There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spotted Hyena (Crocuta crocuta)

bigcatlover Offline

Intraspecific fight
2 users Like bigcatlover's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Will Burrard-Lucas: " Another image straight out of the Lion King! In my opinion hyenas are actually quite loveable ?
This was taken with #BeetleCam -- link in bio to my 10 year anniversary BeetleCam video! "

1 user Likes Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Dereck Joubert: " It’s always fascinating to learn more about a species with a social setup as complex as that of the spotted hyena … and new research has highlighted just how important early social interactions are for young cubs. Though hyena daughters ‘inherit’ their social status depending on the rank of their mother, how they wield that status is vital. The study showed that cubs who fail to act in accordance with their inherited rank in the rough-and-tumble world of the communal den have significantly lower odds of survival. It seems there is little room for underperformance in the hyena hierarchy… "

Wildanimal Lover

Marlon du Toit: " Lowly scavenger or supreme opportunist? "

Wildanimal Lover

Marlon du Toit: " Can hyena babies be some of nature’s cutest? This moment has stood out to be one of my very favorite - a mother hyena cleans her cub against its will.
Contrary to popular belief, hyena mothers are incredibly attentive & take great care of the youngsters. "

Wildanimal Lover

Marlon du Toit: " When a baby hyena bites off a little more than he can chew, he’s gotta take what’s coming to him. Hyenas have a side to them that’s playful & funny, something most people will never even know. "

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

2 users Like Sully's post

Wildanimal Lover

Beverly Joubert: " Stereotypes of hyenas as skulking, lowly scavengers are entirely unjustified. These creatures have sophisticated social structures and brains with sizeable frontal lobes – similar to chimpanzees and humans – suggesting an intelligence that’s far superior to what is commonly assumed. For youngsters, like this adorable pup, social interactions are important at an early age. Cubs are born into complex hierarchies and females ‘inherit’ the ranks of their mothers. So if mom is a major player in the clan then her daughters will benefit from her social standing. But with great power comes great responsibility and the youngsters must act according to their rank or they may lose out to others in the den.⁣"

United Kingdom TigrisLeo504 Offline

Single hyena takes down wildebeest bull

https://youtu.be/RcGj3189f3Y

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author

Credits my boy, Rob the Ranger
2 users Like TigrisLeo504's post

Wildanimal Lover

Happy to learn, if you don't know it , that today is the hyena's day !

Kevin Richardson: " Happy National hyena day everyone! My mission continues to show people how wonderfully smart, beautiful and necessary hyenas are in the ecosystem. If you don’t think hyenas can be cute scroll though to the last picture and let me know in the comments if you’ve changed your mindset as to how you see and understand hyenas. We need to unlearn what we think we know about these incredible predators and learn the truth! "

IMO, I don't think that the last picture is the best one to be definitively won by this amazing animal... You should say it's a matter of taste, but I would prefer the penultimate one.
2 users Like Spalea's post

bigcatlover Offline

3 hyenas vs 3 lions guess who wins??
2 users Like bigcatlover's post

Wildanimal Lover

Jens Cullmann: " ‘no leftovers’ ... spotted hyenas eat up the rest of a buffalo which was killed the night before by lions.
Maybe you noticed the particular curiosity for spotted hyenas in my posts. Although they are generally known as scavengers they are actually skillful hunters and extremely social and smart predators. . . "

Wildanimal Lover

Howard Cleland: " Two hyena cooling off in a full drainage line after a morning shower. "

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-17-2020, 03:01 AM by Dark Jaguar )

In case the video above doesn't work check in the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX5g_AAZWZo
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Wildanimal Lover

" Hyenas feed on the scraps of a buffalo carcass while lions roar in the distance. "

Just hear how easily they are crushing the bones...