There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tigers hunting and killing large pachyderms

United Kingdom Spalea Online
Wildanimal Lover

(09-06-2018, 04:43 PM)brotherbear Wrote:
(09-06-2018, 01:19 AM)Spalea Wrote: Here we go again ! We have to read and suffer kilometers of biased accounts about adult tusker elephants and adult rhino killed by insatiable and invulnerable tigers. Avid tigers wanted to slaughter any big opponents living around it.

I think the tiger is, individually, the most extant accomplished predator on land. But you don't do it any favors by upholding the merciless predator myth. No one true scientist would take himself seriously such sentences or titles like "death by a thousand cuts" (read #2). That is ridiculous and laughable.

The only honest and valid account I reproduce here is from the #1 given by @brotherbear :

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/o...536997.ece 

A 20-year-old female elephant has been killed by a tiger in the Corbett Tiger Reserve (CTR), a forest official said.
The half-eaten body of the pachyderm was found by a forest patrolling team on Friday morning, Uttarakhand Chief Wildlife Warden Srikant Chandola said.
‘Rare incident'
“The killing of elephant calves by a tiger is a common incident in jungles, but this is a very rare incident when the tiger has attacked and killed an adolescent elephant,” he added.

It speaks about an adolescent elephant, that is the fact. 

You're lending some human attributes (appetite for power and massacre) to the tiger. It's called anthropomorphism.

It appears I made a mistake in opening this can of worms. I am simply impressed with the killing abilities of the big cats. Please feel free to delete this topic if you think it best.

Why ? I am not reproaching you about anything. Your first account was honest and objective. And like you I'm impressed by the killing abilities of the big cats.

I just responded to what it followed.
3 users Like Spalea's post

India Vegeta San Offline
Banned

(09-06-2018, 06:40 PM)Spalea Wrote: Why ? I am not reproaching you about anything. Your first account was honest and objective. And like you I'm impressed by the killing abilities of the big cats.

I just responded to what it followed.

You just impressed by killing abilities of bigcats but you won't believe their true power? Quite illogical. 

What you meant by first account is honest and all the others I posted are laughable? You think i made them, or you think all the officials mentioned there are tiger fan boys? Or you think famous biologist "Mel sunquist" is a tiger fan boy. That's really not true. Ask anyone here.

Remember you have done too much here. You accused people as "idiots" and "biased fan boys". I don't care, just because I'm not a"biased tiger fan" as you represented but if you really want to disprove by saying "laughable" or something here. You just need atleast reason for that. In which case it just looks to you like a unreliable or misinformation. Not your own opinions, because opinions are not "evidence"! If you don't believe biologist "Mel sunquist" or "Colonel kesri singh", that's your personal. I just can't convince someone like you who don't want to change their minds. But claiming something "laughable" is needed some evidence. I think you're smart enough to understand this one..
1 user Likes Vegeta San's post

Germany Jeffrey Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-07-2018, 01:31 AM by Jeffrey )

@Vegeta San  , it was just my opinion I'd meant that this would probably more common. But like you said in a fight takes place all night tigers finished of elephants rhinos which takes half a day and i agree with that, accounts have proofed this.
2 users Like Jeffrey's post

India Vegeta San Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 09-21-2018, 08:47 PM by Rishi Edit Reason: corrected the formating )

A 20 year old Elephant killed by a tiger attack in Corbett Tiger Reserve, April 2017.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Source: http://www.newspost.live/elephant-dies-i...er-attack/
4 users Like Vegeta San's post

Wildanimal Lover

@Vegeta San : about the photo showed at #19, twenty-year-old or not, this elephant is not an adult one: no tusk, and I would almost tell we see a baby elephant's head...

About #17: I didn't read Sunquist's accounts, but the George Schaller' ones who said that the tiger was the most powerful felid, by far. But never he told that, as you pretended, tiger was able to kill an adult wild male elephant or rhino. You just fantasized. As concerns your second "prominent person" how many times ago a colonel becomes a biologist ? And yes I repeat, the endless list of big pachyderms killed by tiger you provided is laughable. 

And please stop stammering and babbling; I never insulted you personnly as "idiot".
2 users Like Spalea's post

India Vegeta San Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 09-22-2018, 11:09 AM by Rishi )

(09-21-2018, 11:57 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Vegeta San : about the photo showed at #19, twenty-year-old or not, this elephant is not an adult one: no tusk, and I would almost tell we see a baby elephant's head...

Just because, it doesn't have tusks means it's a baby elephant? That's not how it was. Don't you know, female Elephants contain no tusks?

Quote:About #17: I didn't read Sunquist's accounts, but the George Schaller' ones who said that the tiger was the most powerful felid, by far. But never he told that, as you pretended, tiger was able to kill an adult wild male elephant or rhino. You just fantasized.

Well, you didn't read that one? That's what I posted to you. I'm not "fantasized" or something. This is another angry insult from you.

Quote:As concerns your second "prominent person" how many times ago a colonel becomes a biologist ?

Man, you clearly didn't read what I said. When did I say kesri singh is a biologist.

I said: If you don't believe biologist "Mel sunquist" or "Colonel kesri singh", that's your personal. I just can't convince someone who don't want to change their minds.

This is what I said there. The "biologist" refers to "sunquist" not kesri singh. First read my replies properly.

Quote:And yes I repeat, the endless list of big pachyderms killed by tiger you provided is laughable.

If you have any proof for your claim then show it.
1 user Likes Vegeta San's post

United States paul cooper Offline
Banned

Where did Schaller say that? Do you have sources?

Also guys.. englishes are very bads here. LMAO.

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-22-2018, 11:47 AM by Rishi )

For those who can't read hindi... the article in post #19 says that body of the young adult elephant was 2 weeks old & quite decayed. The FD located the carcass & found the tusks intact (it's a male, you can literally see the penis). It was eaten by a tiger & from the marks was concluded to have died in a tiger attack. 
I think the picture was taken by them after the tusks were removed (they burn those).

(09-22-2018, 10:29 AM)Spalea Wrote: Barka was indeed an idiot to always repeating the same tune "Tigers are the most wonderful and powerful animals, they can kill and eradicate all the other predators and pachyderms blablabla...", read him again what he eructed, just laughable and ridiculous. 
That was (somewhat) acceptable with a ranting troll...
Quote:And you, by doing the same thing, repeating the same mantra you're becoming a borned fanatic.
...this is not. Finding his sources too farfetched is a mere difference of opinions...
Quote: I'm not suffering of senility. But as concerns you, may be it would be good to see a doctor.
...this is definitely not, whatever the reason! 

Post deleted.

@Vegeta San try to ignore minor slights & stop picking fights.
2 users Like Rishi's post

Wildanimal Lover

@Rishi : OK, I recognize (admit) my bias...

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-29-2018, 08:00 PM by parvez )

(09-05-2018, 10:00 AM)Vegeta San Wrote: Thanks for starting this thread @brotherbear!

Here's a list of 100% legit, confirmed records of tigers killing adult Elephants and Rhinos, including Bulls. (Chronological order) Even some accounts of tigers mauling and severely injuring adult Elephants.

BENGAL TIGER ON ADULT RHINO KILL

Wildlife photography is not only about beautiful birds and lovable mammals. And Tiger is not a cuddly pussycat who you pet at home. However adorable and graceful it may look, Tiger is actually a lethal killing machine and the top predator in its habitat. All animals, big and small, are prone to become food of the Tiger.

In the forests of Assam, this Male Tiger at its prime killed an adult rhino, four or five times its own weight, that was grazing in a swamp and was in a relatively vulnerable position. The tiger sprang on to the top of the rhino from the higher bank of the swamp and broke the rhino’s neck before it could put up much of a fight! The tiger then gorged himself with its prize prey allowing many images and poses.

A few events in the forest are truly unforgettable and rank as rarest of the rare! This is one of them.

On this International Tiger Day, let us all take a solemn pledge to do our best to save the wild tigers of India and their habitats under threat.

Assam
India
Credit to Rajarshi Banerji

The cervical vertebrae are also very thick to be able to break and reach the spinal cord, 

hence i doubt whether the tiger kills by severing the spinal cord, the dimensions of these cervical vertebrae may be slightly lesser in gaurs but severing the bone(muscle in my opinion no way it is bone) in way less than a minute is something remarkable and incredible achievement. Breaking the neck means breaking the muscle and reaching the arteries. Even this task is no easy. Thats why i say bite force of tiger is something very unreachable for other carnivores.
8 users Like parvez's post

Suhail Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-29-2018, 10:07 PM by Suhail )

suspected tiger attack on a weak elephant:

We have also found tiger pug marks in the area. There is a possibility that a tiger might have attacked the weak elephant. Its trunk was missing from the carcass"
https://m.timesofindia.com/city/coimbatore/20-year-old-elephant-found-dead/articleshow/65445916.cms
4 users Like Suhail's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Gaurs easily have spines that are atleast twice as strong as humans'. I dont want to put estimates but just saying.
4 users Like parvez's post

India Vegeta San Offline
Banned

@parvez 

About post #25, that a great info. I appreciate your deep look on the subject.

There are accounts of tigers breaking necks of bull buffalos with paw swipes. Here's a picture from hunter "Bengt berg", of a buffalo neck broken and completely impaled by tiger.

Although, a rhino has short and broad neck. I don't think, a tiger can apply a strike on rhino neck successfully. 
So you're right. It may happened by the bite of tiger. It's a natural killing tactic of the tiger and most likely than attacking several times from rear (as wild dogs, wolves and hyenas do) as some suggested.

The tiger might attack the rhino by using this technique

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_qXWK_cXs

Attacking from back and making it to throat. Which is quite natural for tiger killing tactics.

But this account is exceptional. 
https://www.kaziranga-national-park.com/...kaziranga/

As the tiger was said to be subadult male, but fought the adult female rhino to death..
2 users Like Vegeta San's post

India parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2018, 11:54 AM by parvez )

Thanks @Vegeta San . I also feel after examining numerous neck anatomy pictures that the bones form the next immediate part after skin on back of neck. If blood vessels were targeted, then they would have used the term, ''punctured". But they say broken. Even in case of crocodiles, their skin is very thick. I have heard from experts that crocodiles are killed on frequent basis. So, to be able to pierce rhino, crocodile skins and reach the blood vessels or break the thick muscles is remarkable. I am always awed by the feats of tiger.
In the article you mentioned, rhinos neck was targeted and broken. There was no rear portion attack.
2 users Like parvez's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

the sub adult male had nothing to do with the female rhino’s death, it was KZT085 that killed the rhino and the sub adult male.
2 users Like Roflcopters's post