There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spotted Hyena (Crocuta crocuta)

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-03-2017, 03:31 AM by epaiva )

*This image is copyright of its original author

Spotted hyena ( crocuta crocuta) Skeleton courtesy of Yorkshire Skeleton Museum
3 users Like epaiva's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 07:12 PM by epaiva )

Spotted hyena ( crocuta crocuta) Skeleton credits to Museum of Osteology in Orlando, FL

4 users Like epaiva's post

United States Fredymrt Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-14-2017, 11:32 PM by Fredymrt )

All Credits to Edrich Schafer

2 Hyenas Brutally Kill Another Hyena
November 14, 2017

Edrich Schafer (39), Lodge manager in the Timbavati, was in for a huge shock the night of Friday 13th of October 2017.

This whole ordeal took place right in front of a private camp in the Timbavati, Greater Kruger Area. We were just about to put the meat on the fire when we heard hyenas causing a big commotion.

When the noises did not stop and moved right up to the front of the camp, we decided to go and investigate. Just listening to the noise from a distance, our initial thoughts were the hyenas were busy hunting down an old or sick buffalo.
This does happen here occasionally, and those noises sounded like hyenas during a feeding frenzy mixed with the distress call of a buffalo.

With camera and flashlight in hand, we headed down to the river in the front.
It took us about two minutes to really figure out what was going on as these things moved in and out thick bush. Then....to our shock, horror and confusion.....2 Hyenas on top of another hyena!
They meant war...

The one hyena's face, covered in blood and screaming like a buffalo. The noise and smells at night with this right in front of us was something we won't quickly forget. The reason for this can only be related back to either a threat or competition. Whatever the reason was that night, it was not taken lightly by these guys.

One also realized that intentional torture was part of it....biting ears, face, genitals and ripping guts nonstop....or are hyenas just that tough that this is what it takes to kill one? There was not a grain of mercy here and this was serious business for these hyenas to deal with. The 2 attackers were tired-out by the end. This ordeal lasted for over 50mins without any rest periods in between. They left the badly mauled victim still breathing.

WATCH[

He died a slow death that night. Hyenas are probably the toughest animals on this planet, so when they turn on each other, things get messy. For this one hyena to stay alive for that long is astounding.
For me, living here in the wild, I have NEVER seen this kind of brutality before. The next morning, the smell was already strong. We had to tow the carcass away from the camp into the bush about a kilometer away. The carcass was there for another 24 hours and nothing touched it. Two days later it was gone. Drag marks heading in two different directions, the smell still in the air and lots of tracks all over the place. Those tracks, of course, belonged to…..Hyenas."

2 users Like Fredymrt's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

Credits: ElephantPlains Game Lodge

The pig that caused a predicament

One cool and cloudy afternoon I decided to take my guest to our resident hyena clan’s den. The hyena den is usually very active in the cool weather. This particular day was no different. The babies were out of the den resting close to their mothers. It was not long before another youngster stuck its head out of the hole. The three youngsters started playing with a piece of dry wood that was laying on the ground close to the den. Their game was suddenly interrupted when a big warthog male arrived on the scene. The two mothers did not really know what to make of this so they did not pay a lot of attention to the warthog. The young hyenas moved closer to the safety of the den’s entrance. By now the sun was very low on the horizon and dusk was setting in fast. The thunder was roaring out of the southern part of the reserve announcing that rain was on the way. After a few minutes a sudden cold wind picked up charging through the trees around the den. The warthog moved closer and closer to the den keeping a watchful eye on the two hyena females. Both the hyena females and the three young pups were sitting at the den entrance watching the warthog as he came closer. Suddenly, without warning, the warthog male charged at the hyenas. The hyenas split into two groups, mothers ran away from the den and babies ran into the hole. The warthog charged after the hyena females chasing them away from the den. The warthog returned to the den entrance, turned around and reversed himself into the den. The hyena mothers looked on in disbelieve as the warthog male disappeared into the den. After numerous unsuccessful attempts to get the warthog out of the hole, the two females looked very puzzled. Just before we left this awesome sighting as it was getting darker. The one hyena female started calling for the rest of the group. On our way back to the lodge we couldn’t help to wonder what would happen to the poor babies. They were now stuck in the den with a big warthog blocking the entrance to the den. The next morning, we went out with first light to check up on the den and what happened during the night. On our arrival to the den it looked like all was back to normal.  15 Members of the clan was all moving around the den. Little did we know that all was not good in the hood as mister pig came flying out of the hole like a bat out of hell. This caused chaos amongst the hyenas and they scattered into different directions. The warthog continued to harass the hyena clan while he was feeding around the den. The warthog had a quick last feed and he was on his merry way leaving the hyena clan to regroup. The mothers immediately called the babies out from the den to see if they were fine. We all had a big sigh of relieve when the small babies peaked out from the safety of the hole. The clan had a very long greeting ceremony and they were extremely vocal throughout the rest of the morning. It was funny to see that the hyenas were running away from the warthog. As a rule, in the bush, the prey would usually run away from the predator, not the other way around….
3 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

From Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve, 06 Nov. 2017:
"We witnessed some very interesting interaction between this clan of hyenas who were trying desperately to move in on the buffalo carcass which was being heavily protected by the pride of lions."

1 user Likes Ngala's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

From Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve, 17 Nov. '17:
"A huge clan of approximately 30 hyenas appeared to have chased off a lion pride from a zebra kill which they must have brought down in the early hours of the morning or late at night."

1 user Likes Ngala's post

Russian Federation AlexE Offline
Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 06-30-2018, 03:30 PM by AlexE )

Hyena vs pack of boerboels

On the night before our arrival, our host's dogs had killed a large spotted hyena, which hunger attracted too near to the sheepfolds. The corpse of the animal, and of two dogs, who had lost their lives in the combat, were lying together on the field of action. The rest of the dogs had retired in a body to the shady side of the house, where they were licking their wounds. It would be difficult to find more resolute and courageous dogs than the breed which are cherished by the African colonists, and for this peculiar property they are indebted to the dangerous conflicts which they have such frequent occasion to sustain with the hyenas and leopards. At those farms where sheep are bred in any numbers, it is not uncommon to find from ten to fifteen large dogs, which are commonly so fierce, that it is not safe to go very near them, either by day or by night.

One moonlight night I wounded a large male hyena, partially paralysing his hind-quarters, and my pack of dogs at once ran up to and attacked him. Several of these dogs were large, powerful animals, and holding the hyena by the ears, throat, and neck, they certainly prevented him from using his teeth to their discomfort, but they seemed quite unable to pull him to the ground, and when I at last drove them off, I could not see that they had hurt him in any way, so I shot him.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/49270/49...9270-h.htm
1 user Likes AlexE's post

Russian Federation AlexE Offline
Watchlisted Member

A Hyena that was harassing the dogs and the newborn pups. This was a picture taken as he got very close to the den site, and then realized he was too close!

The dogs pursued the Hyena chasing him far away from the den site. Good dogs!

On the last day we found one of the male dogs "White Stripe" badly injured from a Hyena attack. The Hyena chewed his back and legs,
and in the process broke three of his legs very badly. The rangers had to come and put him out of his misery. He seemed unconscious
from the time we found him right until the ranger was about to pull the trigger, and then for some reason he opened his eyes one last time.

http://www.sifakaphoto.com/southafrica/wilddogs.html
2 users Like AlexE's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-30-2018, 03:26 PM)AlexE Wrote: Hyena vs pack of boerboels

On the night before our arrival, our host's dogs had killed a large spotted hyena, which hunger attracted too near to the sheepfolds. The corpse of the animal, and of two dogs, who had lost their lives in the combat, were lying together on the field of action. The rest of the dogs had retired in a body to the shady side of the house, where they were licking their wounds. It would be difficult to find more resolute and courageous dogs than the breed which are cherished by the African colonists, and for this peculiar property they are indebted to the dangerous conflicts which they have such frequent occasion to sustain with the hyenas and leopards. At those farms where sheep are bred in any numbers, it is not uncommon to find from ten to fifteen large dogs, which are commonly so fierce, that it is not safe to go very near them, either by day or by night.

One moonlight night I wounded a large male hyena, partially paralysing his hind-quarters, and my pack of dogs at once ran up to and attacked him. Several of these dogs were large, powerful animals, and holding the hyena by the ears, throat, and neck, they certainly prevented him from using his teeth to their discomfort, but they seemed quite unable to pull him to the ground, and when I at last drove them off, I could not see that they had hurt him in any way, so I shot him.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/49270/49...9270-h.htm
Two great posts @AlexE 
The first posts second story (where the paralized Hyena couldn’t be brought down and had no visible injuries) is very close to a storry I heard of 5 dogs attacking a spotted Hyena the dogs managed to chase the hyena, but when they caught up with him, he didn’t back down killing two dogs and sent the others running. Shows what amazing and powerful animals they are. I also once heard a guy with a pet Hyena that he could never train because the Hyena never felt any of the punishment he used in trening. They are almost like a hybrid between a wolf and a bear. 
They are evolved to be able to take tons of punishment as they live in a very strickt clan where the clan members are in the possesion of the strongest jaw of any mammal
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

#68 & "a guy with a pet Hyena that he could never train because the Hyena never felt any of the punishment he used in trening."
Animal cruelty much?

(06-30-2018, 05:37 PM)Pantherinae Wrote: They are almost like a hybrid between a wolf and a bear. 

Hyenas belong to Feliformia, they're their own thing, can't really be compared to wolves and bears since they're completely different from physical characteristics to social behavior.
1 user Likes Shir Babr's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Pantherinae :

About #70: Could hyenas be domesticated like dogs ?

http://99wow.blogspot.com/2017/10/hyena-wranglers.html

Hyenas and baboons...

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-02-2018, 07:06 AM)Shir Babr Wrote: #68 & "a guy with a pet Hyena that he could never train because the Hyena never felt any of the punishment he used in trening."
Animal cruelty much?

(06-30-2018, 05:37 PM)Pantherinae Wrote: They are almost like a hybrid between a wolf and a bear. 

Hyenas belong to Feliformia, they're their own thing, can't really be compared to wolves and bears since they're completely different from physical characteristics to social behavior.
When you have a big powerful dog you need to diseplin them physically sometimes to make them learn and respect you. This guy couldn’t do that with a spotted hyena. 

I mean their physically buildt like a cross between a wolf and a bear. Like a bear with canine legs. I don’t mean litterally but I guess I have to be more clear sometimes...   

@Spalea I guess they can be, I have seen Kevin Richardson has a very close realtionship with his hyenas, but when they get very excited he moves away. They are very intelligent animals so they could probably be quite easy to train, but also smart enough to understand they could kill you. Hyenas live in a clan where young hyenas born by a highly ranked feamle will be more dominant than a low ranked male. So they could be able to take orders from weaker beings (like us). 
Anyways hyenas dosen’t belong in captivity or being togheter with humans. I don’t like when people interract with the largest carnivores. IT gives to many people a incorrect view on these animals.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Two Hyenas killing Kudu bull 

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

#72 Those people parade around cities with muzzled hyenas so that people give them money. Is a form of begging by exploiting animals. They're no better than gypsies dragging bears around with rings on their noses.

(07-02-2018, 01:24 PM)Pantherinae Wrote: When you have a big powerful dog you need to diseplin them physically sometimes to make them learn and respect you. This guy couldn’t do that with a spotted hyena. 

Anyways hyenas dosen’t belong in captivity or being togheter with humans. I don’t like when people interract with the largest carnivores. IT gives to many people a incorrect view on these animals.

That's what I meant. Hyenas have a very different psychology than domestic dogs. That guy was just abusing the hyena.
1 user Likes Shir Babr's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Pantherinae :

About #73: clearly, we are in front of a case of animals condition abuse...
2 users Like Spalea's post