There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Michael Offline

(06-30-2017, 07:43 PM)vinodkumarn Wrote:
(06-30-2017, 07:17 PM)Michael Wrote:
(06-30-2017, 06:15 PM)vinodkumarn Wrote:
(06-30-2017, 02:59 PM)sundarbans Wrote: What are the intra-coalition relationships and hierarchy within the Birmingham males?

Nsuku is the most dominant followed by Nhena, Tinyo and Mfumo
Mfumo becomes aggressive against Tinyo and they fight each other frequently

Why do you think Nhenha is more dominant than Mfumo and Tinyo ?

I do remember he eating the Carcass first few months ago and also I think he is older than Tinyo and Mfumo

But the other three males are seen mating a lot more often specially Nsuku and Mfumo, I would say the hierarchy right now is Nsuku/Mfumo/Tinyo/Nhenha but who knows it´s actually hard to tell with the BB´s they are rarely seen together so there isn´t a lot of sightings of the four interacting at carcasses or them fighting for mating rights other than Mfumo and Tinyo who are constantly clashing and seems like Mfumo has been getting the better of him lately.
2 users Like Michael's post

Bangladesh sundarbans Offline

Are the Birminghams rarely seen together because they split during patrols? And do any of them show a strong preference among their coalition brothers? (like Dark Mane and Scar Nose of the Majingilane or Kinky Tail and Mr. T of the Mapogos)
1 user Likes sundarbans's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-30-2017, 11:09 PM by vinodkumarn )

One of the Birmingham male lions was resting up in some long grass recently. Image by Diff Marimane

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

(06-30-2017, 02:59 PM)sundarbans Wrote: What are the intra-coalition relationships and hierarchy within the Birmingham males?

I think the dominant when the four are together is still male #1, he's the oldest.

But since they prefer to be on pairs, I think it's #1 and #2, with #1 being dominant, and #3 and #4, with #3 being the dominant one.

This isn't set on stone, of course, but that's at least what I've gathered from seeing them feeding and with the lionesses.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Michael Offline

(06-30-2017, 11:41 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:

I think the dominant when the four are together is still male #1, he's the oldest.

But since they prefer to be on pairs, I think it's #1 and #2, with #1 being dominant, and #3 and #4, with #3 being the dominant one.

This isn't set on stone, of course, but that's at least what I've gathered from seeing them feeding and with the lionesses.

Is there any recent footage of them in a kill ?
1 user Likes Michael's post

Michael Offline

(06-30-2017, 09:25 PM)sundarbans Wrote: Are the Birminghams rarely seen together because they split during patrols? And do any of them show a strong preference among their coalition brothers? (like Dark Mane and Scar Nose of the Majingilane or Kinky Tail and Mr. T of the Mapogos)

Mfumo and Tinyo are often together
1 user Likes Michael's post

United Kingdom Agerceno Offline

I've seen videos or pictures of all the Birmingham's mating with various members of the Nkuhuma & Styx Prides over the last 18 months. The only scuffles over females which I've seen video or pictures from is when Mfumo beat Tinyo in November 2016 & Nsuku beat 1 of the other 3 in February 2017.

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

Three of the birminghams made an appearance in MalaMala today, they might be the ones to finally bring stability to central Sabi Sands.
2 users Like sik94's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

And this is the report:

Credits to MalaMala Game Reserve.

"MALAMALA TODAY: June 30th. The roars of lions have dominated the night skies over MalaMala recently and last night was no different. Lions could be heard through the night both opposite and south of Main Camp. This time the culprits opposite camp were 3 of the Gowrie males! It's been a while since we've viewed the coalition this far south and they meant business."

Click on it to play.

2 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States leocrest Offline

Tinyo, mfumo and what looks like nsuku. It's odd that they don't travel as a full unit. I guess nhenha was left on daddy duty.
1 user Likes leocrest's post

if mane color equals dominance, tinyo has the darkest mane.

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

(07-01-2017, 04:39 AM)Agerceno Wrote: The only scuffles over females which I've seen video or pictures from is when Mfumo beat Tinyo in November 2016 & Nsuku beat 1 of the other 3 in February 2017.

From the ones I saw, only one time #4 only seemed to be dominant over #3. Just that one time. The rest of times, #3 cleared the floor with him, and even the lionesses scuffed him over nothing, usually #3 being the one causing the problem and the women loved him anyway.

Try to look at some of the older broadcasts of the live safari, we have some here in the older posts and I'm sure youtube has a lot.

And also, consider how he got that little scar beneath his eye. To me, that was a fight from #3, most likely. 

In lions, intra-coalition especifically, I see dominance established in two ways: 

1- Women, 

2- Food.

Sometimes it happens that the one who gets the girls is second when it comes to food( I saw it happen with the Southern Matimba males), and others the one that is dominant with the lionesses is also the first when it comes to eating( like Dark mane Majingilane). 

Lions aren't like wolves, where the Alpha decides who eats after him and who has to wait. No. 

Lions take what they want, if those who don't, for whatever reason, end up behind in the hierarchy.

Asking for permission is for weaklings among lions, and this is why a smaller but bolder lion will be the better of another that may be bigger in body size, like is the case with male #4.

The rest of the time, they are pretty chill (read: lazy) about life in general and there isn't one that says where they'll go that morning. If one gets up, they'll just follow or even follow the females.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

As for mating rights, nkahuma lionesses prefer mfumo over tinyo. Not sure about the Styx pride.

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

(07-01-2017, 07:28 AM)leocrest Wrote: As for mating rights, nkahuma lionesses prefer mfumo over tinyo.

Really? It used to be waaaay the other way around.

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Credits to Nkorho Bush Lodge.

This was broadcasted live, they were there with male #2.

Click on it to play.