There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's Been To Africa?

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

@Pckts,

How are you within the UK? At least that's what it shows on the flag near your profile name.

And about future trips...

I might take a third and last expedition to the Arctic (either this following summer or after all of college, am unsure as of yet), and will definitely take a trip to the Appalachian Trail during winter break with some of my close friends. I'll update all members on this as soon as I make a decision.

P.S.- Can't wait for your pictures and personal opinions of the trip! ?
1 user Likes Polar's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Not sure about the flag, right now I'm in a tented camp in the middle of the Serengeti. Yesterday was my first full day through and it was amazing!!!

I saw the big 5 on one safari (very rare)
2 male lions each mating with different females with in the same pride.

Female leopard and a MASSIVE male leopard with a water buck kill in his tree

We tracked a black rhino and he walked directly behind the vehicle

Elephants everywhere

Cape buffalo, one big male with scars on his face standing between us and the rest of his bachelor brothers.

Crocs, hippos, giraffes, eland, warthog, waterbuck, red buck, porcupine, cobra, mongoose (ringed and marsh), gazelle, Impala, many birds and more....
I have so many pictures, I can't wait to share. Great images of lions with cars for scale, males standing up and so on. 

What a magnificent place, today we leave early to head out to the crater!!! 
It's my last day on safari so hopefully my luck continues for one more day.
4 users Like Pckts's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

Sometimes the IPs are inaccurately assigned to locations.

Sounds awesome, @Pckts! How wild is the surroundings of your camp? In the heart of savanna at night would be a breathtaking, awesome, and scary experience.
3 users Like tigerluver's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Put it this way @tigerluver
I just listened to lions roaring and we hear hyena most of the night, my buddy got to hear a kill by hyena. We are in the heart of it and it's very scary/incredible. 

All I can say is that India is next, safaris are out of this world, what an amazing adventure so far.
5 users Like Pckts's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Awesome @Pckts.
Flag is base on IP address (current). May be the WIFI you are using is via any UK ISP.
Anyway, Once you back to US take some time and make a separate with long details. We will wait
Wish you luck
3 users Like sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-15-2016, 07:46 PM by Pckts )

My safari is over unfortunately, what an amazing time I've had. I'm now in Zanzibar finishing off this once in a lifetime holiday. I have so many pictures and stories to tell once I'm back.

I can't wait to share everything with you all, the only thing I missed was a kill in action but I did get to see a coalition of 5 3+yr old mails on a buffalo cow kill in the crater, and many, many lions as well. Some with in a few feet plus so much more.

Also, Tarangire may be one of the most underrated parks ever, that place has everything and it's absolutely stunning!
3 users Like Pckts's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

Wow! Brother, your duty is to render detailed report with proper fotodocumentation!
3 users Like Amnon242's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-18-2016, 09:09 AM by Pckts )

Once I get home, I'll upload pictures and make sure to give detailed information on each place. I think I'll upload it place by place because everywhere is so different. I also want to include my trip to the Maasai as well because I think many of us have it wrong when we think about them and Arica as a whole. It's not a war torn continent with blood diamonds and AIDS, it's very democratic now and much more progressive than we give it credit for. (At least most parts but not all of course)
2 users Like Pckts's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-19-2016, 04:28 PM by peter )

Have you been able to compare Crater lions with those living in other regions?
2 users Like peter's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-20-2016, 03:18 AM by Pckts )

I actually posted about it in the Ngorongoro thread, the crater is a very unique place though.
I saw a few lioness (same size as lioness in Serengeti) and a coalition of 5 3.5yr old males on a buffalo kill which appeared to be slightly smaller than the males I saw in the Serengeti, but they were still coming into their prime. 
I just landed back home, hopefully in a couple of days I'll be able to start posting images and see what you guys think.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Ok guys, since I have over 400 images to go through I'm going to break it down by Place.

First on my list is the Tarangire Park
This park is absolutely Gorgeous and a Must for any travelers going to Tanzania. It is filled with Baobab Trees and every animal you can think of. They have lions, leopards, cheetah, painted dogs, hyena, elephant, giraffe, warthog, zebra, wildabeast, baboon and more...

*This image is copyright of its original author

Baobab Tree

This was a watering hole covered by plants, when we arrived it had Giraffe, Ostrich, Baboon, Warthog and Zebra all there at once then a pack of female elephants joined the group... One of the best sights of my life

The tallest and Heaviest land mammals on earth in one frame

This was a group of Bachelor Male elephants walking through a dried out river bed.
In the front of the Group was a massive male and bringing up the rear of the group was another massive male, once the male from back got to the front, the front male established dominance and gave the back male a jab with his tusks, It was awesome.

All of the images were taken by me, I have so many more but I'm trying to keep the posts as small as possible. I'll continue to post some here and there but right now I'm going to break it down into 3 parts.
Tarangire,
Serengeti,
Ngorongoro Crater
6 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-22-2016, 02:58 AM by Pckts )

Next Up:
The Serengeti

The serengeti is a massive amount of land, you will drive and see open plains, then rocks and dry forest, then dense forest, then oasis and so on... You never know what's around the corner so you must always be prepared.
I was screamed at by a elephant mother for using flash on my camera, we had another elephant charge at us but we were driving to fast, she charged cause we startled her. Cape buffalo are the most skiddish of all the animals I encountered, the cows will run but they always stop and look back at you just to let you know what they're capable of. We saw a bachelor group of males that meant business, they weren't running anywhere. The elephants rule all, they run out every animal, its not even a question. Zebra are by far the most alert and when they run you can feel the power in their hoofs, they are larger than wildabeast by a bit of a margin.

This guy is the Rarest of the Rare, we had to track this guy for a mile until we circled back around and let him walk right past us, and only us. What a Sighting!

Black Rhino

This HUGE boy dragged his Water buc kill up into the tree, he had fed and was now resting. His head and paws were just massive, WHAT A MALE!

Full Body

Horn Bill

Massive Cape Buffalo herd we saw as we were leaving the serengeti and heading to the Crater

This guy was part of the huge heard and never took his eyes off of us, check his horns out. He was so captivating

Big Mamma Showing her uneasy feeling towards us with her calf so close

No intro Needed, this was my favorite shot of a Hyena, they are so cool, their babies look like little bears.

This was the leader of the Bachelor Group of Buffalo I was talking about, he never stopped looking at us. He was an absolute monster, I can't imagine how a lion could take him on, only a pride. He was in his prime and confident, he was the king of his domain.

Now for the King...
This male and female along with another female were breeding and another male and female were off a bit breeding as well until elephant interrupted them and forced them to come closer to us

Same Guy, he was a big boy. I'd estimate him to be 180kg or so, he wasn't very long or extraordinarily tall but he was thick and had a full belly.

The largest female, the guy above was with her and one more

Some more of the pride

This was the 2nd male who was off breeding with another female until an elephant forced him towards us

As we sat watching these guys for an hour this big boy showed up!

As we were leaving to head to the crater, we drove through the serengeti and ran into this monster!
Elephant are right or left handed, you will usually see one tusk more worn than the other because they are dominate in one side or another.

So as we are leaving we start driving through this Oasis, like I stated the Serengeti is ever changing landscape, there was a pride a lions here and this male was with in a foot of us, probably the largest male I saw but he never stood up, but what I shot I got of him. I have the rest of his pride as well, but not worth posting, they are further off.

Like I said, it was an Oasis!

Beautiful Secretary bird

The very hard to spot, Serval... Our guide was the main reason we spotted these guys a few times.

Tomorrow I'll do the crater and add any other pictures I missed today. I hope you all have enjoyed so far...
6 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

One more I'm particularly proud of...

7 users Like Pckts's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Good and interesting Pckts. We look forward to see your shot. I follow!
1 user Likes Ngala's post

Shardul Offline

Keep them coming @Pckts , nice images!
2 users Like Shardul's post