There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Nhenha - The remaining Gowrie/Birmingham male (?) at MalaMala Game Reserve
Photo credit: Zali_Photo (IG)

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The legend himself - Nhenha, the last Gowrie/Birmingham male is back on his old stomping grounds
Photo credit: Inmyw_Ildestdreams

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like T I N O's post

1ofCourage Offline

(12-25-2021, 05:50 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Nhenha in Londolozi 

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

Somehow he looks like he's thinking about Tinyo, his pride and cubs, how life is now and all the recent changes.  
With lions, it's all or nothing.

He's in good shape but still vulnerable to all those young coalitions.
6 users Like 1ofCourage's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

Tinyo probably was killed by the Nw's during their recent intrusions, The Birminghams looked pretty unscathed after the they took out the Othawa male too so It's not such a far-fetched idea that the Nw's may have taken him out even if they don't look like they had been in a fight.
4 users Like sik94's post

Australia 1999gc8 Offline

(12-26-2021, 07:48 AM)sik94 Wrote: Tinyo probably was killed by the Nw's during their recent intrusions, The Birminghams looked pretty unscathed after the they took out the Othawa male too so It's not such a far-fetched idea that the Nw's may have taken him out even if they don't look like they had been in a fight.

The footage of the NW's looked like they were in a fight. One could barely walk and had a terribly swollen front poor. Also one of them had bite marks in the back leg groin area as well. Perhaps they were wounds from the fight with Tinyo rather than fighting amongst themselves for mating rights like many commented about?
2 users Like 1999gc8's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Its not a golden rule that there has to be wounds. If Tinyo was jumped from behind by several male lions he could easily get his spine snapped without getting a chance to do much damage himself. So it is possible.
Though ultimately it could have been plenty of other things. The wild is a very dangerous place for an older animal.

As for Nhenha, we will soon see how healthy he really is now he is nomadic again. That will determine how much value he still has and how likely it is that he may be accepted by his sons.
I dont think him joining up with the Tsalala lioness is something to be rooting for. That poor girl has enough problems as it is and will do much better on her own for now. 

Ultimately the world belongs to the youth. Not the old.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-26-2021, 02:08 PM by Tr1x24 )

(12-26-2021, 11:39 AM)1999gc8 Wrote: The footage of the NW's looked like they were in a fight. One could barely walk and had a terribly swollen front poor. Also one of them had bite marks in the back leg groin area as well. Perhaps they were wounds from the fight with Tinyo rather than fighting amongst themselves for mating rights like many commented about?

Those wounds on N'ws where fight from Blondie, who also got wounded.. Birminghams (or only Nhenha if Tinyo was already gone) where already far east when that happened (as rangers confirmed).
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

BigLion39 Offline

I have a looming thought that Tinyo never recovered from when the videos of him skinny, unhealthy showed up. Then all of a sudden videos of Tinyo popped up of him recovered, limping on a bad hip. For some reason I think the videos might have gotten mixed up and we saw the downfall of his health months ago, then just his bad health caught up with him. It is not unthinkable that the dates got mixed up on MalaMala videos and I'm not sure it was actually confirmed that he was seen in good shape back in Sept/Oct and if so was he in bad shape?
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-26-2021, 03:15 PM by Tr1x24 )

(12-26-2021, 02:56 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: I have a looming thought that Tinyo never recovered from when the videos of him skinny, unhealthy showed up. Then all of a sudden videos of Tinyo popped up of him recovered, limping on a bad hip. For some reason I think the videos might have gotten mixed up and we saw the downfall of his health months ago, then just his bad health caught up with him. It is not unthinkable that the dates got mixed up on MalaMala videos and I'm not sure it was actually confirmed that he was seen in good shape back in Sept/Oct and if so was he in bad shape?

Last video i posted of him (you can find it here few pages back) around very late October, he was patroling with Nhenha in the night, he was in decent condition (definitely not at the death door).. Thats the last footage of Tinyo and the last time MalaMala rangers saw him and them together.
He definitely didn't die because of his condition those days, maybe sudden death yes, but his condition was good enough to live (he was in much worse condition in July/August).
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(12-26-2021, 07:48 AM)sik94 Wrote: Tinyo probably was killed by the Nw's during their recent intrusions, The Birminghams looked pretty unscathed after the they took out the Othawa male too so It's not such a far-fetched idea that the Nw's may have taken him out even if they don't look like they had been in a fight.

Highly unlikely, the movements of the N'was was all recorded by the Londolozi and MM rangers. None of the N'was showed signs of being in a scuffle anywhere between meeting the Avocas or after. And no the Bboys were not unscathed. Nhenha had scratches and a limp. Tinyo had wounds and his condition worsened after the Othawa Males death. There was no evidence to say the N'was came into contact with Tinyo. Also Tinyo might have been improving his condition but his outer appearance doesn't mean his internal organs could not have had their own share of problems.
2 users Like Slayerd's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-26-2021, 03:56 PM by Potato )

Of course it is possible Tinyo was taken out by Ndzenga males tho in the end his fate is unknown. It is a theory just as good as any other. 

(12-26-2021, 02:07 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Those wounds on N'ws where fight from Blondie, who also got wounded.. Birminghams (or only Nhenha if Tinyo was already gone) where already far east when that happened (as rangers confirmed).
"far east" by mean eastern border of Mala Mala is not really far from the possitions of Ndzenga males after they crossed into Mala Mala. The Ndzenga's injures might be only from the fighting with Northern Avocas, but definitelly it is possible the came across BIrminghams back then as well.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-26-2021, 04:01 PM by Duco Ndona )

I think those reports of them being east were from when the Nwas were still in Londolozi. Its possible they two groups were closer later when those did start crossing deeper in Mala.

The Avocas were also seen with wounds though. As had most groups in the northeast.

WildRev Offline

Tinyo disappeared around the same time the N'was came into Malamala, doesn't seem far-fetched to think that the N'was could be responsible
3 users Like WildRev's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Birmingham/ Gowrie male, Nhenha, crossing the Sand River at Mala Mala Game Reserve, December 25. He was with the subadults of the Kambula/ Ntsevu pride.

4 users Like Potato's post

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

It's rumoured that the 5th Mantimhale male and his son/nephew might be responsible for Tinyo's disappearance in the East of MalaMala.  .
1 user Likes lionuk's post