There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The Matshapiri Males

South Africa HouseOfLions Offline

And he is back! MalaMala just confirmed today, on Facebook, that they fuller-maned Matshipiri male is back and was een in the Sand River West of Elephant Rock. He does have some battle scars but nothing serious!
1 user Likes HouseOfLions's post

United States Chris M. Offline

It seems the healthy, fuller-maned Matshapiri male is still alive after the battle and doing well. He had some fresh battle scars but nothing too serious. I post the info I saw on the bottom. They were just copy and paste info so I don't know the original link; maybe some of you guys know where the original URL is. If anyone knows the link please share with us.

MALAMALA TODAY: July 5th. Zebra. Not a species normally mentioned in these updates although we are dazzled by them daily. This morning, at Clarendon Open Area, we could've been excused for thinking we were in East Africa... over 100 zebras and 2 herds of wildebeest came to drink from the dam mid-morning. It was a spectacular sight as rival stallions fought and foals playfully ran through the grassland. 2 lion sightings: He's back! The fuller-maned Matshipiri male was seen in the Sand River west of Elephant Rock. He's sporting some fresh battle scars but nothing too serious. The Eyrefield pride were viewed moving east from the Sand River towards Jakkalsdraai Open Area. 2 leopards: the Senegal Bush male was found east of Bicycle Crossing as he continues to push into Treehouse male territory. An unidentified female moved westwards away from Main Camp. We forgot to mention it in yesterday's update but the Bicycle Crossing male was seen last night moving south in front of Rattray's Camp. Many elephants were viewed today as well as excellent general game sightings and 2 flocks of Ground Hornbills. #malamalagamereserve #itsallaboutthewildlife
2 users Like Chris M.'s post

South Africa HouseOfLions Offline

(07-06-2017, 11:10 AM)Chris M. Wrote: It seems the healthy, fuller-maned Matshapiri male is still alive after the battle and doing well. He had some fresh battle scars but nothing too serious. I post the info I saw on the bottom. They were just copy and paste info so I don't know the original link; maybe some of you guys know where the original URL is. If anyone knows the link please share with us.

MALAMALA TODAY: July 5th. Zebra. Not a species normally mentioned in these updates although we are dazzled by them daily. This morning, at Clarendon Open Area, we could've been excused for thinking we were in East Africa... over 100 zebras and 2 herds of wildebeest came to drink from the dam mid-morning. It was a spectacular sight as rival stallions fought and foals playfully ran through the grassland. 2 lion sightings: He's back! The fuller-maned Matshipiri male was seen in the Sand River west of Elephant Rock. He's sporting some fresh battle scars but nothing too serious. The Eyrefield pride were viewed moving east from the Sand River towards Jakkalsdraai Open Area. 2 leopards: the Senegal Bush male was found east of Bicycle Crossing as he continues to push into Treehouse male territory. An unidentified female moved westwards away from Main Camp. We forgot to mention it in yesterday's update but the Bicycle Crossing male was seen last night moving south in front of Rattray's Camp. Many elephants were viewed today as well as excellent general game sightings and 2 flocks of Ground Hornbills. #malamalagamereserve #itsallaboutthewildlife
I saw that on their Facebook Page so just post the URL to their Facebook Page. Since this is a current feed, it will be at the top if their feeds so no one has to go searching for it!
1 user Likes HouseOfLions's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat
( This post was last modified: 07-06-2017, 11:45 AM by sik94 )

(07-06-2017, 11:10 AM)Chris M. Wrote: It seems the healthy, fuller-maned Matshapiri male is still alive after the battle and doing well. He had some fresh battle scars but nothing too serious. I post the info I saw on the bottom. They were just copy and paste info so I don't know the original link; maybe some of you guys know where the original URL is. If anyone knows the link please share with us.

There is no original link, MalaMala reports their sightings daily on their facebook page. The fuller-maned Matshipiri male is hanging in there but he definitely needs his brother to hold this territory, if the mohawk-maned Matshipiri male doesn't recover he should jump ship and come back with a new partner.
1 user Likes sik94's post

United States Fredymrt Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-06-2017, 04:19 PM by Fredymrt )

*This image is copyright of its original author

Sadly we have just received the news that the inured Matshipiri male has died. Unable to hunt or move far owing to a broken leg, he would have slowly wasted away. His carcass was discovered on Mala Mala.
With only the single Matshipiri now left, but seemingly on the run from the Avoca males, what will happen to the tiny cubs that at least two of the Ntsevu lionesses are believed to be denning...
More updates coming soon...
Photograph by @jamotyrrell

R.i.P boy
4 users Like Fredymrt's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

Poor boy.. Injured Matsha is died..

On side note.. Fuller Mane Matsha is back with some fresh superficial wounds.. possibly after fight with Majis

He's back! The fuller-maned Matshipiri male was seen in the Sand River west of Elephant Rock. He's sporting some fresh battle scars but nothing too serious. 

Credits: Mala Mala
2 users Like vinodkumarn's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(07-06-2017, 02:57 PM)Fredymrt Wrote: FROM: londolozi

Sadly we have just received the news that the inured Matshipiri male has died. Unable to hunt or move far owing to a broken leg, he would have slowly wasted away. His carcass was discovered on Mala Mala.
With only the single Matshipiri now left, but seemingly on the run from the Avoca males, what will happen to the tiny cubs that at least two of the Ntsevu lionesses are believed to be denning...
More updates coming soon...
Photograph by @jamotyrrell

R.i.P boy

What a sad end to the story of these two. The remaining Matshipiri needs to abandon his prides and comeback later with a new partner because being a lone dominant male in Sabi Sands is a death-wish.
1 user Likes sik94's post

United States IñigoMontoya Offline

Is very sad, but I am waiting this notice. With a broken leg survival is imposible in wild nature.

R.I.P. 

The Avoca are very young yet, if the alone matshapiri will form a coalition with them it would be a perfect solution.... I doubt that this will be happen but....... Hope is the last thing you lose.

Good Luck Alone Matshipiri. (I dont know if Someone put him name). I call him LONELY.
1 user Likes IñigoMontoya's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

MALAMALA TODAY: July 6th. The king is dead, long live the king. The Matshipiri male with the mohawk has finally succumbed to his injuries. His carcass was found just south of Campbell Koppies with hyenas feeding on it. This officially brings to an end the short-lived reign of this coalition and as the saying goes: you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

8 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Chris Offline

Well it's over if the matshiphri males stayed together at all time last like the majingilanes it would have been a different story but now the healthier matshiphri male although in his prime and very big and strong but it's 2 vs 1. Now, MATIMBAS COME BACK YOU FINALLY HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY.
1 user Likes Chris's post

Michael Offline

(07-07-2017, 02:41 AM)Chris Wrote: Well it's over if the matshiphri males stayed together at all time last like the majingilanes it would have been a different story but now the healthier matshiphri male although in his prime and very big and strong but it's 2 vs 1. Now, MATIMBAS COME BACK YOU FINALLY HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY.

It had nothing to do with being separated , the mohawk Matshapiri male had a broken leg he was already injured when the Avocas arrived and would most likely still die even if the Avocas didn´t show up.

Your post makes it sound like the Avocas killed the mohawk matshapiri because they weren´t together which couldn´t be further away from the truth.
1 user Likes Michael's post

United States jacksonsmash Offline

MATIMBAS ARE FAR AWAY- I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THEY WILL EVER BE A FACTOR IN THE LION DYNAMICS OF SABI SAND AGAIN

HOW QUICKLY THINGS CHANGE- 10 WEEKS AGO THE MATSHIPIRIS HAD EVERYTHING GOING FOR THEM- NOW THEY ARE IN DANGER OF ALL TRACES  BEING WIPED OUT.  ANOTHER SPARTA OFFSPRING DIED- THEIR LITTLE CUBS WITH THE NTSEVU WILL PROBABLY NOT MAKE IT-                                                                                                        
IM ACTUALLY SAD ABOUT THIS   WHAT A SHAME
1 user Likes jacksonsmash's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Sadly we have just received the news that the injured Matshipiri male has died. Unable to hunt or move far owing to a broken leg, he would have slowly wasted away. His carcass was discovered on Mala Mala.

With only the single Matshipiri now left, but seemingly on the run from the Avoca males, what will happen to the tiny cubs that at least two of the Ntsevu/Kambula lionesses are believed to be denying....R.I.P

Matshipiri male lions died 2017
5 users Like sanjay's post

United States Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

7 users Like Spalea's post

United States WLion Offline

Rest In Peace Boss.
1 user Likes WLion's post