There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Great Apes

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

The Aspinall Foundation:
Check out this stunning photo of Makoua in Congo. We have a lovely update on this group coming soon... 
Western lowland Silverback.

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Time for some documentaries. Most of the ones I've seen are very well done, so I think you'll enjoy them.

This one is the newest one, or at least is the newest I've watched. Gordon Buchanan went to the Kahuxi-Biega National Park to visit Grauer Gorillas, also knwon as Eastern Lowland Gorillas. There he meets with probably the best known Grauer Silverback, a huge male called Chimanuka. Also, he spends time with one of Chimanuka's rivals, his brother Mugaruka.

Chimanuka

Please enjoy, I certainly did.

In the second episode, he returns to the forest and reunites with Chimanuka's group. Also, he visits another rival of Chimanuka, a maler and his group that are less habituated to visitors.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-18-2016, 11:02 PM by Tshokwane )

Another documentary now, and just as amazing as the new ones, despite of being from the seventies. 

This documentary is mentioned in the one I put in the previous post, and it features a Silverback called Casimir, or Kalele, a Grauer Gorilla from Kahuzi-Biega. 

You can see the differences in behaviour between the calm, accostumed to people Chimanuka and the nervous, agressive Casimir. 

You will also see the amazing display of power and agression of a gorilla, possibly one of the most intimidating displays in the wild, at least it is for me. Enjoy.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@ 14:00
"don't mind me, I'm just going to effortlessly pull down this tree"
2 users Like Pckts's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-23-2016, 05:46 PM by Tshokwane )

I just found this video, and I think it's great to show a part of the gorilla behaviour.

Notice how, without doing or saying much, he is able to get the responce he wants from the turists. 

Of course, people that study them already know the cues on the Silverback behaviour so they tell people to stay low, to not look him directly in the eyes, stay still, not to ruin away.

But anyway, I'm always amazed by their ability to command instant respect and submission, just with showing up.

And, for one final thought, look at his freaking size and compare him to the mere humans around him...

Awesome video.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Ian Redmond:
Chimanuka the silverback leads his group into an open glade to feed on the lush vegetation after a rainstorm. This is in Kahuzi-Biega National Park in the Democratic Republic of Congo. It is unedited footage, so if you can excuse the dodgy camerawork, you get a sense of how events unfolded and see how I moved to keep up and get the best view through the foliage whilst attempting to maintain the 7m distance (a rule designed to minimise risk of disease transmission; this also accounts for the surgical masks being worn). Towards the end, note the sub-adult male called Mukono (Swahili for 'hand') who lost his left hand in a poacher's snare - he copes well with this disability and it is interesting to see how the rest of the group accept him as he is.

2 users Like Tshokwane's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding
( This post was last modified: 04-20-2016, 01:04 AM by Sully )

A male Orangutan in Danum Valley, Borneo
4 users Like Sully's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Captive Gorilla Fight
https://www.facebook.com/KilluminatiK/vi...237782427/
3 users Like Pckts's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Photo and information credits: David Lloyd Wildlife Photography
"Here's one from way back in 2008 in Rwanda. It was taken with a Nikon D300 which was a very good camera then (and still is). This was the last picture of the hour we spent with them. Just after this picture, he came forward and had I not taken evasive action (i.e. got out of the way) I'm sure he would have just brushed me aside."

5 users Like Ngala's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Probably not the best idea to beat your chest towards a silver back.

Must Watch!
http://www.break.com/video/silverback-an...nt-3018076
2 users Like Pckts's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Quote:Probably not the best idea to beat your chest towards a silver back.
From the girl he could have probably forgiven it.

But if a man does it?

Then no, it's the one thing you should never ever do, along with looking him straight to the eyes. They take that as a direct challenge.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(05-06-2016, 12:42 AM)Pckts Wrote: Probably not the best idea to beat your chest towards a silver back.

Must Watch!
http://www.break.com/video/silverback-an...nt-3018076

Holy crap, he has nearly destroyed the bulletproof glass by ramming into it.
3 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(05-06-2016, 04:15 AM)Majingilane Wrote:
Quote:Probably not the best idea to beat your chest towards a silver back.
From the girl he could have probably forgiven it.

But if a man does it?

Then no, it's the one thing you should never ever do, along with looking him straight to the eyes. They take that as a direct challenge.

The full charge of the large male big cats and the bears could definitely burst the bulletproof glass as well.

Even some adult visitors didn't find out that their reckless behavior will later become regrettable.
3 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Footage from maybe a year ago. Very interesting behaviour, first time I see it.

From Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge:
Slow motion video of extraordinary gorilla behavior in the Sabyinyo group. Our guide explained that it is a show of dominance by the two younger silverbacks to remind the eldest and oldest known silverback that he is no longer in charge of that family or the females. Guhonda remains peacefully with family even though he is no longer the dominant silverback.
Click on it to play.

3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Another amazing documentary, showing some of the old timers, gorillas that Dian Fossey knew back in the seventies, and some of which, like the Silverback Titus, became legends of the gorilla world, ruling their groups for decades and siring lots of offsprings.

Credits to Alan Goodall.