There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The strongest bites in the animal kingdom

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

Bite Force continued:

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

Bite Force continued:

Grizzly Enthusiast

Bears: 
3 users Like brotherbear's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

carnivoraforum.com/topic/9333832/1/  

Lion - BFQ ca 123.8 / BFQ carn 128.1

Tiger - BFQ ca 130.4 / BFQ carn 129.1

Grizzly - BFQ ca 99.3 / BFQ carn 90.3

*My conclusion: The bite force of a grizzly is roughly three quarters that of a lion or a tiger.
4 users Like brotherbear's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

For the grizzly: The BFQ is quite different on post #77 compared to post #78.

United States paul cooper Offline
Banned

The method for finding bite force from post 78 is different from the tiger. I debated warsaw the rat ? on carnivora about that.
2 users Like paul cooper's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

I would like to know the truth concerning the comparing of bear vs big cat bite-force. So much on the internet is garbage, even when it appears legit.
4 users Like brotherbear's post

India Vinay Offline
Banned

(01-25-2018, 12:12 PM)brotherbear Wrote: Bite Force: 

... your two different sources are contradictory  (Jaguar's psi 2000 Vs Bengal 1050) .... then your second source gives Jaguar bite force is almost half of Tiger's bite force.
1 user Likes Vinay's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

I have seen many contradictions in animal bite-force testings. There is a logical reason for this. How does one persuade an animal to "give it his all" when performing this bite test?
5 users Like brotherbear's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

So here was own thread for biting forces too. This looks like to be one very controversial issue when so many different kind of studies. I wonder if there is any larger new study, where same scientist group would have made testing with different species with same methods and equipment to get reliable and comparable results? With new I mean something published in last 3-5 years.
2 users Like Shadow's post

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(03-02-2019, 03:24 PM)Shadow Wrote: So here was own thread for biting forces too. This looks like to be one very controversial issue when so many different kind of studies. I wonder if there is any larger new study, where same scientist group would have made testing with different species with same methods and equipment to get reliable and comparable results? With new I mean something published in last 3-5 years.

Bite force experiments are at best subjective. With different methods, the result will be always gonna be different.
2 users Like johnny rex's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(03-02-2019, 04:10 PM)johnny rex Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 03:24 PM)Shadow Wrote: So here was own thread for biting forces too. This looks like to be one very controversial issue when so many different kind of studies. I wonder if there is any larger new study, where same scientist group would have made testing with different species with same methods and equipment to get reliable and comparable results? With new I mean something published in last 3-5 years.

Bite force experiments are at best subjective. With different methods, the result will be always gonna be different.

Yes, but when different people make studies in different times, it is very difficult to know how comparable really.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-02-2019, 04:34 PM by Shadow )

(03-02-2019, 04:18 PM)Shadow Wrote:

Yes, but when different people make studies in different times, it is very difficult to know how comparable really.

I mean, when it is measuring size of some animal, it is quite simple. You just take some measurements from commonly agreed places. When measuring bones and skulls it is also very simple when using commonly agreed points, where measurements are taken. That also makes it easy and simple give some weight estimations based on commonly agreed calculation formula. Simple and easy.

But when we are talking about bite force, there are more variables like used equipment, how animal was made to bite and how it was done so, that animal really gave effort.... not as simple anymore. There can be many opinions naturally, when many times results are somewhat different from different sources. Personally I am hoping, that something new would come up and that was what I was asking here now:)
3 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Btw I read your reply first somewhat sloppy, so my answer to you is because of that maybe "odd". You were talking about same thing actually as I was Grin But anyway hopefully some scientists would have enough interest and funds to make a new and good study about this subject.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

Quick note as this seems to be a common misconception, bite force studies don't usually involve an animal actually biting. The measurements are based on skull morphometrics such as the area of the masseteric fossa. In other words, all animals studied are dead and their dry bones are simply being measured. The equipment includes a caliper, maybe a CT scanner, and a computer, no pressure sensors involved.
2 users Like tigerluver's post