There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegan

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-04-2018, 02:57 PM by Rishi )

After 3 decades of eating meat every day I have decided to go vegan for a month to see how I feel and go from there. This choice is based on the relationship I have with animals as well as being untrustworthy of how our animals are farmed today. 

I've been researching this for some time, I'm aware of most protein rich plant based foods but I'm still a novice to the "vegan game."

If anybody has any first hand expierence, opinions or stories on being a vegan or vegan related topics, feel free to post about them.
3 users Like Pckts's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 04-01-2016, 11:44 PM by sanjay )

Interesting post @Pckts , I am interested in posts of other members and want to see what they feel. I also want to turn vegetarian but couldn't dared so far. You post made me to rethink my decision once again and I think I should also try it at least few months to see the result. Though I eat non veg very less, 1 or 2 times in a Month
3 users Like sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Let's give it a shot @sanjay
We can compare notes in a month and see if we felt any improvements.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-18-2016, 10:41 PM by Pckts )

How's it going @sanjay?
I'm 18 days strong and I have noticed some changes in my body but I'm curious if you have noticed anything as well.

My notes thus far
-My digestive tract seems to be much more efficient.
-I no longer feel bloated or stuffed after a meal
-I also seem to be get full faster and require less food
-I have began a supplement process to insure I consume enough B12 and Iron
-I have been using protein powders some of which aren't quite vegan since they are derived from milk but that is because the vegan protein powders I have tried so far have been terrible.
-In the beginning I felt a bit slow on my recover time after I worked out but now I have been able to obtain enough protein to where I have not felt that way.

If you are interested in what foods I use to obtain my protein let me know.

Canada Charan Singh Offline

(04-18-2016, 10:29 PM)Pckts Wrote: How's it going @sanjay?
I'm 18 days strong and I have noticed some changes in my body but I'm curious if you have noticed anything as well.

My notes thus far
-I have been using protein powders some of which aren't quite vegan since they are derived from milk but that is because the vegan protein powders I have tried so far have been terrible.
-In the beginning I felt a bit slow on my recover time after I worked out but now I have been able to obtain enough protein to where I have not felt that way.

I started eating non-veg at the age of 11 and it was quite rare, once or twice a month.
In Aug 2015, I turned Vegetarian again (I eat dairy products) but never took supplements - in early 2016 had some emotional issues and couldn't do workout and my workout ethics got disturbed therefore I can't comment if I noticed any changes till 2017.

At the end of 2017 I was more emotionally stable and working out quite normally, and minimised sugar intake.

Here are few changes I observed:
- No bloating. 
- I got faster.
- MY physical appearance improved.

I don't feel requirement of any supplements and like this lifestyle.

@Pckts How is it going on your side?
3 users Like Charan Singh's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Oh @Pckts I forget this thread.

I have turned Vegan since July 2018 and so far I am not eating meat. Though I still take eggs and dairy products which I will leave gradually.

Main reason for turning vegan is the way human are farming the animals. The level of cruelty & brutality is extreme on animals. My reason not eating meat is not related to religion. I am not against of eating meat but against of inhumanity and barbarism shown towards farming animal.

The large companies had no emotion and humanity left, they want to produce lots of meat just to full fill the needs of us.

See these videos (View Discretion is Advised. Disturbing content )

These videos make me into tears and I can't justify myself of being human. Unfortunately I can not do anything, except leaving my part of meat forever.

You can see lot more similar videos on YouTube (Just search Animal cruelty video on YouTube)
4 users Like sanjay's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@Pckts and @sanjay 

Keep up the good work on a being on a plant based diet. !
I have been plant based diet for years. It is going to be difficult at first but gets easy as one adheres to it.
3 users Like Lycaon's post

Brazil Sirius-B Offline
New Join

Hello everyone, i'am relatively new to the forum, but i think this is one of the most important threads here. Leaving aside all the brutality that was already mentioned regarding the industry of meat, there's also the massive threat this industry causes to the conservation of especies and planet earth. Today, going vegan is the most efficient form of active conservation. In Brazil, i've personally watched this industry deforestate every single biome for pasture. For example, is responsible for 91% of the deforestation in the amazon forest. 
Just to mention a few other things from the giant list of terrible consequences that the practise causes: destruction of habitats, lider in water use, land use and greenhouse gases emission with metane. Desertification of areas, sealife destruction, extinction of species; main reason for deforestation and conflicts with wildlife all over the world. Conflicts like farmers and jaguars in Brazil; tigers, leopards and livestock in India; cheetahs and farmers in Namibia; wolves, cougars and farmers in United States and a immense list of others. It is impossible to supply the demand for animal products without destroing the planet, reports from United Nations advice the whole world to become vegan, otherwise they say, we are doomed. 

For more information on the subject, i recommend the documentary "cowspiracy", source of many information i used.
6 users Like Sirius-B's post

smedz Offline

To be honest, I'm very impressed by you guys! I actually tried tofu before, didn't like it. That's why I'm impressed, and me being an FFA member, that says a lot. Why? because many will act like vegans are crazy people and that they are smarter. However, I don't mind vegans because it's their life and their beliefs, it's not my place to tell them what to eat.
1 user Likes smedz's post

Switzerland nutjoe Offline
New Join

I'm being vegan by choice and this is the most right decision that I could ever make; I don't want to press on anybody as everyone has the right to make up his own mind. But some parts of vegan lifestyle are just irreplaceable, for example Candelilla Wax Vegan Flakes that I'm using. It's pure natural product that has a great impact on skin condition. Or, I do keto and I"m totally happy with it as it helps me feel myself better.
3 users Like nutjoe's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 05-15-2019, 08:16 AM by Wolverine )

This is a Russian-Greek Ortodox Church fasting calendar. All days painted with some color are days when meat is not allowed, while if there is no color mean you can eat meat freely. Different colors show a degree of vegetarianism or veganism - fish, cheese, milk etc. Could be calculated that almost half of the days in the year are vegan or vegetarian. Since my wife is very religious person we normally follow this calendar:

*This image is copyright of its original author

In the West as long as I know untill the Middle ages there were also huge periods of fasting, but later Catolic Church abolish this rule fore some reasons. But Eastern Churches - Greek, Russian etc still follow these fastings. 
For me is easy to not eat meat for long periods of time, but with milk and cheese is much harder, almost impossible.
2 users Like Wolverine's post

Canada Charan Singh Offline

(05-15-2019, 08:14 AM)Wolverine Wrote: This is a Russian-Greek Ortodox Church fasting calendar. All days painted with some color are days when meat is not allowed, while if there is no color mean you can eat meat freely. Different colors show a degree of vegetarianism or veganism - fish, cheese, milk etc. Could be calculated that almost half of the days in the year are vegan or vegetarian. Since my wife is very religious person we normally follow this calendar:

*This image is copyright of its original author

In the West as long as I know untill the Middle ages there were also huge periods of fasting, but later Catolic Church abolish this rule fore some reasons. But Eastern Churches - Greek, Russian etc still follow these fastings. 
For me is easy to not eat meat for long periods of time, but with milk and cheese is much harder, almost impossible.

Interesting and I didn't know about fasting calendar until now.

This Fasting calendar is quite similar to Indian Fasting calendar just that in India most Hindu are vegetarian therefore fasting days means gluten free or fruits only or water only diets.
But these days, most people in cities have non-veg diet.

Another fact that I learned of late is that early Christians, that is before Christianity was introduced/accepted by Roman empire, were vegetarians.
2 users Like Charan Singh's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I recently watched the Netflix Doc. Gamechangers and it motivated me again to go vegan.
Starting Jan. 1 I'm going to try it for a year and see how I feel.
Only straying away on special occasions

United Kingdom mogleygull Offline
New Join

(02-17-2019, 01:27 AM)Charan Singh Wrote:
(04-18-2016, 10:29 PM)Pckts Wrote: How's it going @sanjay?

My notes thus far

I started eating non-veg at the age of 11 and it was quite rare, once or twice a month.
In Aug 2015, I turned Vegetarian again (I eat dairy products) but never took supplements - in early 2016 had some emotional issues and couldn't do workout and my workout ethics got disturbed therefore I can't comment if I noticed any changes till 2017.

At the end of 2017 I was more emotionally stable and working out quite normally, and minimised sugar intake.

Here are few changes I observed:
- No bloating. 
- I got faster.
- MY physical appearance improved.

I don't feel requirement of any supplements and like this lifestyle.

@Pckts How is it going on your side?

Those are horrible videos and I'm wondering every time how violent and evil a human can be... I'm now permanently changing my life on all fronts. I've recently turned vegan cause felt bad after eating animal products and now I'm watching these shots and want to cry really... I've also been also treated against drug addiction in a special center https://addictionresource.com/insurance-coverage/ so I started over and feel happy, being in a good physical and mental shape
1 user Likes mogleygull's post