There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Caspian Tiger (Panthera tigris virgata)

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Another photo of a live virgata kept as a pet in uzbekistan. Not sure on the details or source.

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Lycaon's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 05-10-2019, 09:58 PM by Wolverine )

As a first step in reintroduction of Caspian tiger in Kazahstan recently in the Ili-Balhash reserve  have been reintroduced first 5 Bactrian deers - 2 males and 3 females in fenced volier where first they will be acclimatized and later introduced into wild. Bactrian deer ([i]Cervus elaphus bactrianus[/i])  got extinct from this area of Kazahstan in the beginning of 20th century. Before reintroduction of the tigers planned by 2023-2005 population of the local herbivores - wild boar and deer should reach sufficient quantities. So this is the first step. 

Article:
https://www.zakon.kz/4953486-v-rezervat-...-pyat.html

Future tiger land, the landscape is swampy, with few trees, covered by tall and dense cone grasses, very different from tiger habitats in South Asia and Russian Far East. Probably tigers would be easily observed by flying baloons and helicopters.

5 users Like Wolverine's post

Indonesia phatio Offline
Tiger Expert

I think Caspian tiger is a very interesting subspecies because of so many question remains unanswered/open, such as are they really the same subspecies as amur tiger, their true size, their interaction with the persian lion, is there any remaining of them survive and hidden in the wild? basically you got these questions when youre dealing with extinct animal, just like javan/bali tiger, but thats what makes them interesting.

seem like the last wild caspian tiger was shot in Anatolia Turkey around 70's, correct me if i'm wrong.

i found its hard to believe that this animal is the same subspecies as the striped cat who walks on the korean's beach of the sea of Japan. There's so much distance between them, around 8.000+ km away.

makes me wonder how many caspian tiger the researchers used to compare their DNA to amur tiger, and from what area those specimen came from. how about tigers from the most western part of their range, just like this Anatolian tiger, is there any research regarding their DNA? please let me know

here's my collection of caspian photos, most of them i collected long ago so i don't remember the original sources anymore.
some suggest caspian are short faced tiger (buldog like) just like in this photos:

but this caspian tiger face look normal to me

kazakhthan tiger

unknown location

female caspian

tiger cub from iran

some skins photos
afghanistan

unknown location

skin comparison

6 users Like phatio's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Just a question does anyone here think that virgata sill exists out in parts of their range?
1 user Likes Lycaon's post

Canada Wolverine Away

For sure is as dead as mammoth. When I wrote "reintroduction of Caspian tiger" I mean reintroduction of Amur tigers in the former range of the Caspian tiger, didn't want to cause a turmoil...But for sure two population are so closely related that Kazah and Russian biologist decided to start settling Amurs in Central Asia.
1 user Likes Wolverine's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding
( This post was last modified: 05-13-2019, 07:48 AM by Sully )

A further insight into possible reintroduction here

Feasibility Study on the Possible Restoration of the Caspian Tiger in  Central Asia

https://wwf.ru/en/resources/publications...tral-asia/
1 user Likes Sully's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

A caspian hunted in iran along with persian leopard.

3 users Like Lycaon's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-18-2019, 11:31 PM by BorneanTiger )

Forward from (https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-europea...9#pid81909), and bearing in mind that North Caucasus is in European Russia ...
[quote pid='81909' dateline='1558198804']
... it is likely that the tiger didn't just inhabit or occur in Transcaucasia or South Caucasus (Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia), but also in Ciscaucasia: 

The tiger in this famous image from Berlin Zoo in 1999 was from the Caucasus: https://web.archive.org/web/200708240914...ger-13.htm 

Also, they mention an 11th-century Eastern European account from the book Poucheniya Detyam by Vladimir II Monomakh, Grand Prince of Kievan Rus', a state that is regarded as a cultural ancestor of the Ukraine, Belurus and Russia (not the 'Rus' in the latter 2 names). Map of Kievan Rus': https://02varvara.wordpress.com/2010/02/...h-century/ 

In this account, Monomakh, while he ruled Turov (in modern-day Belarus), and Chernigrov (in modern-day Ukraine), he was on a hunt when he was attacked by a lyuti zver (лютый зверь, Old Russian for "fierce animal"). The zver sprang towards his thighs, and hurt him and his horse. Traditionally, the zver was considered to be a wolf or lynx, but according to Heptner and Sludskii, neither would spring at a rider or injure a horse, so it was more likely to be a big cat, with some people thinking that it could have been a leopard, or that it was more likely to be a tiger than a lion. The occurrence of the lion at the southern Russian Steppes, or the area of the mouth of the Don River, is disputed by Heptner and Sludskiy, whereas according to them, tigers likely occurred in the Russian Steppes or at the estuary of the Don River: https://archive.org/stream/mammalsofsov2...lyuti+zver 

The manner of this attack reminds me of this famous video from India: 

Also, this statue of a tiger attacking a man is in the area of Mount Akhun near Sochi, which as I mentioned above is in North Caucasus: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:...untain.JPG

[/quote]
4 users Like BorneanTiger's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

A drawing of a virgata notice the long belly hair and pronounced scruff 

4 users Like Lycaon's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-24-2019, 05:12 PM by BorneanTiger )

(05-24-2019, 04:56 PM)Lycaon Wrote: A drawing of a virgata notice the long belly hair and pronounced scruff 

Do you have the source for this, also for that hunted tiger above, and that cub with the guy?

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@BorneanTiger 

Unfortunately not.

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 05-31-2019, 09:44 PM by Wolverine )

Family of Caspian tigers from the area of lower Syr Darya river, Kazahstan, zoological museum of St. Petersburg, photo Andrey Mihailov

https://informburo.kz/stati/kazahstanskie-tigry-nauchnyy-nekrolog-i-ochen-ostrozhnyy-optimizm.html

Historical range of the Caspian tiger in Kazahstan; with arrows are shown solitary shuttles of tigers:

4 users Like Wolverine's post

United States paul cooper Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 06-01-2019, 06:45 AM by paul cooper )

I stumbled upon something interesting.

According to this source, this image is an artifact of a tiger from the 5th to 4th century B.C. from around where caspian tigers live. Would this the oldest artifact of a caspian tiger?

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-.../600089975
5 users Like paul cooper's post

United States paul cooper Offline
Banned

More cool stuff from the same civilization.

3 users Like paul cooper's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Turkestan 1910

Source : Source of the image
3 users Like Lycaon's post