There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Jungle Book Official US Teaser Trailer - april 2016

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

Have not yet seen the movie, but I do have a copy of 'Disney Jungle Book Official Collector's Edition' filled with info about the movie and the making of. Ten-year-old Mowgli stands 136.7 cm or 4 feet 6 inches tall. King Louie ( supposedly a Gigantopithecus ) is actually more like orangu-kong in appearance and size. Seated, King Louie measures 360.2 cm or 11 feet 10 inches tall and standing upright he measures 623.7 cm or 25 feet tall; every inch the size of King Kong. 
1 user Likes brotherbear's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I'm off to see the movie now... I'll let you guys know what I thought of it.
4 users Like Pckts's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(04-17-2016, 09:29 PM)brotherbear Wrote: Have not yet seen the movie, but I do have a copy of 'Disney Jungle Book Official Collector's Edition' filled with info about the movie and the making of. Ten-year-old Mowgli stands 136.7 cm or 4 feet 6 inches tall. King Louie ( supposedly a Gigantopithecus ) is actually more like orangu-kong in appearance and size. Seated, King Louie measures 360.2 cm or 11 feet 10 inches tall and standing upright he measures 623.7 cm or 25 feet tall; every inch the size of King Kong. 

Exactly, although Gigantopithecus belonged to the same sub-family with the Orangutan, but they actually had a higher convergent evolution with the gorilla who belongs to the same subfamily with the human.

It is not reasonable to believe that the Gigantopithecus was actually a larger carbon copy of the Orangutan even they belong to the different genera.
2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I enjoyed the movie, I thought Shere Khan and King Louie were great.
Baloo was odd but loveable, I would of wished for them to make him actually look like a sloth bear instead of a mixture between multiple bears, but oh well.

All and all I enjoyed it and the CGI was great.
8/10
3 users Like Pckts's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

I would agree that a sloth bear would be more realistic, being in the jungles of India. However, most book covers and movie versions portray Baloo as a brown bear. Likely because the brown bear is both more impressive and at the same time more "lovable" ( Teddy bear-like ). Baloo in this 2016 movie is a brown bear. 

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like brotherbear's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-19-2016, 04:28 AM by Pckts )

I would agree bro bear but they do specifically mention the fact that he is a "sloth bear" in the movie and "bears in the jungle don't hibernate. "
Its actually a funny scene when the leopard (forgot his name) sarcastically says something a long the lines of "a sloth bear working?!"

The movie is actually pretty good about naming some of the animals...
Mowgli talks about Nigali and bucks as well as king louis saying he is a Gigantopithecus
3 users Like Pckts's post

Shardul Offline

(04-19-2016, 04:26 AM)Pckts Wrote: I would agree bro bear but they do specifically mention the fact that he is a "sloth bear" in the movie and "bears in the jungle don't hibernate. "
Its actually a funny scene when the leopard (forgot his name) sarcastically says something a long the lines of "a sloth bear working?!"

The movie is actually pretty good about naming some of the animals...
Mowgli talks about Nigali and bucks as well as king louis saying he is a Gigantopithecus

Bagheera, how could you forget the panther's name?

I guess Tabaki is not in this version either.
3 users Like Shardul's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Aghhh yes, Bagheera.
No tabaki either, you're correct.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

A Jungle Book poster: 

4 users Like brotherbear's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

I think the orangutan in this is a giantopithecus (hope I spelled that right)
1 user Likes Sully's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

@svtigris
That is correct, he even says it numerous times in his song.

Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-21-2016, 08:51 PM by brotherbear )

https://www.facebook.com/TheJungleBookOfficial/ 

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-21-2016, 09:33 PM by Pckts )

That's not the jungle book (movie) official page nor is baloo a brown bear in this version of the movie. I suggest you go watch it and see for your self.

Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-21-2016, 11:05 PM by brotherbear )

That's not the jungle book (movie) official page nor is baloo a brown bear in this version of the movie. I suggest you go watch it and see for your self. 

I plan to. My life at this time does not leave me free to leave home at a moment's whim. The site I found was ( supposedly ) the official Jungle Book's page for the novel; not the movie. The 2016 movie is based not on the works of Rudyard Kipling but of Walt Disney. Anyway, I agree that a sloth bear is more likely but... have you ever seen a sloth bear or a picture there-of?  

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-21-2016, 10:58 PM)brotherbear Wrote: That's not the jungle book (movie) official page nor is baloo a brown bear in this version of the movie. I suggest you go watch it and see for your self. 

I plan to. My life at this time does not leave me free to leave home at a moment's whim. The site I found was ( supposedly ) the official Jungle Book's page for the novel; not the movie. The 2016 movie is based not on the works of Rudyard Kipling but of Walt Disney. Anyway, I agree that a sloth bear is more likely but... have you ever seen a sloth bear or a picture there-of?  

Of course not, but same can be said for the wolves, they are not indian.

"He is described in Kipling's work as "the sleepy brown bear". Robert Armitage Sterndale, from whom Kipling derived most of his knowledge of Indian fauna, used the Hindi word "Bhalu" for several bear species, though Daniel Karlin, who edited the Penguin reissue of The Jungle Book in 1989, states that, with the exception of colour, Kipling's descriptions of Baloo are consistent with the sloth bear, as brown bears and Asian black bears do not occur in the Seoni area where the novel takes place. Also, the name sloth can be used in the context of sleepiness. Karlin states, however, that Baloo's diet of "... only roots and nuts and honey" is a trait more common to the Asian black bear than to the sloth bear.[1] Nevertheless, this may be single observation only; we know from the dietary habits of sloth bears that while sloth bears mainly prefer termites and ants (which is also described as Baloo's special treat in The Jungle Book), their main sources of food are honey and fruits most of the year.

In the 2016 adaptation, Baloo is stated to be a sloth bear by Bagheera, though his appearance is similar to that of a Himalayan brown bear. Though this subspecies of the brown bear is absent from historical records on Seoni, it might have ranged across most of northern India.[2]"

Baloo in kiplings adaption is a stern teacher who routinely smacks mowgli, shere khan has a lame paw, bagheera is actually more feared than shere khan, kaa is mowglis companion etc.

But we are talking about Baloo from the most recent movie, correct? He is a sloth bear
1 user Likes Pckts's post