There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Styx Pride

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Very risky for them to hunt buffalo bulls.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Mwk85 Offline

(09-13-2023, 07:18 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Looks like all subs reunited, 5 females and 1 male:

I feared for subs after Gijimas takeover, but they are doing really good and are on a good track to reach adulthood.

I guess only thing which is uncertain, if they will reunite with 2 adult females (who have, or will have cubs soon) or if they will split and form new pride, lets hope they reunite.

According to a reply I received from Jason Street (jasoncstreet IG) the whole pride were seen together recently and it appeared to him that one of the adult lionesses has potentially already had a new set of cubs. If that is indeed the case, odds as right now look positive for the pride to stay together. Obviously things can always change, but hopefully once the younger females come into esturus for the first time they'll stay with their mothers and continue rebuilding the pride.
3 users Like Mwk85's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(09-14-2023, 12:17 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 07:18 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Looks like all subs reunited, 5 females and 1 male:

I feared for subs after Gijimas takeover, but they are doing really good and are on a good track to reach adulthood.

I guess only thing which is uncertain, if they will reunite with 2 adult females (who have, or will have cubs soon) or if they will split and form new pride, lets hope they reunite.

According to a reply I received from Jason Street (jasoncstreet IG) the whole pride were seen together recently and it appeared to him that one of the adult lionesses has potentially already had a new set of cubs. If that is indeed the case, odds as right now look positive for the pride to stay together. Obviously things can always change, but hopefully once the younger females come into esturus for the first time they'll stay with their mothers and continue rebuilding the pride.

I think the fact that they were all seen together, in and of itself, is some good news. We'll all continue to hope things work out for the Styx Pride.
5 users Like BA0701's post

Tylermartin! Offline

I feel so bad for the Styx pride they had 4 strong dominant males 3 adult females and what 11 cubs 6 girls 5 boys now no dominant males to protect them 1 adult female the youngest of the three and only 6 subadults 5 girls and 1 boy hopefully and I pray those 5 girls can survive and carry the Styx pride name for many many years to come
4 users Like Tylermartin!'s post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

This is a catastrophe, I still can't believe it.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(09-19-2023, 07:38 PM)Tylermartin! Wrote: I feel so bad for the Styx pride they had 4 strong dominant males 3 adult females and what 11 cubs 6 girls 5 boys now no dominant males to protect them 1 adult female the youngest of the three and only 6 subadults 5 girls and 1 boy hopefully and I pray those 5 girls can survive and carry the Styx pride name for many many years to come

Yeah. They’ve been very unfortunate regarding protective males. Birmingham abandoned them in very similar fashion and lost almost all offspring (of 13 I think) with only Styx Nwalungu and this last Styx lioness today.

I hope these 5 remaining sub adults females can be accepted by Gijima or next coalition that happens to control them so they can become the rebuilders of the pride
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Who confrmed it was Styx female?
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BorntobeWild Offline

(09-19-2023, 10:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Who confrmed it was Styx female?

They said the lioness had cubs in the den. 

This is the saddest thing. The mother is gone, leaving the cubs starving to death in the den.

I need a couple of glasses of wine to deal with all of this.
4 users Like BorntobeWild's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(09-19-2023, 10:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Who confrmed it was Styx female?

Scar released a video which is also claiming it was a Styx female, and that it was the mother who was denning with brand new cubs.

5 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-20-2023, 04:37 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-20-2023, 07:10 AM)BorntobeWild Wrote: They said the lioness had cubs in the den. 

This is the saddest thing. The mother is gone, leaving the cubs starving to death in the den.

(09-20-2023, 07:36 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Scar released a video which is also claiming it was a Styx female, and that it was the mother who was denning with brand new cubs.

Yea thats sad.

They prob found her denning site, so she prob tried to defend her cubs instead of running away.

Thats the danger of denning without having real support of your pride, she was pretty much in SP territory, as SP 3 females are stronger then 2 Styx's at this point, as Styxs with their subs are semi-nomadic since Ndhzengas abandon them.

This female went thru a lot, losing her sub sister to S. Matimbas, Bboys takeover, then she got ditched by Bboys, became nomadic, finally settled again with Ndhzengas, got ditched again, and now when she started fresh again with Gijimas she got killed. 

Really tough life, she was oldest living Majingilane daughter in SS (Fourways female is older, but no updates on her in a while).

RIP.

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

NLAL11 Online
( This post was last modified: 09-20-2023, 05:20 PM by NLAL11 )

(09-20-2023, 04:33 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-20-2023, 07:10 AM)BorntobeWild Wrote: They said the lioness had cubs in the den. 

(09-20-2023, 07:36 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Scar released a video which is also claiming it was a Styx female, and that it was the mother who was denning with brand new cubs.

Yea thats sad.

They prob found her denning site, so she prob tried to defend her cubs instead of running away.

Thats the danger of denning without having real support of your pride, she was pretty much in SP territory, as SP 3 females are stronger then 2 Styx's at this point, as Styxs with their subs are semi-nomadic since Ndhzengas abandon them.

This female went thru a lot, losing her sub sister to S. Matimbas, Bboys takeover, then she got ditched by Bboys, became nomadic, finally settled again with Ndhzengas, got ditched again, and now when she started fresh again with Gijimas she got killed. 

Really tough life, she was oldest living Majingilane daughter in SS (Fourways female is older, but no updates on her in a while).

RIP.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Lionesses going off to den on their own is pretty standard. Where were the Gijimas? This is a pretty big failure on their part.

Sad to see this lioness go. She had a tough life by the sounds of it. Hope the rest of the pride can hang on.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its not their fault. They dont keep track of the movements of their lionesses on a daily basis. Infact, lionesses typically do their best not to let the males know where they are. Especially when denning, but also while hunting so they can have some hours on the kill before the males arive. Not to mention that the Gijimas have their own duties away from the prides. Especially now. 

So them not being there is pretty normal. 

Its odd that we dont have any reports of the southern pride killing the cubs if this happened at the densite. I think that the poor mother succesfully lured the southern pride away from the den by running away, but was ultimately unsuccesfull getting away herself.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-20-2023, 06:02 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-20-2023, 05:18 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Lionesses going off to den on their own is pretty standard. Where were the Gijimas? This is a pretty big failure on their part.

Yes, but its safe when they are denning on their prides territory, Styxs being semi- nomadic , they "share" same area with territorial SP, who are currently stronger pride of the 2, as Styxs subs are not old enough to contribute, and are on the run from territorial Gijima males, so they are low profile.

I dont think its Gijimas fault, clashes between prides under 1 coalitions is normal, and usually weaker pride gets overpowered.

SP is Gijimas main pride, 2 Styxs females where their "side kick" and only recently mated with them, similar how Bboys had Kambulas as main, and Tsalalas as side.

Tables had turned, as under Ndhzengas, Styxs had 3 adults, while SP was only 1, so Styxs where more comfortable and stronger pride in this area.

Since Ndhzengas abandon south, Styxs lost 1 adult, and where forced to become semi-nomadic to avoid  new territorial Gijimas. On the other hand, SP almost immidiately accepted Gijimas and had their support, aswell as 2 sub girls grown a lot, so with support of Gijimas and 3 females, they again become strongest pride in the area.

Even now when Gijimas accepted 2 Styxs females, they are still weaker then 3 SP, as Styx subs are not accepted by Gijimas, so its 2vs3, as subs are irrelevant.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tylermartin! Offline

The southern pride has a history of this as well remember what happened to the Charleston pride.
4 users Like Tylermartin!'s post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

We saw the same thing with the Ximhungwe, Othawa conflict. 

At first the Othawas seemed by far the most powerful pride. But because they had cubs, they were stuck with Skorro. 
While the Ximhungwe lioness after her daughter died was free to recruit new allies in the form of Gingerella, Nhenha and Nym. Allowing her to turn the tables and take over.  

Its interesting how much of a role cubs can play in the dynamics of lions. Having or losing your cubs at the right moment can make all the difference.
5 users Like Duco Ndona's post