There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Wolverine (Gulo gulo)

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Shir Babr :

You're biased. At first you showed a skeleton (you seem unable to judge an animal's morphology according to his skeleton) after an animal, living under cold climate, in his summer coat. You're simply not coherent.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-08-2018, 06:04 PM by Rishi )

(06-08-2018, 12:54 PM)Spalea Wrote: You're biased. At first you showed a skeleton (you seem  unable to judge an animal's morphology according to his skeleton) after an animal, living under cold climate, in his summer coat. You're simply not coherent.

By saying that the skeleton was rather gracile, I was implying that it looks less robust than other mustelids, given the animal's size; seemingly annoyed, you replied: that no, because when YOU see it, we (?) clearly see a rather stocky animal, that I just needed to imagine it covered with fur, and that the neck, humerus and femurs were thick. You claim those bones are thick, but compared to whose?
Because other mustelids have thicker bones in proportion. Then I said that I don't have to imagine the skeleton covered in fur, because we know the live appearance of the animal, and I gave the example of the snow leopard, which looks compact when it really isn't, like the wolverine. To that you replied that we don't have the same definitions of gracile and stocky, because according to your logic, hair is what makes an animal stocky... So I put a pic of a wolverine in summer, when its coat is shorter and more revealing of the true proportions of the animal, to which you simply straw-manned me, claiming that I'm biased, incoherent and "unable to judge an animal's morphology according to his skeleton", as if we were discussing a paleontological reconstruction, well excuse me.

Sorry for not following the narrative that wolverines are super weasels on steroids that eat steel...

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@Rishi @Tshokwane  Please see the matter
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

I don't see the problem with it, frankly.

You both need to realize that having different opinions on the matter doesn't mean you have to go at each other's throats at the first sign of said disagreement.

Reacting emotionally to something some siimple as "to me it looks stocky" opposed to "to me it's lean and gracile" it's silly, to say the least.

Accept that you look at it differently, and move on from it.

And one more thing.

You know that here at Wildfact we try to keep it civil at all times. When people of different nacionalities and languages say what they want to say in english, it could potentially come off as an attack or accusing the other of saying or not saying. I know it happens to me from time to time.

So do both things. Read again what you're writing, see if to the other reading it in english comes off as an attack when maybe you're just speaking your opinion, and maybe change it slightly to say the same thing but nicer.

And, on the other hand, don't be over sensitive over a minimal thing and read a sentence for what it's really saying, don't just react emotionally to it.

Then we'll be able to have better discussions and debates, which is one of the ways we can improve this foru and learn at the same time.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

Sorry, I totally missed the notification for this. What I meant was if someone else could weigh in what was being discussed rather than how it was being discussed.

Anyway, a white wolverine:

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like Shir Babr's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Wolverine hunting reindeer in Norway. Outcome is unknown 

3 users Like Pantherinae's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

Wolverine going after mule deer fawn in Montana.

2 users Like Shir Babr's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

Amazing footage of a reindeer fighting a wolverine during a snow storm.

1 user Likes Shir Babr's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

Maybe the largest congregation of wolverines on video, they were attracted by some sort of dumpsters in Yakutia.

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

Wolverine running at full speed.

Mexico Shir Babr Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-24-2018, 12:09 PM by Shir Babr )

Wolverine being followed by a red fox in Norway. Probably was looking for his food cache.

Russian Federation AlexE Offline
Watchlisted Member

Wolverine vs wolf fight

1 user Likes AlexE's post

Russian Federation AlexE Offline
Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 08-14-2018, 06:48 PM by AlexE )

Wolverine vs wolf wolverine winner. No full video (cropped video)

2 users Like AlexE's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-14-2018, 01:21 PM by Shadow Edit Reason: wrong video )

Here is one encounter in finnish wildlife, wolf is robbing wolverine :) Oh, sorry, I had wrong link at first. Now it is what is said to be :)

3 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(08-14-2018, 06:38 PM)AlexE Wrote: Wolverine vs wolf wolverine winner. No full video (cropped video)

But it was the wolf in the end eating carcass Wink Not wolverine. So I guess, that both survived :)
1 user Likes Shadow's post