There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whos Watching IQ Lion vs Hyenna?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-12-2015, 04:33 AM by Pckts )

This is a Doc using Kevin Richardsons "wild/Captive" lions and Hyennas.

So far the show is very interesting.
A couple of Notes so far

-Packer came in with his dummy test
-Played the sound of a unknown male lions roar
-The dummy was a Black maned lion
-Richardson released a Golden maned male and his female
-The female was the first to investigate and looked very intrigued by the male
-The golden mane maled was very aprehensive and tentative
-The male didn't get close until after the female came in and he was never aggressive
-The female actually chases the car that has the male dummy in it because she wanted to mate with the dark maned male.
Pretty funny actually

-Next they released a Black maned male and his female
-Hearing the roar the male was first to investigate
-The male after a few sniffs, began to attack the hind section
-The female attacked the throat and put on a death hold
-They tore it apart

Just more evidence that the color of the mane is the visual cue of a Lions status

Now on to the IQ test

Its amazing how smart Hyenna are
In fact, hyenna are now a long with Chimps and Ravens, the only known animals to display "deception" even though I am sure a lot of others do this as well, they have been the only ones to do this in a test.
Lions are not as cooperative as we thiink, which has been stated by packer. They are more geared toward # of animals all mauling the prey at the same time and over whelming it. Both are smart but you can tell with out a shadow of a doubt that Hyenna are incredibly intellegent but also very nervous. Its been very interesting so far, there is a new episode on the Smithsonian channel tonight. I suggest you watch it.

3 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-13-2015, 09:53 PM by Pckts )

A recap of Wed Episode

-Mirror Test 
The mirror test used a mirror on one side of a cage, then a wall was used to seperate the cage and Kevin was sitting on the other side of the cage and he would have a piece of meat. 
-The goal was to see if lions and hyennas could use the mirror as a advantage or to realize that meat was being dropped then they would have to walk around the wall and get the meat. 
-The Lioness after checking them selves out in the mirror for a bit, realized it and did it fairly easily.
-The male lion was to consumed with trying to get at the "other male lion" aka Reflection to go after any meat. Funny quote from Kevin "all brawn no brain" 
-Testostorone overides the brain which I assume happens in most male species [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
-Hyennas figured it out in seconds and didn't even need kevin to "drop" the meat, he used a metal tray to train them. So he didn't even have to tempt them.

2nd test
"can lions count?"
Kevin set up "prey" 2d cutouts
Impala, buffalo, Kudo, boar 

He would release one lioness and they always attacked the impala
2 lioness, still attacked the Impala
1 Lioness and 1 Male Lion attacked the Buffalo
Released them again and they intially were stalking the buffalo until the buffalo got blown over by the wind then they went to the impala next.

They figured the more lioness they release the larger the prey, so more or less they realize "advantage or size"

Hyenna were so smart that they realized the it was cardboard and never even attempted a kill on it. They realized it in seconds.

So far its been a very interesting series, I recommend it to all.
3 users Like Pckts's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

Canines in general are much smarter than felines. I base this on my own observations,
having had both as pets. No contest. 
1 user Likes chaos's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-13-2015, 09:55 PM by Pckts )

Hyennas are not cannines 

But I doubt there is any proof of cannines being smarter than felines. They are wired very differently, cannines are bred to follow command, cats are not. IMO
1 user Likes Pckts's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-14-2015, 06:51 AM by chaos )

Wired differently or not, canines make the better self beneficial decisions. Like I said
no contest. Whatever genus hyenas fall under, obviously they're smarter than cats.
Oh, excuse me, perhaps not smarter than tigers. lol 

Bigcat Enthusiast

So you mistakenly call hyennas canines then you try and say canines are smarter than cats with no proof of course. Then you make it about Tigers?
Typical non sense from you.
"canines make better self beneficial decisions"
Oh really, is that why cats and dogs are equally as succesful in a human ran world?
Probably should just stick with your UFO thread. 
Back to the topic [img]images/smilies/dodgy.gif[/img]

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-14-2015, 04:25 AM by Pckts )

Mods, if any more derailment occurs can you please remove it and I will happily remove my comments as well?
This thread is simply about the doc and thats it. Thank you

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-14-2015, 06:03 AM by chaos )

Lighten up Pockets. Geez . Yes I firmly stand by what I said. Sorry I've never administered an IQ test to my pets.
No need to. Its been clearly obvious under my roof who is more intelligent. If you disagree with my assessment,
fine. The suns still gonna rise tomorrow, regardless. The tiger quip was just a harmless joke. Get over it

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-14-2015, 08:28 AM by Pckts )

Your PERSONAL opinions on cat and dog intelligence have nothing to do with Hyena and Lion intelligence nor this documentary. Start a new thread with your "observations" that you feel so clearly "prove" your opinion and state it there. Feel free to use evidence and proof though,it may help you prove a point.

Mods, if we can remove the parts that have nothing to do with the thread, that would be great. 
Mine included.
Thank you

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

My statemements were a direct response to the hyena-lion intelligence. My intent was quite obvious. A simple refence to
canine- feline intellect, of which I mistakenly believed was relevant. Sorry it went way over your head. Your issues with me
have nothing to do with this thread. Let it go Pockets.  

United States Siegfried Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Animal intelligence in general (felines, canines, hyenas, or anything else) can be difficult to assess and even more difficult to compare.  This comic comes to mind.

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Siegfried's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(03-14-2015, 06:05 PM)'chaos' Wrote: My statemements were a direct response to the hyena-lion intelligence. My intent was quite obvious. A simple refence to
canine- feline intellect, of which I mistakenly believed was relevant. Sorry it went way over your head. Your issues with me

I love how you are wrong yet it "went over my head"
Nice logic.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(03-14-2015, 06:34 PM)'Siegfried' Wrote: Animal intelligence in general (felines, canines, hyenas, or anything else) can be difficult to assess and even more difficult to compare.  This comic comes to mind.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Spot on, Siegfried. Thats the whole point of this doc, not that one is "smarter" than the other, its that what have they evolved their brain power for.

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

(03-14-2015, 11:55 PM)'Pckts' Wrote:
(03-14-2015, 06:05 PM)'chaos' Wrote: My statemements were a direct response to the hyena-lion intelligence. My intent was quite obvious. A simple refence to

I love how you are wrong yet it "went over my head"
Nice logic.

Kinda funny it worked out that way. lol