There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 10 Vote(s) - 2.3 Average
The Matimba coalition

Austria Lionpower Offline

(01-30-2017, 11:34 AM)vinodkumarn Wrote: Seen on safari this weekend:
We enjoyed numerous sightings of the Matimba males as they began to move more south west and later right in the heart of the Charleston male’s territory. The males have since moved off our property and fortunately did not come into contact with the Charleston males.
This impala seemed to have infinite patience as it let a very nosy Oxpecker go about its business on his face.
These Village Weavers are amazing builders and this one was visibly perturbed when he dropped a piece of grass he had been using to add on to his home.
The Charleston males moved towards an open area where they found two of the Southern Pride females. When they spotted the females, the males made a run towards them but stopped mid-way to have a little scrap with one another.
A Southern White-Faced owl was found perched high up on a dead tree scanning the surrounding area for a quick and silent bite to eat.

Credits: Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve

*This image is copyright of its original author

Harsh times ahead for the Matimba Males. Now they seem to have lost the Mangheni Breakaway Pride to the Matshapiri Males and were pushed into Charleston Males territory. Especially on the last photo one of the Matimba Male (Hairy Belly) looks like a tired warrior. I hope they stay together all the time. I don't like to see them being pushed around...they used to be such powerful males.
2 users Like Lionpower's post

South Africa HouseOfLions Offline

(01-30-2017, 11:56 PM)Lionpower Wrote:
We enjoyed numerous sightings of the Matimba males as they began to move more south west and later right in the heart of the Charleston male’s territory. The males have since moved off our property and fortunately did not come into contact with the Charleston males.
This impala seemed to have infinite patience as it let a very nosy Oxpecker go about its business on his face.
These Village Weavers are amazing builders and this one was visibly perturbed when he dropped a piece of grass he had been using to add on to his home.
The Charleston males moved towards an open area where they found two of the Southern Pride females. When they spotted the females, the males made a run towards them but stopped mid-way to have a little scrap with one another.
A Southern White-Faced owl was found perched high up on a dead tree scanning the surrounding area for a quick and silent bite to eat.

Harsh times ahead for the Matimba Males. Now they seem to have lost the Mangheni Breakaway Pride to the Matshapiri Males and were pushed into Charleston Males territory. Especially on the last photo one of the Matimba Male (Hairy Belly) looks like a tired warrior. I hope they stay together all the time. I don't like to see them being pushed around...they used to be such powerful males.

Friend, age does that to everyone. Especially since they are only 2, they don't have the strength (or numbers) anymore to take on 2 young (in their prime) lions, who are about the same size as them. I really love these southern marimbas, they were amazing in their prime but now, age has caught up with them. I really hope nothing happens to them but I am sure, these old kings will want to go out like kings.
3 users Like HouseOfLions's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

(01-31-2017, 01:36 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote:
(01-30-2017, 11:56 PM)Lionpower Wrote:

Friend, age does that to everyone. Especially since they are only 2, they don't have the strength (or numbers) anymore to take on 2 young (in their prime) lions, who are about the same size as them. I really love these southern marimbas, they were amazing in their prime but now, age has caught up with them. I really hope nothing happens to them but I am sure, these old kings will want to go out like kings.

I dont know why Matimbas are ventured into further south.. 
They have Tsalala pride apart of breakaway pride...
1 user Likes vinodkumarn's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-31-2017, 05:16 AM by Tshokwane )

(01-31-2017, 02:21 AM)vinodkumarn Wrote: I dont know why Matimbas are ventured into further south.. 

Because they can't handle the Matshapiri males.

The Matimbas tried to get through it without a direct conflict, with the intermitent chasings and all that, and it didn't work.

And it's clear they weren't fit enough for a fight, not just from the 2 vs 2 fight point of view, but also from the strategic side, they were caught alone, injured and chased off.

The Matshapiri males are tougher, in my opinion (and it's just my opinion). They weren't deterred by the Matimbas size, and with that the older males lost a big advantage.

Remember that, aside from a subadult from the Fourways pride, and the young(barely adult) Styx males, the Matimbas never really faced a direct oposition for their territory.
4 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

(01-31-2017, 05:09 AM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(01-31-2017, 02:21 AM)vinodkumarn Wrote: I dont know why Matimbas are ventured into further south.. 

Because they can't handle the Matshapiri males.

The Matimbas tried to get through it without a direct conflict, with the intermitent chasings and all that, and it didn't work.

And it's clear they weren't fit enough for a fight, not just from the 2 vs 2 fight point of view, but also from the strategic side, they were caught alone, injured and chased off.

The Matshapiri males are tougher, in my opinion (and it's just my opinion). They weren't deterred by the Matimbas size, and with that the older males lost a big advantage.

Remember that, aside from a subadult from the Fourways pride, and the young(barely adult) Styx males, the Matimbas never really faced a direct oposition for their territory.

From the Injury I think HB was caught alone by The Matshapiris
Now Matshapiris control sparta pride, Breakaway pride and Four ways.. just 2 males
1 user Likes vinodkumarn's post

Romania bdg79 Offline

Others have said that HB got that injury from a buffalo horn, let's not forget that, at first, they chased the Matshpiris well into their teritory.
1 user Likes bdg79's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(01-31-2017, 09:41 AM)bdg79 Wrote: let's not forget that, at first, they chased the Matshpiris well into their teritory.

Both coalitions chased each other, stopping when they realized they weren't in their land anymore. It's the classic game played when you want to avoid a fight, for both sides.

You make a show of force, roar a lot to tell them off and enforce the boundary lines.

It's clear this wasn't enough and the Matshapiri made their move, and it wasn't countered by the Matimbas, unless they try for a comeback now.

But they're going to have to use force, and I'm not sure they want to.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Romania bdg79 Offline

(01-31-2017, 05:22 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: It's clear this wasn't enough and the Matshapiri made their move, and it wasn't countered by the Matimbas, unless they try for a comeback now.

But they're going to have to use force, and I'm not sure they want to.
We have to wait and see what happens, anyway if HB was cought alone by the Matshapiri males, and survived, that proves that he is still a strong male.
2 users Like bdg79's post

Austria Lionpower Offline

The Matshapiri Males caught Hairy Belly off guard when he was alone. And the two Matimba Males were separated for a few days. Maybe they wanna take a break until HB's wound heels up. I think they have the power to fight off 2 other male lions, but I'm not sure if they're willing to. 
What about the 2 Northern Matimbas. Did they just disappear or is it confirmed that they are dead?
1 user Likes Lionpower's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

From Umkumbe Safari Lodge:
"A number of our avid lion fans have asked after the Matimba male lions and their whereabouts. We chatted to ranger Mauritz who said, "The Matimbas haven't been seen over the weekend or this week, but they are still in the area. They were spotted on Sabi Sabi this morning after disappearing for a few days". 
We hope that answers all of your questions. Hopefully we'll see this coalition sometime soon. In the meantime, here is another pic of the ginger male seen during the course of last week."

6 users Like Ngala's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

From Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve:
"After a day of lazing on the open plains and as the sun was setting, we drew another spectacular day on the reserve to an end with the Matimba males moving through the property. Deep within the boundary of the Charleston males, the Matimba's seemed very relaxed and carried on wandering as if no threat was at hand."

5 users Like Ngala's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Time for the Charlestons to make a move now. 

With a bit of luck, we could have a nice war between the two coalitions.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

South Africa Sideliner Offline

This looks like a stale mate to me unless one of the coalitions makes the mistake of splitting up and end up being caught alone. If i was in their shoes i would team up and make a proper force to be reckoned with - which will of course not happen here. They will hang around till one makes a mistake or a proper coalition of 4 or more comes along.
1 user Likes Sideliner's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Perhaps the Matimbas are retreating into their territory?

From Umkumbe:
"UPDATE : Matimba male lions seen last night ! Ranger Mauritz Senekal sent through this video clip, taken during last night's game drive. The lions appeared to be moving in a northerly direction. For all those who've asked, both the Hairy Belly and Ginger Mane Matimba are together and in good health. The Ginger Mane still has an open paw and Hairy Belly has an open wound on his back. Their wounds don't appear to be anything other than superficial."

5 users Like Ngala's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Nkorho Bush Lodge.

Sightings Update:

6 February 2017
Afternoon Drive.

-Saw two of the Matimba males, they were moving North on the way western side of our traverse, lost visual of them as they went into the bushes.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post