There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Caspian Tiger (Panthera tigris virgata)

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

The closest we will get to seeing a Xinjiang locality virgata. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Source: https://www.sohu.com/a/308629994_100178829
6 users Like Lycaon's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-18-2020, 04:06 AM by Amnon242 )

this is amur from zoo prague but he is said to be (partially?) of caspian origin...but I dont remember how I got this info...19yo when he died, 18yo at the photo

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like Amnon242's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

...his name was Assuri, died in 2007 and had 11 cubs
6 users Like Amnon242's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-18-2020, 06:09 PM by BorneanTiger )

(03-18-2020, 03:24 PM)Amnon242 Wrote: ...his name was Assuri, died in 2007 and had 11 cubs

I had wondered whether or not there were at least impure descendants of Caspian tigers alive in captivity (as there are impure descendants of Barbary lions alive in captivity), thanks, but obviously, we now have to find the source.

1 user Likes BorneanTiger's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

oficially he was an amur...I will try to find that info...I really dont remember where I found it...perhaps I saw it in some publication of zoo Prague....I could ask them but ZOO is closed and they have to solve different problems now...

Attached Files Image(s)

6 users Like Amnon242's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

This tigers face looks like a caspian and the tail color and pattern to. @Amnon242 if you can try finding more photos of this tiger please.

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

and the hair on the belly is also quite typical...

Attached Files Image(s)

3 users Like Amnon242's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

(03-18-2020, 08:53 PM)Amnon242 Wrote: and the hair on the belly is also quite typical...

Are these the sources?
http://marge.uochb.cas.cz/~fanfrlik/Amur...suri_.html
https://www.blesk.cz/galerie/zpravy-udal...oty?foto=7
2 users Like BorneanTiger's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@BorneanTiger 

Tiger ligar also looks caspian.
1 user Likes Lycaon's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Oscar von Bonsdorff

Portrait of assuri

3 users Like Lycaon's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(05-24-2019, 04:56 PM)Lycaon Wrote: A drawing of a virgata notice the long belly hair and pronounced scruff 

This is a relative famous draw of a Caspian tiger and is often used in many webpages, however it seems that is incorrect.

While I was reading the document of 1929 of Pocock, I noticed a particular picture, check this:

So, it seems that the "famous" draw of the Caspian tiger is actually based in the picture of a Malayan tiger at the London Zoo.

Sad but true!
4 users Like GuateGojira's post

jovem2526 Offline

I do not agree that the Caspian tiger is from the same subspecies as the Siberian tiger, they are very different. The stripes, the face ...
1 user Likes jovem2526's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-04-2020, 03:16 PM by Rishi )

(04-04-2020, 07:11 AM)jovem2526 Wrote: I do not agree that the Caspian tiger is from the same subspecies as the Siberian tiger, they are very different. The stripes, the face ...

They were not exactly the same thing, given tigers were spread over thousands of kilometres from Russian fareast to Caspian sea. But subspecies are decided by differences at genetic level... which there may not have been enough.

There is more variation in stripes or face among Bengal tigers population groups. Sundarban tigers were found to be closest related to Central Indian tigers, not Terai or NE Tigers who they look more similar to. So looks clearly don't reveal that much. 
Caspian, Siberian, Korean were very likely Amur tiger subgroups.
5 users Like Rishi's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Reintroduction

Return of the Tiger: What Will it

Take to Bring Them Back to Kazakhstan? 

In a landmark effort WWF is supporting a project aiming
 to return tigers to their ancestral home in Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan’s Caspian tiger was declared extinct 70
 years ago after falling victim to habitat loss, systematic hunting by military troops and reduction of prey – mainly boar and Bukhara deer. But today with the leadership of
the Government of Kazakhstan and the promise of the ecologically significant region of Ili-Balkhash long-term tiger recovery is within our grasp. If successful it could mark the first international tiger reintroduction in history, and will be an invaluable opportunity to secure the future of this big cat.
Grigory Mazmanyants, Director of the Central Asia Programme for WWF-Russia, tells us more about the project.

Grigory Mazmanyants, Director of the Central Asia Programme for WWF-Russia, tells us more about the project.

Grigory Mazmanyants is the Director of the Central Asia Programme for WWF-Russia © WWF-Russia - Grigory Mazmanyants

How was the reintroduction site selected?

Two areas were proposed for potential reintroduction based on an initial analysis of lands in Central Asia using materials from the “Econet Central Asia” project. With WWF-Russia’s support, an expert group studied these potential sites from 2005-2009 and found that the most promising conditions for tiger restoration are on the Ili River delta and the south shores of Lake Balkhash. Here there are significant natural tiger habitats, although they are partially settled by humans and used for grazing livestock.

Could you explain the steps involved in the tiger reintroduction programme?
It will take at least 15 years, and will include three key stages: First – habitat preparation. This started in 2018 and will last until 2024. The release phase will last another nine years, until 2033. In the programme we speak about the translocation of at least ten tigers in this period, starting with three individuals: two females and one male. Finally the programme monitoring will start in 2033 and continue for at least 15 years. This involves control and population monitoring, developing sustainable management, ecological tourism and so on.

How are you preparing the landscape for tigers?
We’re doing a number of things such as establishing a protected area to ensure protection and increasing the prey base up to 25 individuals per 1000 ha, as well as reforesting at least 10,000 ha of riparian forest. Importantly, we are consulting and working with communities throughout the process, and will be developing prevention mechanisms for potential human-wildlife-conflict issues, as well as preparing compensation mechanisms in the even that any cattle are lost to tigers. We are also constructing enclosures for temporary holding of tigers so they can be monitored closely to ensure they are fit for release.

Where will the tigers come from?
The tigers will come from the Russian Far East, as DNA analysis has shown that the Amur tiger is the closest living relative to the Caspian tiger that once lived in Kazakhstan.

The Amur tiger is the closest living relative of the now extinct Caspian tiger, which once roamed Kazakhstan © WWF-Russia

What will the translocation process look like?
They will be captured in the wild, and after receiving veterinary care they will be transported by special aircraft for six hours, by helicopter for two hours, and finally released into an enclosure in the Ili-Balkhash Landscape.

How many tigers could Ili-Balkhash support in the future?
The area has the capacity to support 120 tigers if there is sufficient prey. We will need to ensure the population is sustainably managed perhaps with nature based tourism in place.

What kind of challenges does a project of this scale face?
Well there are a lot – but the biggest thing is that we need to involve a lot of people: reserve staff, locals and officials. Reforestation, reintroduction, increasing the prey et cetera – this is all possible with money. But even with billions of dollars it is not possible to finish the project without people, their professionalism, support and as most importantly – their wish to do it.

Prey reintroduction: the Bukhara deer went extinct in Ili-Balkhash in 1912, but has since been reintroduced © WWF-Russia - Grigory Mazmaniants

The Caspian tiger went extinct in Kazakhstan nearly 70 years ago, due to familiar challenges. How do we know history won’t repeat itself?
There are three main reasons tigers went extinct. First, it was perceived as a threat. The common position was ‘kill the tiger!’. That situation has changed. Today the tiger is a protected species, and tiger tourism is a potential source of income, so their presence can be positive. We need to be certain that the communities are fully in support of the project, putting in place every measure to ensure human- wildlife conflict is mitigated.
Second, the level of prey was decimated by unregulated hunting. The Bukhara deer, for instance, went extinct in Ili-Balkhash in 1912. Nowadays we have a reserve, nature protection as well as a hunting free zone.
Finally, agriculture development – cutting trees and reeds, increased cattle, overgrazing and so on contributed to the Caspian tiger’s extinction. We now have a chance to steer future development in a sustainable direction that supports both people and tigers.

This is a major project. The people behind the scenes must be dedicated. On a personal note, why do you care so much about bringing tigers back to Kazakhstan?

Quote:[i]I started to work for nature protection 35 years ago. It is the opportunity of a lifetime to be involved in such an ambitious conservation project. We are not only conserving and stabilising a situation, but we are on the counter attack in the fight to protect nature, and I want to be in the front row![/i]
4 users Like Sully's post

jovem2526 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-13-2020, 06:22 AM by Rishi )

(04-04-2020, 09:29 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 07:11 AM)jovem2526 Wrote: I do not agree that the Caspian tiger is from the same subspecies as the Siberian tiger, they are very different. The stripes, the face ...

They were not exactly the same thing, given tigers were spread over thousands of kilometres from Russian fareast to Caspian sea. But subspecies are decided by differences at genetic level... which there may not have been enough.

There is more variation in stripes or face among Bengal tigers population groups. Sundarban tigers were found to be closest related to Central Indian tigers, not Terai or NE Tigers who they look more similar to. So looks clearly don't reveal that much. 
Caspian, Siberian, Korean were very likely Amur tiger subgroups.

What about the shape of the skull?
Even if they are of the same subspecies they have particularities and you cannot say that they are the same. The Siberian tiger is not the same as the Caspian tiger. Each has its physical configuration. And these differences are what could make a difference in the matter of adaptation.