There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Good and Bad about WildFact - Need your suggestions

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 06-25-2015, 08:55 AM by sanjay )

Dear Members,
We are trying to change the text on home page of the forum. First of all we are planning to change the top punch line (just beside the top logo).

Below are the 2 paragraph that we have chosen so far.

'This forum is about the natural world. It offers a voice to wild creatures in general and big predators in particular. Here, they will speak and they will be heard. It is a glimpse into an unknown world, but also a room with a view on the present and the future. As the forum is about (the plight of) those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea, the ones who know about them are invited to join and share their experience'.

'There is a world lying somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are the ones living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild creatures will speak and here they will be heard and respected. The forum is a glimpse into an unknown world and a room with a view on the present and the future. Although quality information will be at the core, good stories, if true, will be appreciated as well. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join'.

Thanks to peter for this. But we are still open to some other great punch line Or you can just choose between these 2 and tell us which one is better. Also I request to those who can correct and rectify it with more proper way by adjusting the wording.
We are also open for suggestion to improve other part of forum. Your suggestion and Input will help us to grow wildfact forum as best forum related to wildlife

1 user Likes sanjay's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Im not sure if the work is to much but I think it would be cool that depending on the page you were looking at

I:E B2 and other indian tigers- The back round would be indian landscape

Lion Predation- Backround is african landscape

etc.

Ill take a look at the punch lines when Im at work and see if I can contribute anything.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Austria Brehm Offline

A dynamic header with let's say 3-5 theme's would also look nice, if after every (or every few) click's the header would change.
Same about the sideline background.

About the paragraphs:

I find the second one more appetizing, like the description of an thrilling book.
Only this sentence "Here, wild creatures will speak and here they will be heard and respected." is probably a bit too much fictional, something like "here, wild creatures will be introduced and here they will be respected..." sounds more realistic.
On the other hand, it has some  originality, perhaps it shouldn't be changed.

3 users Like Brehm's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Thank you pckts and @"Brehmji".  @peter tagging you here

Suggestion of Brehmji is excellent. We will see if I can implement this also I need 3-5 punch line
2 users Like sanjay's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

I think I will implement Brehmji advice. All I need from all of you is 4-5 Punch line for top
One of them is from peter
'There is a world lying somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are the ones living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild creatures will speak and here they will be heard and respected. The forum is a glimpse into an unknown world and a room with a view on the present and the future. Although quality information will be at the core, good stories, if true, will be appreciated as well. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join'.

I need 3-4 more such good lines

Thanks in advance.

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

(06-26-2015, 10:40 PM)'sanjay' Wrote: I think I will implement Brehmji advice. All I need from all of you is 4-5 Punch line for top
One of them is from peter

I need 3-4 more such good lines.

Hi Sanjay.

I asked for a bit of advice and got it. As I agree with what I read, I decided to change the text. Here's the new one:

'There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join' 

Austria Brehm Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-30-2015, 05:28 AM by Brehm )

To be honest, i meant something else, but what you think i did advice is also a good idea Grin

With dynamic header i meant more the graphic beneath the text line, comparable to Pckts idea.

After reading it again, something else came into my mind:

What about some species related texts, especially big cats and bears? They are the most debated at this forum, why not giving tigers, lions, jaguars, leopards etc. a own text?
Together with a dynamic background graphic (the picture on top and the sideline pictures) depending on subforum, it would make a great impression.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Peter, I will change the text accordiangly.
Bhremji thanks for the advice. But changing the background and header image depending on subforum or thread basis is not possible for now. It needs lot of time in tweaking to current website.
Though current header punch line can be changed into text slide but for that I will need 3-5 such great punch line.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Corrected the headline

Austria Brehm Offline

What about using text passage's from the "edge of extinction" threads as punch lines?

One example from post number 461 written by Peter:

The ultimate hunter

Cats are perhaps the ultimate terrestrial hunters. They will make a living anywhere given half a chance. The reason is design and the attitude needed to use it to perfection. Most domestic cats would easily survive when they would be forced to do so. We most certainly would not. Animals don't need us to survive. There's no question we need them.

This, for example, is IMO eyecatching and leaves a message.
2 users Like Brehm's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Agree, But would like to hear some more feedback from others too. Let us wait for few more days.

Wanderfalke Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

the second one is my favorite ;-)

India Bronco Offline

Hello people, I have a suggestion.

Regarding the debate section, rule # 3 says no Vs debates,  I think  you guys are needlessly being strict here, I mean what's wrong in having a good healthy debate on Animal vs Animal or a Lion vs a Tiger or a Raptor vs 10 African wild dogs? It is human nature to compare & imagine stuff.

I think a public forum like this should provide a platform for everyone as long as there are animals involved & not cars & bikes lol.

Of course,  there are other places for such discussions, but why not here? There are some good knowledgeable members here & it would be nice to have their opinion. I feel you guys should rethink about this whole Animal vs Animal thing.

If any feud starts the moderators are always there to take care of things. 

Thank you.

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-12-2016, 02:00 PM by peter )

Billy the Kid wasn't banned because he was carrying guns. He was banned because he ignored the sheriff. Billy's always do.

In theory, your proposal should be ok. The problem is those interested in versus debates always leave a mess after a round and we don't want to do the cleaning up time and again. Bad for your health. 

All forums with versus debates either perished or got crippled.

Over here, we like data, knowledge, good posters and good debates, not wrist circumferences in order to start the second round. 

Something else is there won't be a big cat left when we continue like this. We need to act and blasting away isn't going to do the job.

Will get back to you on that one. Need to talk first.
8 users Like peter's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-13-2016, 07:41 AM by peter )

BLACKLEOPARD

An official warning should precede a ban. As there was no warning, a ban wouldn't be justified. Instead, you get an official warning. The reason is you ignored forum rules. It also is a fact you disrespected members and mods. Finally, you derailed two threads and ignored a warning issued by the co-owner.

In spite of all that, you can continue posting. Remember one more breach is out. 

As to interacting. When you join a public forum, you have to accept the rules of engagement (forum rules). When interaction results in a problem, mods have the last word. If you think these conditions are unfair, stay away from forums.  

As to your pm. It's telling you didn't respond to the content of my pm. Instead, you just continued in the way you did. I could say preference is the reason, but it's closer to an outright obsession. The disadvantage of obsessions is they burn everything in their way. Not seldom, they end in total blindness. The result is you lose the capacity to interact in a meaningful way. Another result is people interested in interaction step aside. In the end, there only is splendid isolation.

The main problem with versus debates is they often attract posters directed by obsessions. Usually, there are two groups. One group embraces animal a and the other animal b. Right from the start, they go for it. After every round, mods have to clean up the mess. After a few rounds only, the climate to get to good interaction is gone. You only see smoke, clouds of dust and total devastation. Most members and readers know exactly what I mean, as they witnessed it first hand time and again. 

When we started this forum, we decided against versus debates for the reason described. Although Bronco, who thinks a good debate about an issue interesting for many should be possible, has a point, experience told us it has theoretical value only. For this reason, there will be no versus debate section in this forum. 

I wouldn't mind you reviving the animal trainers thread with Bronco, but my advice is to get hold of the obsession first. Remember there's no such thing as species-related treats in an all-out fight. Anything is possible. Says those who know. Before you, who saw nothing, start proving them wrong, I want all guns.  

BRONCO

The answer to your proposal is yes, we would be interested and no, it won't happen. The reason is it would derail from the word go. There are other forums and most of them focus on versus debates. They always draw a crowd, but I would advice to buy a good tank if you want to participate. If you really like a versus debate, join a forum that offers them. 

WILDFACT

Is it possible to start a forum about the natural world without versus debates? WildFact says it can be done. It also says a forum can thrive if you focus on good information and take moderation seriously. Why is that? 

The world of today has become a place of opposites. Those participating often have have no other option but to adopt an all-or-nothing strategy if they want to earn a few bucks. As the media report about the winners and losers of yesterday, today and tomorrow every day, all day long all over the planet, the souls of many infected by this disease seek a way out. Some find a refuge in drug-related hallucinations of some kind, whereas others get involved in sports. Those interested in a bit more read books or follow a course, but many also visit the internet. Searching for something they know or something they would have wanted to know. They want to connect to something they know is there. Something that is ignored.  

For some, it could be the natural world. There are plenty of forums, but most offer the same dish as elsewhere: exitement, tension and, best of all, fear. Plenty of it. Could be a nice versus-debate. Lions, tigers and bears going for each other. Day after day.  

Although life and death struggles are not uncommon between predators and those they hunt, the natural world is a lot more than that. Those who walked the forests of old India and Wild Russia many years ago, when you could still walk for weeks without seeing a soul, all were in awe. They saw a parallel world of great beauty. Different from ours. More sophisticated and decidedly less dangerous, they thought. Many of them wrote about their experiences and reported about incidents considered impossible by many. But they happened and they were decribed. In detail. All in all, one could say there's a lot to learn from those who inhabit the emerald forest. If only we knew how to contact them.

The aim of WildFact is to show you a bit more about a hidden world. We want to offer those we only hear and read about but never see, a stage and a voice. They are there, they are very much alive and they talk all the time. The problem is we lost the ability to sense, hear and understand them. You need to be there and experience the natural world all the time to be able to do that. And when you managed to get to some kind of insight, chances are you end up in a lunatic asylum. Or the forest will be cut down, as we are displacing and hunting animals all the time.  

Although we decided to refrain from regurgitating reports filled with excitement and tension, we think we found a way to get a bit closer to the natural world. The condition is you need to be prepared to read posts based on old books. You also have to be prepared to take them seriously. After a while, a picture will emerge. It's difficult to describe, but you can sense it.

WildFact is about good information, refining the old senses and offering a room with a view about an unseen and unknown world. One day, after reading for some time and seeing the great pictures taken by people who happened to be at the right place, you will find yourself in that unknown, parallel world. You will smell the trees, flowers and animals, you can hear them talk and you will want to know more. They invite you to get a bit closer. 

Maybe this is what happened to some of those who left the West to work in the East many years ago. Many of them were well-trained people who, one day, decided to move out into the emerald forest, never to be seen again. Tropical madness had struck again, those who found their clothes, shoes and equipment later often concluded. But only very few of them were sure about what they had seen.
2 users Like peter's post