There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
The heaviest Liger ACTUALLY measured by Guinness (2014)

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(12-04-2014, 08:24 PM)'johnny rex' Wrote:
(12-03-2014, 12:50 AM)'Pckts' Wrote: Its just to hard to tell when a skull is covered with muscle mass and fur. But in terms of captive or wild skulls, there really seems to be no differnece in size, but liger skulls do measure longer and wider, at least the 3 you posted. If the # of specimens increased, I am sure the max size would most likely increase as well. But it matters not, there is no such thing as a Liger, in the wild.

Rephrasing Guate's statement. @Pckts

"I think that these three skulls are the same model, after all the three specimens almost match with them sizes. The problem is the use of inches, which like in “Bone Clones”, are only APPROXIMATED sizes, not the actual size which is better measured in millimeters or centimeters.

Even taking the largest size, the top figure of 432 cm is just like the largest lion skull, so it is not enormously large. The figure is important and suggests, again, that the “large” size of the liger is more on the body weight than in the body size itself. Sadly, as we don’t know the actual size of the previous owner, we can’t compare it with other lion-tiger specimens."

Remember, you are comparing every single lion skull ever measured (1,000s) to one of 3 liger skulls. If you avg'd the liger skulls used by gaute (assuming they are different) it would be 16.5"est for ligers compared to probably the 14'' range for lions.

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Thailand Selachimorpha11 Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-06-2016, 05:34 PM by Selachimorpha11 )

Is this 850lbs Baikal, the same Baikal that was killed In the Assiniboine Zoo? 
http://globalnews.ca/news/1583033/tiger-killed-in-fight-with-another-tiger-at-assiniboine-park-zoo/
1 user Likes Selachimorpha11's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@Selachimorpha11 , I think they both are different tiger
2 users Like sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I think they are the same tiger, but he was much older when he was killed by the 2 younger tigers.
But we don't know for sure.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Heres all the info on him....

*This image is copyright of its original author

this was a young Baikal around age 12 when he was weighed

this was him later in life

He was much older when his death came at the hands of the two young males and he definitely could of lost a significant amount of weight in such a long time period. Old age gets the best of everyone...
2 users Like Pckts's post

Sanju Offline

Living Godzilla.

CLICK TO PLAY
3 users Like Sanju's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

(05-02-2019, 11:27 PM)Sanju Wrote: Living Godzilla.

CLICK TO PLAY

That cat is HUGE. Thanks for sharing
2 users Like chaos's post

Malaysia johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-03-2019, 08:30 PM by johnny rex )

(05-02-2019, 11:27 PM)Sanju Wrote: Living Godzilla.

CLICK TO PLAY

I've seen the video on Bhagavan Antle's son's Instagram. That liger is pretty big.
2 users Like johnny rex's post

Wildanimal Enthusiast

(01-06-2016, 11:36 PM)Pckts Wrote: Heres all the info on him....

He was much older when his death came at the hands of the two young males and he definitely could of lost a significant amount of weight in such a long time period. Old age gets the best of everyone...

Is this Baikal the same tiger that got killed by young male tigers in a zoo in Winnipeg, Canada? Some people said they are different tigers but with the same name.
1 user Likes johnny rex's post

Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-15-2019, 09:24 AM by johnny rex )

Apollo the nearly 6 years old white male liger (because his parents were a white (Kruger) lion and a white tigress) weighing at 319 kg/705 lbs.
3 users Like johnny rex's post

Turkey Arctotherium Offline

(04-22-2014, 05:16 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: Thanks for your replies guys.

In fact, I don't know if Jaipur was or not neutered, there is no information about this and the picture don't give us a clue. However, what we can see is that both cats are extremally fat, so I guess that the best explanation of the weight of Jaipur is no other thing that obesity.

About the wild tigers, of course that there are not tigers of that size in the woods, that will be imposible, nor even the giant Ngandong tiger (Panthera tigris soloensis) or the American "lion" (Panthera atrox) reached that huge body mass. If we use Bengal tigers as surrogates for the Amur ones, a healty average male in a proper habitat with good prey base, would weight 200-220 kg, with dominant males reaching 230-250 kg in the best cases. Animals of 280-320 kg are just very exceptional cases and only the most powerfull animals could reach this sizes.

Jaipur is obeze or something.In nature,Siberian Tiger's average weight is 160-190 kg(By Siberia Research Group.I can't remember)
220 kg is historical Siberian Tiger

Turkey Arctotherium Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2019, 12:01 PM by Arctotherium )

Obese tiger 

Maybe a photoshop

Wildanimal Enthusiast

(06-14-2019, 12:00 PM)Arctotherium Wrote: Obese tiger 

Maybe a photoshop

If you look at Hercules the liger, despite some people called him a non-obese liger, Hercules is actually an obese liger. We can see his hanging fats around his body.
1 user Likes johnny rex's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-18-2019, 02:46 AM by Shadow )

This case Baikal is again one quite interesting. I mean 850 lbs tiger, which wouldn´t be obese... and only places to find information are some discussion forums. Nothing can be found otherwise, zoo´s connected to it mention nothing about such sensational tiger, maybe biggest ever if that weight would be real. I mean really???

I just wrote to Assiniboine Park Zoo and reply was, that tiger named Baikal averaged between 190-200 kg, person who replied to me knew nothing about claimed weight 850 lbs. I guess, that old tiger can shrink, but from 385 kg to under 200 kg. I really am not able to buy that. I asked again just to be sure, but something seems to be wrong in this case. And really such sensational tiger and only one photo about it could be found from internet. 

Interesting to see if some new information can be still found. Is that Matt John someone from this forum or? I mean how sure it is, that email is real?

Edit: Also look at head of those tigers in photos, looks like different tiger in summer photo compared to winter photo. Pattern on head is different and also otherwise I don´t see too much similarities.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-18-2019, 02:12 AM)Shadow Wrote:

This case Baikal is again one quite interesting. I mean 850 lbs tiger, which wouldn´t be obese... and only places to find information are some discussion forums. Nothing can be found otherwise, zoo´s connected to it mention nothing about such sensational tiger, maybe biggest ever if that weight would be real. I mean really???

I just wrote to Assiniboine Park Zoo and reply was, that tiger named Baikal averaged between 190-200 kg, person who replied to me knew nothing about claimed weight 850 lbs. I guess, that old tiger can shrink, but from 385 kg to under 200 kg. I really am not able to buy that. I asked again just to be sure, but something seems to be wrong in this case. And really such sensational tiger and only one photo about it could be found from internet. 

Interesting to see if some new information can be still found. Is that Matt John someone from this forum or? I mean how sure it is, that email is real?

Edit: Also look at head of those tigers in photos, looks like different tiger in summer photo compared to winter photo. Pattern on head is different and also otherwise I don´t see too much similarities.
It's a big cluster "F" no one knows the exact reason why Baikal's weight isn't confirmed by that zoo or if it's even the same Tiger or if the weight is even valid.

In regards to a Tiger being 850lbs in captivity and not being obese, I agree, it's extremely unlikely.

Here are some 600lber confirmed Amurs for comparison
This was from an old poster who worked with them named Eagleraptor

"T
The next two is of a Siberian tiger who weighs 611 lbs (he was weighed).

The zoo keeper in both photos is 5-10."

"The next one is the first Siberian i looked after.

The people behind are on about 6 inch higher ground than the tiger."

The next two are of a Siberian i sometimes visit, he weighs 602 lbs (been weighed)

As you can see, these boys are large at 600+lbs but they still have a bit of fat so I really have a hard time imaging any cat over that size in captivity not having some fat on them. 
I'm not sure what people consider obese, I'd say these boys aren't obese, just a bit overweight.

Here's just how rare he said a 600lber actually is 
"Ive so far been to see in zoos 16 male Siberian`s, but only 3 of them was around 600 lbs,

and most of the others was between 400-500 lbs."

He did say that he thought this male, whoever he is could be 800lbs though

"Mostly i agree with you that most 800 lb cats are usually fat, but i would not say they are all fat.
This Amur tiger is not what i would call fat, but he apparently weighs around 800 lb, however, i'm not certain how credible the info is regarding his weight.
The reason i think this Amur (in first photo) might be 800 lb is because.....the second photo is a Amur that i often visited, and he was weighed at 611 lb by his keeper that i used to work with at another zoo (he is very reliable) he is also in the second photo and he is 5-10 tall.
If we consider the second photo shows an Amur over 600 lb, and by comparing him to the first photo....i would say the first Amur might be 800 lb as the info said."