There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Caspian Tiger (Panthera tigris virgata)

SvetTigr Offline

Some photos of them!

Let him go... 

A hunter with two presumed-to-be caspian tigers

Taxidermy
2 users Like SvetTigr's post

SvetTigr Offline

More drawings!

https://artdaily.cc/news/114192/Jordan-S...Figda_7SUk
Sad scene  Disappointed

https://dantanarts.com/product/caspian-t...m-de-beer/
What. A. Unit.

A tiger!

Marchin' thru the snow
3 users Like SvetTigr's post

SvetTigr Offline

A old picture of a caspian tiger cub, unfortunately caught in chains. I want to cry when i see this image

SvetTigr Offline

Caspian tiger taxidermy at the NHM Exhibition, i really can say that is quality conserving of a tiger

SvetTigr Offline

Ditto, just getting the whiskers done

SvetTigr Offline

Does this look like a Caspian Tiger?

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Excellent post from the subreddit r/megafaunarewilding (an excellent forum I frequent a lot), the possibility of Caspian tigers persisting in remote areas of Central Asia

Caspian tiger sightings in Tajikistan in the 1990s and later on , ( last confirmed sighting was in 1998 near the border of Afghanistan)

Richard Freeman on Tajikistan sightings of the Caspian tiger, officially considered to have been extirpated in the 1990s, in Animals & Men (November 2018)

Nas Rullo also mentioned that a tiger had been shot by a hunter in the valley. Only the year before, the man had shown him a picture of the tiger on his mobile phone. The authorities investigated but found no tiger.

The story, if true, was dynamite. Tigers did indeed once inhabit Tajikistan, but officially they had been extinct nearly fifty years; the last one being killed in Turkey, in 1970. The Caspian tiger (Panthera tigris virgata) was the second largest species of tiger after the Siberian. It had a distinctive long, thick coat and a ruff or short mane around the neck. The Caspian tiger lived in Central Asiatic Russia, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, Mongolia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan. The idea that one was alive in the Romit Valley just one year ago was astounding. We decided to ask local people about the tiger, as well as the gul.

We visited the mosque and spoke to a group of village elders, asking about the gul and then the tiger. The men were very glad to help and we gained much information from them.

The elderly mullahs all said that tigers still existed in the mountains and hunted wild goats and Marco Polo sheep. One was said to have killed five domestic sheep in a pen, about 4-5 years ago. It was seen by the fanner, who trapped it in the pen. The tiger was killed by villagers. They did not know what became of the body.

About 7 years ago, another man from the village saw a tiger. He described it as longer than a dog, with a tail 1 to 1.5 meters long. It was yellow, with white and black stripes.
About 15 years ago, a hunter saw a tiger kill a wild goat by biting it in the neck. The hunter scared the tiger away and it took the goat, leaving only the head.

They insisted that these animals were not snow leopards. They knew that there were three big cats in the Romit: the leopard, the snow leopard and the tiger.

[An old mullah] had heard of sightings of females with cubs. He had also heard a story of a tiger that had been killing sheep and had been trapped in the sheep pen by villagers.

Later that day, we spoke with a park ranger, called Namon. He did not want to be filmed or photographed but he told us of what he had seen. At around 10 am on June 18 2018, just a month ago, he had seen a Caspian tiger. He was as high in the mountains and there was still snow on the ground. He estimated that the tiger was a young adult, about three or four years old. When the animal saw him, it left. It is the only time he had ever seen a tiger in the wild.

Back at camp, Raga Bali told us that he too had seen tigers about seven or eight years ago, near the village of Tavish. On the first occasion, he had seen a female with three cubs on the far bank of the river. They were all feeding on a dead deer. He watched them feed for an hour. The second time, he saw a single tiger wandering along on the far bank of the river. He thought that they came down from higher elevations in winter.
3 users Like Balam's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@Balam 

This news could potentially be big .
1 user Likes Lycaon's post

SvetTigr Offline

Here i bring another portion of Caspian Tiger images! 
First i will start with the NHM Taxidermied example

Aaaaaaand the ancient sign to the Balkash Tiger Habitat, pretty, ain't it?

4 users Like SvetTigr's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

(05-19-2021, 06:27 PM)Balam Wrote: Excellent post from the subreddit r/megafaunarewilding (an excellent forum I frequent a lot), the possibility of Caspian tigers persisting in remote areas of Central Asia

Caspian tiger sightings in Tajikistan in the 1990s and later on , ( last confirmed sighting was in 1998 near the border of Afghanistan)

Richard Freeman on Tajikistan sightings of the Caspian tiger, officially considered to have been extirpated in the 1990s, in Animals & Men (November 2018)

Nas Rullo also mentioned that a tiger had been shot by a hunter in the valley. Only the year before, the man had shown him a picture of the tiger on his mobile phone. The authorities investigated but found no tiger.

The story, if true, was dynamite. Tigers did indeed once inhabit Tajikistan, but officially they had been extinct nearly fifty years; the last one being killed in Turkey, in 1970. The Caspian tiger (Panthera tigris virgata) was the second largest species of tiger after the Siberian. It had a distinctive long, thick coat and a ruff or short mane around the neck. The Caspian tiger lived in Central Asiatic Russia, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, Mongolia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan. The idea that one was alive in the Romit Valley just one year ago was astounding. We decided to ask local people about the tiger, as well as the gul.

We visited the mosque and spoke to a group of village elders, asking about the gul and then the tiger. The men were very glad to help and we gained much information from them.

The elderly mullahs all said that tigers still existed in the mountains and hunted wild goats and Marco Polo sheep. One was said to have killed five domestic sheep in a pen, about 4-5 years ago. It was seen by the fanner, who trapped it in the pen. The tiger was killed by villagers. They did not know what became of the body.

About 7 years ago, another man from the village saw a tiger. He described it as longer than a dog, with a tail 1 to 1.5 meters long. It was yellow, with white and black stripes.
About 15 years ago, a hunter saw a tiger kill a wild goat by biting it in the neck. The hunter scared the tiger away and it took the goat, leaving only the head.

They insisted that these animals were not snow leopards. They knew that there were three big cats in the Romit: the leopard, the snow leopard and the tiger.

[An old mullah] had heard of sightings of females with cubs. He had also heard a story of a tiger that had been killing sheep and had been trapped in the sheep pen by villagers.

Later that day, we spoke with a park ranger, called Namon. He did not want to be filmed or photographed but he told us of what he had seen. At around 10 am on June 18 2018, just a month ago, he had seen a Caspian tiger. He was as high in the mountains and there was still snow on the ground. He estimated that the tiger was a young adult, about three or four years old. When the animal saw him, it left. It is the only time he had ever seen a tiger in the wild.

Back at camp, Raga Bali told us that he too had seen tigers about seven or eight years ago, near the village of Tavish. On the first occasion, he had seen a female with three cubs on the far bank of the river. They were all feeding on a dead deer. He watched them feed for an hour. The second time, he saw a single tiger wandering along on the far bank of the river. He thought that they came down from higher elevations in winter.

There is more to it than that. See my post on page 4:
(01-15-2020, 03:04 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote: Unknown date of extinction

I read somewhere that when they initially thought that this tiger was extinct by the 1950's (when it apparently became extinct in Iran), they didn't know that there were tigers in Anatolia (Asian Turkey), and the last reported sighting there was by locals and a military officer in 2001, according to this! http://www1.nina.no/lcie_new/pdf/6350122...df#page=15

That isn't the only document with claims of Caspian tigers right into this century. World Wildlife Fund mentions the case of Sergei Mikhailichenko, who alleged seeing a tigress and cubs in the reeds' bushes near Lake Balkhash in eastern Kazakhstan in 2003! https://wwf.ru/upload/iblock/d6d/atacoll...df#page=15

Otherwise, the last known case of the Caspian tiger was of a tiger sighted in the southern part of the Babatag Mountains on the border of Afghanistan and Tajikistan in 1998 (page 5; note that this is one of those URL's that don't show you information on the internet, but download files onto your computer or device): https://web.archive.org/web/201610220651..._study.pdf

To make things more interesting, the Zanzibar leopard (Panthera pardus adersi or Panthera pardus pardus) was thought to be extinct by 2002, but then in the summer of 2018, a leopard was seen in the jungle of Unguja (the largest island of the Zanzibari archipelago)! https://www.academia.edu/694088/Updating..._specimens, https://www.insideedition.com/zanzibar-l...inct-43962

SvetTigr Offline

*This image is copyright of its original author
 - Interesting piece of information from the persian wikipedia
https://fa.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A8%D8%...8%A7%D9%86
1 user Likes SvetTigr's post

United States AnonymousOne Offline
New Join

(05-12-2019, 01:00 PM)Lycaon Wrote: Just a question does anyone here think that virgata sill exists out in parts of their range?

Absolutely, I think they still exist to this very day!  I've seen very recent evidence.

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-10-2021, 06:24 AM by Rishi )

(06-10-2021, 04:14 AM)AnonymousOne Wrote:
(05-12-2019, 01:00 PM)Lycaon Wrote: Just a question does anyone here think that virgata sill exists out in parts of their range?

Absolutely, I think they still exist to this very day!  I've seen very recent evidence.

Don't say "I've got evidence at home"... Share what rest of the world's scientific community has missed.

United States AnonymousOne Offline
New Join

(06-10-2021, 06:17 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 04:14 AM)AnonymousOne Wrote:

Don't say "I've got evidence at home"... Share what rest of the world's scientific community has missed.
I will need to request permission.  It's not my evidence.

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-10-2021, 02:36 PM by Rishi )

(06-10-2021, 10:37 AM)AnonymousOne Wrote: I will need to request permission.  It's not my evidence.

Permission to share link?!

Ok. Take your time. We'd all be very interested in what you have to show.