There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Spain Calvitoo Offline

(07-15-2021, 02:01 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: I hope Tinyo gets better so we can have some more good times with him. Back hip looks bad.

Hopefully it doesn't happen to him like Nsuku, but if he eats well, he always stays with his brother and follows the pride Kambula will recover.
3 users Like Calvitoo's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Tinyo -16 July 2021
Photo credit: S. Zeederberg

*This image is copyright of its original author
10 users Like lionuk's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(07-17-2021, 12:41 AM)lionuk Wrote: Tinyo -16 July 2021
Photo credit: S. Zeederberg

All the recent activity is really beginning to show on him.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Yeah. That photo has the same vibe that photos of other lions like 5 jocks senior or HB Matimba had. Just before they perished. 

Lets hope they can hang just a bit longer. Becouse once they become nomads again, I think it will go downhill pretty quickly.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-17-2021, 04:40 AM by Tr1x24 )

(07-15-2021, 02:14 PM)Calvitoo Wrote: Hopefully it doesn't happen to him like Nsuku, but if he eats well, he always stays with his brother and follows the pride Kambula will recover.

Recover from what? He is just fine..he has that occasionaly limp for around a year, after he warms up his leg, he walks just fine.. He is old, thats it.

Im fact, based of early photos of Bboys, he looks to be the oldest after Nsuku, Nhenha was definitely younger then him in my opinion, might be even the youngest of them all:

6 users Like Tr1x24's post

RookiePundit Offline

(07-17-2021, 03:38 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Yeah. That photo has the same vibe that photos of other lions like 5 jocks senior or HB Matimba had. Just before they perished. 

Lets hope they can hang just a bit longer. Becouse once they become nomads again, I think it will go downhill pretty quickly.

At the same time Tinyo has that "seen better days" look all the time like for forever. He is not getting any younger ofc, but I would not make conclusion from single pictures, he is bound to look worse on some of them. Nhenha certainly should have more longevity in him unless some twist and turns of fate would not change that. I don't expect them to be on their way out anytime soon (like this year), if they feel age is getting to them, they will probably double down on what they did over years - not being triger happy and avoiding fights they don't need to take. Even Nhenha alone as he is in condition to be expected to have at least a year more than Tinyo will probably dodge others for some time, after all he has a decent size to him as deterrent against sole challengers. Not every male will risk what they have to attack Birminghams like Othawa did. As of now I don't think there is any immediate threat, as long they are two, the only mosre numerous coalition are the N'was, which might be content with what they have and expand in any direction from there anyway and if Southern or Northern Avocas would push the Birminghams (equal numbers right now) they still have quite a lot of space to shift territory a bit (especially with Othawa gone and Mhangeni naturally being rather lowprofile a long as they have cubs), plus the possibly breakaway might create a buffer tone for them as well. The young nomads don't have numbers nor the confidence to challenge them. Danger can come from utside of Sabi Sands ofc, but impossible to foretell, besides the 5th Mantimahle with his two sons, which made an appearance on eastern fringes and subsequently left, there was nothing like that.

I don't pick favourites like many do, but Birminghams lowkey became vey succesful coalition and with the promise of the current Kambula sub-adults (both sexes), they are likely to leave the area in a good shape once their rules will come to end. But I don't think they are there yet, nor I want them to be, unlike perhaps Londolozi, they are certainly not a warring coalition to fill their naratives.
5 users Like RookiePundit's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Old man Tinyo by TheSafariExpert - taken today 

8 users Like Tonpa's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Tinyo has looked old ever since i got into lions,with steady meals im sure he will be ok for some time to come
3 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Abomai Offline

(07-17-2021, 04:25 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-15-2021, 02:14 PM)Calvitoo Wrote: Hopefully it doesn't happen to him like Nsuku, but if he eats well, he always stays with his brother and follows the pride Kambula will recover.

Recover from what? He is just fine..he has that occasionaly limp for around a year, after he warms up his leg, he walks just fine.. He is old, thats it.

Im fact, based of early photos of Bboys, he looks to be the oldest after Nsuku, Nhenha was definitely younger then him in my opinion, might be even the youngest of them all:

nope. the youngest was scrapper. Nhenha probably as old as nsuku, but the best looking of the bunch. Tinyo looks older than his age.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-18-2021, 01:42 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-18-2021, 01:04 PM)Abomai Wrote: nope. the youngest was scrapper. Nhenha probably as old as nsuku, but the best looking of the bunch. Tinyo looks older than his age.

And you know that how exactly? Nhenha was definitely not as old as Nsuku..

One of the first sightings of Bboys in northern Sabi Sands in late 2014 on WildEarth :

Nsuku:

Tinyo and Mfumo :

And 2 who look to be the youngest ones, Scrapper:

And Nhenha :

People taught that Nhenha was one of the oldest Bboys, but thats not true, he was very big and developed with big mane when he entered his prime, but in early days that was not the case..

But when we talk about their age differences, it was prob minimal, few months or weeks maybe, and some of them, prob Tinyo and Mfumo where littermates.
8 users Like Tr1x24's post

Spain Calvitoo Offline

The 2 Birmingham males Nhenha and Tinyo looking better with full bellies this morning at Mala Mala Game Reserve, July 18.

8 users Like Calvitoo's post

Abomai Offline

(07-18-2021, 01:23 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-18-2021, 01:04 PM)Abomai Wrote: nope. the youngest was scrapper. Nhenha probably as old as nsuku, but the best looking of the bunch. Tinyo looks older than his age.

And you know that how exactly? Nhenha was definitely not as old as Nsuku..

One of the first sightings of Bboys in northern Sabi Sands in late 2014 on WildEarth :

Nsuku:

Tinyo and Mfumo :

And 2 who look to be the youngest ones, Scrapper:

And Nhenha :

People taught that Nhenha was one of the oldest Bboys, but thats not true, he was very big and developed with big mane when he entered his prime, but in early days that was not the case..

But when we talk about their age differences, it was prob minimal, few months or weeks maybe, and some of them, prob Tinyo and Mfumo where littermates.

I know from reports, as would anyone. We can't be sure about anything with wild animals.
I said nhenha is probably as old as nsuku because he is believed to be older than tinyo.
Those screenshots don't tell the truth. from certain angles tinyo looks younger and nhenha looks older.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-19-2021, 07:01 AM)Abomai Wrote: I know from reports, as would anyone. We can't be sure about anything with wild animals.
I said nhenha is probably as old as nsuku because he is believed to be older than tinyo.
Those screenshots don't tell the truth. from certain angles tinyo looks younger and nhenha looks older.

What reports? From rangers on WildEarth who seen them for the first time just like us when they where 4 yrs old?  Tinyo had darker nose and darker/bigger mane before Nhenha..

Rumors that Nhenha was the oldest with Nsuku was because he was biggest in the size, but that doesnt mean that he was oldest, while Nsuku had the biggest mane and darkest nose.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Abomai Offline

(07-19-2021, 11:58 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 07:01 AM)Abomai Wrote: I know from reports, as would anyone. We can't be sure about anything with wild animals.

What reports? From rangers on WildEarth who seen them for the first time just like us when they where 4 yrs old?  Tinyo had darker nose and darker/bigger mane before Nhenha..

Rumors that Nhenha was the oldest with Nsuku was because he was biggest in the size, but that doesnt mean that he was oldest, while Nsuku had the biggest mane and darkest nose.
You make no sense. Tinyo always had the darkest mane and mfumo was the largest and no one ever thought they were as old as nsuku.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-19-2021, 04:18 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-19-2021, 03:25 PM)Abomai Wrote: You make no sense. Tinyo always had the darkest mane and mfumo was the largest and no one ever thought they were as old as nsuku

Nhenha was the largest, not Mfumo..

We did comparison of both Nhenha and Mfumo here on this forum, with pictures, and Nhenha was clearly the biggest of all Birminghams, you could argue that Mfumo was bulkier with bigger head, but Nhenha was taller and longer.. 

You need to do some research by yourself and dont trust only rangers words.. They are not always 100% right. 

Mfumo was mostly seen by rangers in company of smaller Tinyo and Nsuku, and from that there comes that Mfumo was the largest, while in fact most rangers never seen Nhenha alongside Mfumo, because Nhenha was mostly a loner. 

Here are few screenshots, i believe what i see with my eyes, and not some rumors or rangers words who barely seen Nhenha :

Left Nhenha, right Mfumo

First from the left Nhenha, 2nd Mfumo

Nhenha first then Mfumo

Im not saying that age difference is big, but Nsuku (clearly oldest), Mfumo and Tinyo had more developed manes when they first came here, Scrapper had the least and because of that he was said to be the youngest.

In the end, you dont need to agree, its my opinion.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post