There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's Been To Africa?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

After lots of debating between Africa and India, I have decided to go to Africa first.
This decision had a lot to do with my GF and Friend who both seemed to prefer Africa over India. I would of Rather gone to India but its not like I am bummed to be going to Africa instead. Both have been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember and I must see them both.

I have recently spoken with Kanwar and got some great advice and Im hoping to speak to Anjan as well.
We will be going in sept. which is prime migration time but its also very busy there as well, apparently.

Its between

Vic falls + lower Zambezi + south luangwa NP in Zambia for 2 weeks
( canoe through Zambezi river and combine Victoria falls either with lower Zambezi national park in Zambia or mana pools)

or

2 nights in Tarangire, 2 nights in Ngorongoro, 3 nights in Serengeti north, 3 nights in Serengeti Central (maybe do central first and then north) fly to Zanzibar for 3 nights from Serengeti ....

or

Tanzania where you can cover Tarangire, Ngorongoro, North Serengeti for migration and central serengeti for year long active population of big cats ...

These were some of the recommendations I have received thus far and If anybody else here has any others, it would be greatly appreciated.
We are obviously looking to be price conscious and are hoping to be put in touch with a the right operator.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Wow, Its great Idea Pckts. Visiting these places are like living your dream. I wish you good luck and hope to see lot of photos from your trip.
Wish I could help you more but I have no further idea about best time to visit Africa. All the best Like
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Yeah mate, good luck with your future travels.

I know literally nothing about the especific places to go, but I've read many lodges in the Sabi sands are great. Again, I have no idea about how costly it is, but the comments that are left in the reserves pages always speak good about it. Also, there is great animal viewing, especially leopards and lions(The Majingilane hang around in Inyati and Idube Game reserve. Not that I'm biased towards them, no... Grin ) But really, those places seem great. 
Wherever you go, enjoy it and bring us some pics of the animals you see.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-20-2015, 12:16 AM)Majingilane Wrote: Yeah mate, good luck with your future travels.

I know literally nothing about the especific places to go, but I've read many lodges in the Sabi sands are great. Again, I have no idea about how costly it is, but the comments that are left in the reserves pages always speak good about it. Also, there is great animal viewing, especially leopards and lions(The Majingilane hang around in Inyati and Idube Game reserve. Not that I'm biased towards them, no... Grin ) But really, those places seem great. 
Wherever you go, enjoy it and bring us some pics of the animals you see.

I'll have to look into them.
Could you do me a huge favor and point me in the direction of some of these reserves pages?
I'll look around as well.
Thanks soo much.

Its still a year away but I cannot wait, I will make sure to take as many pictures as I can muster without getting in the way of the actual experience of course.

Shardul Offline

Great to hear, Pckts. It will be a memorable experience for sure.

If you ever decide to visit India, please let us know here. We can help you plan out the whole trip.
1 user Likes Shardul's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-24-2015, 01:12 AM)Shardul Wrote: Great to hear, Pckts. It will be a memorable experience for sure.

If you ever decide to visit India, please let us know here. We can help you plan out the whole trip.

I definitely will!

India will be the following year around the same time, I hope.

Bigcat Enthusiast

My flight is booked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dubai for a few days then its off to Africa!
I have never been this excited about anything in my life. I feel like a child who has discovered Christmas for the first time.

That being said, I have done quite a bit of research on africa but very little on Dubai.
I know @Roflcopters said that Dubai is one of his favorite places to travel and I am looking for any recommendations on where to stay or what sites to go to?
This is our "sub-vacation" so I am not looking to spend a lot of money here, so any recommendations please keep that in mind.
Thank you soo much for any advice you can provide.
Regards,

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

All the best @Pckts 
Hope you get some best suggestion and remember to have camera with you, We will wait for your images
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(12-02-2015, 01:29 AM)sanjay Wrote: All the best @Pckts 
Hope you get some best suggestion and remember to have camera with you, We will wait for your images

You bet, I'm going to get a good camera this holiday season.
Any good recommendations would be appreciated as well, something around the $300-$600 range?

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@ Pckts: All the best as concerns your future travel !

I went to Africa during the october month ... 26 years ago in Kenya (Nairobi, Amboseli, Nakuru, Masai Mara and Tsavo Parks). But I see that is not your destination, and , anyway, this is too old that I advise you, the Africa continent evolves so much and so fast...

Fill your head with a lot of wild life visions !
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Canada Dr Panthera Offline
Pharmacist and biologist

(12-02-2015, 12:37 AM)Pckts Wrote: My flight is booked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dubai for a few days then its off to Africa!
I have never been this excited about anything in my life. I feel like a child who has discovered Christmas for the first time.

That being said, I have done quite a bit of research on africa but very little on Dubai.
I know @Roflcopters said that Dubai is one of his favorite places to travel and I am looking for any recommendations on where to stay or what sites to go to?
This is our "sub-vacation" so I am not looking to spend a lot of money here, so any recommendations please keep that in mind.
Thank you soo much for any advice you can provide.
Regards,

Have fun, I grew up in Dubai a long time ago so I will not spoil it for you you will be amazed.
From animal observation point of view if you find the time to to do a side trip to Al-Ain Zoo about 90 miles away from Dubai, it is one of the best zoos in the world you can see there white tigers, Bengal tigers from Nepal and Bangladesh , White lions, African lions, Asiatic lions, Arabian leopard, African leopards, North African cheetah , Serengeti cheetah, Jaguars,and Pumas to name a few.
1 user Likes Dr Panthera's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Oh wow, thank you soo much for the recommendation Dr.
I will definitely make it to the zoo mentioned.

Im very excited for Dubai as well, we also have a lay over for 9hrs in Qatar (Doha) so I will be doing a very quick exploration there as well before I take my long flight home, if anybody else has info on that?

Thanks again

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

the zoo I went to in Dubai was awful, the tiger enclosure was about the size of a my bedroom! (about 5X2 m). I was sad to see all the animals in such bad condition, the gorilla in there was also in such a small space and threw rocks at people. All the animals were agitated, lazy, or dying. No wonder it was only 6 dirhams.

Although the Abu Dhabi zoo I went to was fantastic.
1 user Likes Sully's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-09-2015, 03:58 AM by Pckts )

where is the abu dhabi zoo from dubai? Is it reachable? 
Here is the link to the Dubai Zoo
http://www.alainzoo.ae/

Was the Africa and Asia safari exhibit there when you went?
They don't show the enclosures so thats a bit upsetting, is this the place you went to as well?

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

I don't think it is reachable from Dubai (abu dhabi zoo), there was no specific continents in either zoo, I don't think that's the one.