There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Caspian Tiger (Panthera tigris virgata)

United States AnonymousOne Offline
New Join

Still attempting to confirm that Caspian tiger.  Some of it may not be what it first appeared, have to wait and see.  It will take more research.
1 user Likes AnonymousOne's post

SvetTigr Offline

I brought an ancient scroll! Let's see...

Attached Files Image(s)

3 users Like SvetTigr's post

SvetTigr Offline

- Tiger, possibly caspian.
1 user Likes SvetTigr's post

SvetTigr Offline

"Unlike current golden tabby tigers, the one described by Pocock was the Caspian subspecies and did not have the typical whte legs."
“Tigers” by RI Pocock, in JBNHS v.33:pt.3-4 (1929): “the red tiger, illustrated in our coloured plate….is a unique type with all the black pigment abstracted from the stripes, leaving them reddish-brown and only a little darker than the ground colour…The dressed skin of a tigress ticketed ‘Northern slopes of Mount Elburz’ and presented by Col. R.L. Kennion who told me it was presented to him by a native chief. This tiger, represented in the coloured plate, is of extreme interest. The ground colour and the pattern are as in the Afghan specimen; but there is not a trace of black on the skin, all the stripes being brown and indistinctly defined owing to their approximation to the general hue of the coat.” While this might be a golden tabby tiger, Pocock suggested that it might represent one extreme end of the variation in stripe colour that occurred in the Caspian tiger; their stripes varied from black, through various shades of brown, to paler brown.

http://messybeast.com/genetics/tigers-golden.htm - Source

Interesting and confusing piece of info 
5 users Like SvetTigr's post

SvetTigr Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-05-2021, 08:19 PM by SvetTigr Edit Reason: Error in pictures XD )

Lil picture from an obscure japanese website about tigers and animals 
http://biggame.iza-yoi.net/facts/fact17.html

Andrew Kichener of the National Museum of Scotland divides tigers into three subspecies. Panthera tigris tigris in the region from India to Indochina, China, and the Russian Far East. Sunda Island Tiger P. t. Sondaica in Sumatra, Java, Bali, and Borneo. Caspian tiger P. t. Virgata in West Asia.
There was a similar idea before. Persian tigers and Indonesian tigers were distinguished from the Indian to East Asian groups by having well-developed beards, a large number of stripes, and two upper and lower stripes merging (Ohara, 1968).

Huh?

SvetTigr Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-09-2021, 02:17 PM by Rishi )

The Caspian tiger, also known as the "Persian tiger," is a member of the carnivorous feline family.
In Kanji, it is written as "Ura Kaitora" and is said to have become extinct in 1974.
It weighs about 200 kg, and the male is slightly larger, with a total length of 320 mm to 360 mm and a female of about 280 mm to 260 mm, both of which are large.
The fur on the body surface is orange-brown, and the abdomen is cream-colored.
It is characterized by small ears and long hair on the lower half of the face.
Especially in winter, the hair is quite long, and the cheeks and lower part of the body look like fine tufts.
Black to brown stripes can be seen throughout the body.
In English, it is called "Panthera tigris virgata", but virgata means "striped" and is said to have the most body stripes among the tigers.

This page highlights my interesting fact: Virgata means striped in Latin, which means Panthera Tigris Virgata from latin approximately means Stiped Panther! 

[attachment=6252]

The Caspian tiger was abundant in the Caucasus on the Caspian Sea coast, around the Aral Sea, and in the mountainous areas of Iran, Afghanistan, and northern Pakistan.
It is inferred from the habitat that it was named "Caspian tiger".
In the 12th century, it seems to have been seen in the grasslands of Ukraine.
They mainly feed on herbivores, chase after herbivores that are moving in search of grass, and move and act over a wide range.
It is basically nocturnal and is active when the sun goes down and it is dim, but it can also be active during the day.
Like other tiger buddies, they do not form a herd and live alone except during the breeding season.

"In the grasslands of Ukraine"...
It might be a translation error, or wrong info... but... what?! Did they live there?!

https://www.omovia.com/【カスピトラとは】生息地や絶滅の原因・生き残/ - Source
4 users Like SvetTigr's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Another photo of a the same tiger, in the Moscow zoo.

Forgot the source.

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like Lycaon's post

Croatia zulfu1903 Offline

(10-01-2021, 05:38 AM)Lycaon Wrote: Another photo of a the same tiger, in the Moscow zoo.

Forgot the source.

Hello all, I am a new member to the page so hope doing it right. Here is a photo I found recently from Moscow Zoo, thus I believe it can be another photo of Tereza (a female Caspian tiger lived there) based on facial pattern similarities

Attached Files Image(s)

4 users Like zulfu1903's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@zulfu1903 

Nice find! looks like the same tiger.
2 users Like Lycaon's post

Thanks! Another photo posted in Russian web blogs under Caspian tiger, not sure whether it is true or just Siberian tiger? Any thoughts?

Attached Files Image(s)

4 users Like zulfu1903's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@zulfu1903 

This one looks like a amur tiger,but good picture non the less.
1 user Likes Lycaon's post

A depiction of Caspian tiger with distinct tail together with Asiatic Cheetah and Persian leopard in an Iranian source

Attached Files Image(s)

2 users Like zulfu1903's post

SvetTigr Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-16-2021, 03:14 PM by SvetTigr )

Hello! Svetlana's back! 
And... i bring you more papers about Caspian Tigers!!!

Isn't this  Theresa? The fluff on the cheeks seems simillar to me, as much as the face stripes.

Another one from the Moscow Zoo. Kinda looks like a Caspian Tiger to me (Seriously! Check the stripes and the golden fur!)

I - AHAHAH-
Excuse me. That's an ancient Persian Miniature, depicting a hunt on a tiger.
1 user Likes SvetTigr's post

The first one is indeed Tereza, check this post cars the photo is from https://auction.ru/offer/13066_otkrytka_...283.html#2
1 user Likes zulfu1903's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

(12-29-2019, 01:24 AM)Lycaon Wrote: Found this photo of what I think is a virgata in zoo antwerp.

Link to the photo: https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/38-616-AK-TIGER-ZOO-ANTWERPEN/162822436461?hash=item25e8f9366d:g:mIgAAOSw-xVaQ18Y

The photo is online in a Belgian archive:

Two others in case they haven't been posted yet:

All courtesy of Antwerp Zoo.
4 users Like Luipaard's post