter )

NORMAL

Be sure your contributions are much appreciated. The reasons are accuracy, reliability and, in particular, (the accumulation of) knowledge. As a result of your posts, readers interested in wolves are offered the opportunity to get to some insight. They'll no doubt find their way.  

As to the length of some posts. We know it isn't easy to present good information in a few paragraphs and add a few tables and pictures to digest the message. At times, words are the only means to transfer information in the proper way. What we're saying is we know long posts can't be avoided. Remember, however, this forum isn't about selling a new brand of toothpaste. Our business is information. Good information about something overlooked by many. 

In the end, this is what counts. The information we present is needed to get to a bit more insight in the natural world. We need it to prevent problems that can, and have to, be expected when unknown territory in invaded. As that's what we've been doing for a long time. The virus affecting the lives of so many today is just one example of the possible consequences. 

And it starts with Yellowstone wolves? 

Who knows? What we're saying is the days of the old system are numbered. We can't go on in this way and most people know. The question is what next. The answer is we first need to answer a number of questions regarding the past. The next step is to get to a new goal. The outcome of the debate that will follow isn't that important. It's about changing the outlook and the way we act. And in this department, you, in an indirect way, most definitely contributed. 

As to presenting your ideas on, for example, a forum like this one. 

When a member decides for specialisation and joins a forum to interact, chances are long posts will be produced. This way of interacting has consequences. Experience says most readers potentially interested in what you have to say will decide against it. The reason is they don't have the time and energy needed to finish the project. This means this method will not result in a lot of views. How solve this problem? Here's a few ideas.  

01 - Use a title that covers the post.
02 - Start the post with an introduction. Inform the reader about your goal in a few sentences only. 
03 - Use chapters and sections and keep every section as short as possible. Use a paragraph for every topic.  
04 - Use size and colour to distinguish between chapters and sections. 
05 - Add tables and pics that fit the topic discussed in every chapter and section. 
06 - Present all sources used. Add links. 
07 - When you quote, make sure readers know you're quoting someone. 
08 - Remember most readers can focus for 10-15 minutes at best. 
09 - Finish every post with a conclusion. Avoid opinions. Readers are interested in facts. 
10 - If the post only covers a part of the topic you want to discuss, start a series. Inform your readers.
11 - If the formula you used works, stick to it. In this way readers will get to know you.  
12 - When done, read the post. Ask someone else to read it. Ask for advice. 
13 - Post the result of your effort. Read it again and edit the post until you're happy. 
14 - Go over the thread you created every now and then. Edit your contributions when you're not happy.

All of this, to be sure, isn't a result of problems in the department of readability. The posts I read, apart from being loaded with good information, were easy to access. Most of them only took me a few minutes. But I'm an experienced reader.  

Remember every member is free to interact in the way he/she prefers. It's up to you, that is. If you're interested in writing, however, this forum offers you a great opportunity to develop your skills.    

Thanks again for the interesting information about wolves. We hope you'll continue for a long time to come,

Sanjay and Peter.
2 users Like peter's post

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-12-2021, 10:12 PM by TheNormalGuy )

Exactly 26 years ago on January 12, 1995, the first wolf (5F) from Alberta was carried in the pen. It was the start of an legendary pack that still rules the park today : "The Crystal Creek Pack".

I should note that it is somewhat a lengthy text.
It would be renamed "The Mollie's" after Mollie Beatie, a great actress in wolf reintroduction in 2000.
I will likely post a video about the history of theirs "alphas" later today or tomorrow. But, in this post, i will talk about how important those wolves are.
The Original pack had 6 members (all of them are pictured in those pictures, which are public domain).

·       2Mb
·       3Mb
·       4Mb
·       5Fg
·       6Mb
·       8Mg
b - Black & g - Gray

·       Wolf 2Mb - Born in 1994 to 4M/5F

He would found the Leopold Pack in Feb 1996 with Rose Creek Wolf 7F and would sired 39 pups in 7 litters (1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 & 2002). 29 of them survived to the end of the year they were born.

At least 11 of them became alphas and/or produce pups in their lifetime.

·       150M [Fourth Alpha Male of Rose Creek With Rose Creek 190F]
·       151F [Which Founded the Cougar Creek Pack]
·       152F [Which Founded the Swan Lake Pack]
·       207M [Third Alpha Male of Rose Creek, had a litter of 7 pups with 18F in 2001]
·       209F [Third & Longtime Alpha Female of The Leopold Pack]
·       220F [Mother of famous wolves 469F & 536F]
·       259F [Second Alpha Female of The Leopold Pack]
·       287M [Founding Alpha Male of The Hellroaring Creek Pack]
·       290F [Founding Alpha Female of The Wedge Pack]
·       302M ["The Casanova"] [Longtime Beta Male of the Druid Peak Pack and Founding Alpha Male of The Blacktail Deer Plateau Pack]
·       480M [Fourth & Longtime Alpha Male of The Druid Peak Pack]

I wouldn't go on with those wolves descendance as at least 16 of them went to be alphas and/or have pups of their own.

Wolf 2M is the Great Great Grand-Father of the Wapiti White Alpha Female and his genes are in a lot of current yellowstone wolves (I'lle write what i know about the Wapiti White Alpha Female genealogy in a comment)

2M was killed by the Geode Creek Pack on December 31, 2002.

·       Wolf 3M - Born in 1994 to 4M & 5F
He dispersed from the pack near December 1995 & died in February 1996.

·       Wolf 4Mb - Born Before 1992
He is the original "alpha male" of the pack [The dominant breeding male]. He had 4 sons reintroduced in Yellowstone : 3 with Mate 5F & another with her likely sister [5F's].
They are [2M, 3M, 8M] & [6Mb]

His 4 sons [well 2M, 6M, 8M cause 3M didn't breed] had a combined of at least 26 pups who would become alphas and/or give birth to pups.

4M was killed in May 1996 in a conflict with the Druid Peak Pack.

·       5Fg - Born in 1990 or 1991

5F was a special wolf with an distinctive black mark under one eye. She had 3 sons in 1994 with 4M. They were brought in Yellowstone [2M, 3M, 8M]. After 4M died, Wolf 6M became the new alpha male and her new mate. She went missing by the end of 2000 and her last possible signal was a faint one in 2001. She was around 10 years old.
At least 4 maybe 5 of her pups went to become alphas and/or produce pups on their own.

·       2M
·       8M
·       118M ?
·       120M [Third Alpha Male of The Soda Butte Pack]
·       174F [Second & Longtime Alpha Female of The Crystal Creek/Mollie's Pack]

She is the great great grand-mother & great great great grand-mother of the Wapiti White Alpha Female.* (To understand this, read the first comment)
·       Wolf 6Mb - Born in 1994 to 4M & Likely the sister of 5F

He became the second alpha male of the pack after the death of his father, 4M, in May 1996. 6M died in August 1998 from injuries suffered by hunting an elk.
·       Wolf 8Mg - Born in 1994 to 4M & 5F

This wolf is the wolf featured in Rick McIntyre Book :
"The Rise of Wolf 8" which recounted the story about how an runt wolf became one of the best alpha males of a pack.

Context : The Rose Creek Pack had a litter of 8 in April 1995 (16F, 17F, 18F, 19F, 20M, 21M, 22M, 23M) born to 9F & 10M.
However, 10M was illegally shot by a man in early april 1995 near Red Lodge. With that and how important the litter of 9F's was (at that time, her & the litter accounted for 44 % of the yellowstone wolf population), it was decided to capture them and bring them back in a pen to let the pups grows and in the same time, solidify the wolf population in the park.

That's when 8M comes into the story. He discovered the penned wolves in September 1995 (the 9 wolves were released in October) and he stayed around until they were released. On that day, Wolf 9F had a new alpha male to take care of her pups and adult male in him to help her hunt too.
He died in June 2000 from injuries from an elk.

Twelve of his offsprings went to become alphas of a pack and/or produce pups.

·       52M [Founding Alpha Male of The Sunlight Basin Pack]
·       77F [Alpha Female of the Beartooth Pack]
·       78F [Founding Alpha Female of the Mills Creek Pack]
·       153F [Founding Alpha Female of The Absaroka Pack]
·       155F [Founding Alpha Female of The Freezeout Pack]
·       156F
·       161M [Founding Alpha Male of The Freezeout Pack]
·       162M [Founding Alpha Male of The Green River Pack]
·       190F [Third Alpha Female of The Rose Creek Pack]
·       192M [Founding & Very Longtime Alpha Male of The Bechler Pack]
·       193M [Third & Very Longtime Alpha Male of The Mollie's Pack]
·       194M [Longtime Beta Male of the Mollie's & Founding Alpha Male of The Specimen Ridge Pack]

8M is the Great Grand-Father of The Wapiti White Alpha Female.

I know there is a lot of numbers here but the park wolf population have always around 25-30 % of its population collared.

·       Yellowstone Wolf Project Annual Reports
·       Yellowstone Wolf Project Members
·       Charting Yellowstone Wolves : 25th Anniversary by Jim Halfpenny, Leo Leckie & Shauna Baron
·       Ralph Maughan Blog

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-14-2021, 08:41 PM by TheNormalGuy )

About the reply above, which i also post in a facebook group.

I got huge positive reactions and comments !

Two particurlarly struck me :

Quote:"This is the most interesting post I have read on this site yet !!!!!"

Quote:"You just blew my mind!!!! Wow!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your knowledge. I LOVE THIS! I will probably read this a thousand times.

Your obvious love and commitment to wolves just made my day. This is just amazing. Thank you again."

- Two of many people that commented on my post !

WOW ! It is gratifying !