There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which zoos have rare big cats species

Canada Dr Panthera Offline
Pharmacist and biologist

Please post your own experience in seeing big cats from particular eco-types in different zoos ( please avoid non-accredited facilities/private collections)

Tigers:

Sundarban Bengal tigers: a male and a female in Damascus zoo-Syria 2010

Nepalese Bengal tigers: 27 tigers in Al-Ain zoo, UAE in the 1980's

Presumed Bengal tigers: ( unknown origins or mixed origins) several zoos

Malaysian tigers: a male and a female Houston zoo, USA 2013  (note: several American zoos state that they have Indochinese tigers, these in fact are Malaysian in origin, the only known P.t.corbetti are in zoos in Thailand and Vietnam)

Sumatran tigers: a male and a female in the Toronto zoo, Canada 2015, a male and a female in the London zoo, UK, 2009 and another couple in Drayton, UK 2009

Amur Tigers : a male and a female in the Bronx zoo, USA, two other couples in Calgary zoo, Canada and Edmonton zoo Canada 2008
A male in the Toronto zoo, Canada 1998, a male and a female in the Buffalo zoo USA 2015
A female in Safari Niagara, Stevensville, Canada 2015 ( her mate died the previous year)
A couple in the Vienna zoo , Austria 2009

White Tigers:
Safari Niagara 2015 a white male
4 users Like Dr Panthera's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-15-2015, 11:41 PM by Pckts )

Here is the info from when I went to the San Diego Safari Park

"I did the behind the scenes Tiger Exhibit.

I didn't get to see the Male lion, only cubs, but the male lion there is almost 500lbs according to my zoologist guide."

Sumatran Tiger weights

*This image is copyright of its original author

Majel, one of the Female sumatrans

*This image is copyright of its original author

And I almost forgot, we watched the cheetah run,
The first let a dog do it for you to see, then the cheetah.
The cheetah is so sturdy and tall, its strides are so long and it is sooooooooooo fast. Made the dog look like it was standing still, the dog was probably a sheppard mix, the cheetah was probably 4-6''s taller at the shoulder and much larger and longer. Its a big cat, just gets lost in the fray of all the other large animals it lives with. "

I have also recently went to the LA Zoo
Notes
-Saw a Snow Leopard, Sumatran Tiger, Lion Pair, Black bear and the jaguar wasn't visable. (all animals mentioned were sleeping :Sad )
2 users Like Pckts's post

Pharmacist and biologist

Lions:

Barbary Lions:
A male in Ain Sebaa zoo , Casablanca, Morocco 1980-1981
Several males and females Barbary/West African hybrid in Temara zoo, near Rabat, Morocco 1978-1981

Asiatic Lions:
A male in the London zoo, UK, 2009
A couple in Budapest zoo, Hungary 2009

White Lions:
A couple in Safari Niagara, Stevensville, Canada 2015
A female in Toronto zoo, Canada 2015

African Lions: Pretty much in all zoos
3 users Like Dr Panthera's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Sumatran tigers, and asiatic lions in london zoo

Siberian tigers in whipsnade zoo

Siberian tigers and in colchester zoo

Those are the rarest I have seen, I have seen more common subspecies in these zoos too
2 users Like Sully's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

And white lion and tigers in paradise wildlife park
1 user Likes Sully's post

Pharmacist and biologist

Jaguars:
Melanistic Jaguars:
A black female in the Toronto zoo 2015 and a normal colored male
A black male in Safari Niagara, Canada 2015 and a normal colored female and cubs
A couple in the Bronx zoo, Houston zoo, and the Calgary zoo
3 users Like Dr Panthera's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

For once, I'm going to advertise a french zoo: zoo de Beauval (Loir et Cher department), the biggest french zoo ( around 6.000 animals) with among the big cats:

White tigers and white lions, snow leopards, black jaguars.
3 users Like Spalea's post

Pharmacist and biologist

Leopards:

Arabian Leopards:
Al-Ain zoo , UAE, 1980's
Centre for Endangered Arabian Wildlife, Sharjah, UAE 2006

Atlas Leopard:
Ain Sebaa zoo, Casablanca , Morocco 1980-1981

Amur leopard:
Granby zoo, Montreal, Canada 2012
Safari Niagara , Stevensville, Canada 2015