There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's Been To Africa?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(12-09-2015, 02:14 PM)SVTIGRIS Wrote: I don't think it is reachable from Dubai (abu dhabi zoo), there was no specific continents in either zoo, I don't think that's the one.

Ok, that is the one that Dr. Phantera recommended to me.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Shardul Offline

(12-02-2015, 03:05 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 01:29 AM)sanjay Wrote: All the best @Pckts 
Hope you get some best suggestion and remember to have camera with you, We will wait for your images

You bet, I'm going to get a good camera this holiday season.
Any good recommendations would be appreciated as well, something around the $300-$600 range?

Since you'll be photographing wildlife, you'd need a proper zoom range. I would suggest the Nikon P900. Good picture quality and excellent zoom (24-2000mm).

You won't get any decent DSLR with a zoom lens in that price range, so the P900 should be good enough.
2 users Like Shardul's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Great, thanks for the recommendation @Shardul.

Canada Dr Panthera Offline
Pharmacist and biologist

(12-09-2015, 01:14 AM)Pckts Wrote: where is the abu dhabi zoo from dubai? Is it reachable? 
Here is the link to the Dubai Zoo
http://www.alainzoo.ae/

Was the Africa and Asia safari exhibit there when you went?
They don't show the enclosures so thats a bit upsetting, is this the place you went to as well?

The Al-Ain zoo is the one I am talking about and it is world class, when I trained there in the 1980's it had 42 African lions and 27 Bengal tigers among many other animals, they kept it a world class zoo ever since, the Dubai and Abu Dhabi zoos are poorly kept small zoos.
Al-Ain is about 100 miles away from Dubai so you need a day trip there
3 users Like Dr Panthera's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Yes, thank you Dr. I have looked it up, and the new continental exhibits seem to be very cool. I really hope to make it there one day of our trip.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(12-15-2015, 09:00 AM)Shardul Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 03:05 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 01:29 AM)sanjay Wrote: All the best @Pckts 
Hope you get some best suggestion and remember to have camera with you, We will wait for your images

You bet, I'm going to get a good camera this holiday season.
Any good recommendations would be appreciated as well, something around the $300-$600 range?

Since you'll be photographing wildlife, you'd need a proper zoom range. I would suggest the Nikon P900. Good picture quality and excellent zoom (24-2000mm).

You won't get any decent DSLR with a zoom lens in that price range, so the P900 should be good enough.

I began researching cameras a bit, and the Nikon looks cool, I have to ask a question though.
The nikon recommended only has 14mp or so and I have seen some canon and sony that have 24mp for the same price. Does the nikon recommended have a better zoom or something compared to others?
Just curious, since this is such a foreign subject to me and I really want to make a good decision.

Shardul Offline

@Pckts,

Which Canon and Sony models are you talking about? Are they DSLRs?
Beyond a point, the pixel count doesn't really make much difference. You won't be able to see much difference between the Image quality of a 14 MP vs a 24 MP camera. It ultimately depends on the lens and the sensor size. As a rule of thumb, you should pick a camera that has a larger sensor over the one which has a higher pixel count. The P900 is specifically designed for people who want to shoot nature and bird photography on a budget. I doubt the other models will have the same kind of reach. It also has a lot of DSLR level functions.

Another option you might want to look at are the entry level Nikon and canon DSLRs, which come with the 18-55 & 55-200mm lens as part of the camera kit. For large african mammals, 200mm should be decent and 18mm will cover your landscape needs.
2 users Like Shardul's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

@Shardul

These are a couple that I saw

Sony - Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Camera with 16-50mm and 55-210mm Lens Kit - Black
  • Model: ILCE6000YCS/B
  • SKU: 4322004
[*]24.3-megapixel, 23.5mm x 15.6mm Exmor CMOS sensor
[*]ISO 100-25,600 (stills)
[*]Shooting speeds up to 11 fps
[*]179-point phase-detection and 25-point contrast-detection autofocus

4.8(43 Reviews)
Included Free: Shutterfly 8 X 8 Photo Book - Shutterfly [Digital Download Add-On], SanDisk - Ultra Plus 16GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card - Black/Gray/Red

Canon - EOS Rebel T5i DSLR Camera with 18-55mm IS STM and 55-250mm IS II Lenses - Black
  • Model: 8595B102
  • SKU: 4412001
[*]18.0-megapixel CMOS sensor
[*]ISO 100-12,800 (expandable to 50 and 25,600)
[*]Optical image stabilization

4.7(3 Reviews)
Included Free: Shutterfly 8 X 8 Photo Book - Shutterfly [Digital Download Add-On]
Check Shipping & Availability

Both are around $599.95
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/camera...s-20151218

Just wondering how they compare to the one recommended.
Thanks again

Shardul Offline

@Pctks

The Sony here is a mirrorless camera. I am not that knowledgeable on them, but from what I know they are compact and lighter than DSLRs, but have slower autofocus and lower battery life, although that might depend on the model. Also, DSLRs come with a huge assortment of lenses, so if you want to buy a new lens in the future, you would have a far bigger choice with DSLRs. Remember, you're not just buying a camera, you're also getting into a family. A nikon lens won't fit on a canon and vice versa. Similarly, lenses for mirrorless cameras and DSLRs are different. The Canon rebel is a DSLR, however, both the sony and canon look very good deals on paper. 

With wildlife, you need to have fast and continuous autofocus, since the subjects are constantly moving, and the ability to shoot continuously. So you need to take these factors into account. I am expecting Image quality  to be similar for both. So you might want to check both the models (along with the Nikon) in a camera shop, take a few snaps, check how fast they focus in low light, how fast they can shoot on burst, image stabilization, body build, and overall feel and see which one you're more comfortable with. Don't just order online.
3 users Like Shardul's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Great advice, thanks again. I really appreciate the help to a novice, like me.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Thats great advice by @Shardul , I can confirm with my experience, I am not photographer but I follow them and have read about  these things
2 users Like sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-21-2015, 11:14 PM by Pckts )

@Shardul
So, I went again this weekend and did a little more research, I do like the image quality of the Nikon compared to Sony mirrorless camera, didn't get a chance to toy around with the Cannon but a fellow photographer told me that cannon have notoriously great lenses you can upgrade to.... most lenses I see start between 18mm and go to about 140mm or so with changing the lens.

Unfortunately they didn't have the P900 so I couldn't mess around with it. Sad

But I did take a picture of the specs on another and I was hoping to get your input...

This is one that caught my eye

*This image is copyright of its original author

Its a little more but comes with a 200mm lens kit and the MP are higher as well. Whats your opinion on this compared to the P900?

Also, for the storage, what is size Memory card do you recommend?
What type of amount of pictures can I expect with it as well?

Thanks again for your expertise, its very appreciated.

Shardul Offline

@Pckts,

Canon and Nikon both come with an array of lenses. But Canon has a bigger marketshare and so you've got a better chance selling your lens in the future and/or buying a used lens. But IMO, Nikon has better cameras in the entry level DSLR segment, which the D3200 you have a picture of, is. I've used it, and it is an excellent choice. But with the canon you have slightly more reach (250mm vs 200mm) and it is also cheaper. So it boils down to what matters to you more.

Regarding memory cards, it depends on the image size, quality and format you have chosen. Jpeg files will be smaller than RAW (or what Nikon calls .NEF) files, which are anywhere between 14-25 mb per image. So taking that into account, you might wanna go with atleast one 32 GB card. Preferably 2 cards, if you are not traveling with a laptop you can transfer your images to during your trip.
3 users Like Shardul's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I just purchased the Nikon 3200 with a 200mm lens kit for $399.00 
Apparently the 3300 is replacing it so the 3200 is a great price online right now.

I can't wait to get it and start messing around with it
3 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

When shooting wildlife or landscape should I use one of the specific functions?
Like the Landscape function on the camera or just manually dictate the zoom and lens my self?
Also, should I use auto focus at all or just do it my self?
2 users Like Pckts's post