There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spotted Hyena (Crocuta crocuta)

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-17-2017, 05:07 PM by Ngala )

Spotted hyenas have some cool pictures of them I would love to see them!
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-18-2014, 12:59 AM by Pantherinae )

Hyenas kills a buffalo bull, notice that only two hyenas actually brings The buffalo down! Impressive animals
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Another bull attacked by hyenas 

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-18-2014, 01:13 AM by Pantherinae )

*This image is copyright of its original author

Impressive kill by an hyena, what appares to be an Buffalo cow, but look at The face of it and it actually Looks like a bull. Probably sick, but still very impressive

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

I really feel bad when hyena, wild dogs or wolf kill their prey compare to cats.

They start eating alive, imagine the pain of the prey when they scream and eaten alive. Actually this is real brutality. But truth of nature.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

'sanjay dateline='' Wrote: I really feel bad when hyena, wild dogs or wolf kill their prey compare to cats.

They start eating alive, imagine the pain of the prey when they scream and eaten alive. Actually this is real brutality. But truth of nature.

Often when Lions and tigers kill big prey aswell they start feeding while The prey is still alive.. 
Ocf The pain is enormous, but The prey will Often die faster when hyenas eat them alive then when Lions are suffucateing them. 

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

I don't think so, Killing of big cats are less painful then that of hyena or wild dogs. I have seen documentary where the narrator say death given by lion is better compare to that by wild dogs (In a scene, where wild dogs attacks a wildebeest and a male lion came to take it away)

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-18-2014, 02:18 AM)'sanjay' Wrote: I don't think so, Killing of big cats are less painful then that of hyena or wild dogs. I have seen documentary where the narrator say death given by lion is better compare to that by wild dogs (In a scene, where wild dogs attacks a wildebeest and a male lion came to take it away)

Like I said, numerous photographers I have seen from docs say its actually a quicker death via disembowment.
You must compare apples to apples, a lion is far larger than a wild dog, a lion killing a buffalo is the equivalent of a wild dog killing a bull gazelle or female wildabeast. As soon as the dogs are in the vulnerable belly region the animal is dead. No death is preferable, but each situation is its own. From what I have seen, the most gruesome is watching a lion kill a big buffalo, hippo, or elephant. Heck, even watch the Gir female feeding and licking the wound on the Blue bull that she is eating alive. Its brutal

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Single Hyena brutaly killing a adult wildebeest.. 

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Another impressive kill by hyenas 

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Hyenas are just sick animals! Survives 3 attacks from a male lion, that should not be possible! Hyenas are very durable! 

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-23-2014, 03:01 AM by Pantherinae )

Young male Leopard killed by a group of hyenas, aft he had killed a hyena cub. 

http://africageographic.com/blog/hyenas-kill-a-leopard/

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

That's great story.... Unlucky Leopard

Bigcat Enthusiast

Young leopard didn't know any better, I have seen hyenna go after lion that have come to close to their cubs.
Hyenna are extremely protective of their young, like all animals.

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-24-2014, 01:32 AM by Pckts )

BTW Pantherinae, it never says cub it says young hyena.

"There was a battle between two top predators with casualities on both sides. A young male leopard killed a YOUNG Hyena and took it up a marula tree. For some reason the leopard then came down the tree to face off against two fully grown hyenas. The rest of the clan soon joined them and attacked the leopard; grabbing it by the tail and dragging it through the bush. It all ended with the hyenas ripping the leopard to shreds."
http://africageographic.com/blog/hyenas-kill-a-leopard/