There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws

United States paul cooper Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 12-11-2018, 02:59 AM by paul cooper )

*This image is copyright of its original author

Preistoria, Italia, Neolitico, Dente canino superiore di tigre lavorato con incisioni, Aquileia, Museo Archeologico Nazionale
2 users Like paul cooper's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(12-11-2018, 02:58 AM)paul cooper Wrote:

Preistoria, Italia, Neolitico, Dente canino superiore di tigre lavorato con incisioni, Aquileia, Museo Archeologico Nazionale

Maybe some species of Machairodus?

It does look very fossilized, hence a very old specimen.

Canine Expert
Moderators

Tiger claw at 7.07 x 6.05 x 1.79

2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

Amur tiger

4 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

So many claws and canines here with measurements. I put this here to give a little bit different kind of perspective, which I find interesting too. There are many ways to look at measurements, but sometimes one picture tells more than thousand words.

https://paolov.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/claws.jpg

Attached Files Image(s)

1 user Likes Shadow's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(12-26-2018, 06:36 AM)Shadow Wrote: So many claws and canines here with measurements. I put this here to give a little bit different kind of perspective, which I find interesting too. There are many ways to look at measurements, but sometimes one picture tells more than thousand words.

@epaiva got many of those replica products of bone clones under his collection.

Also, the canines and claws from bone clones didn't belong from the largest individuals.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(12-26-2018, 08:42 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 06:36 AM)Shadow Wrote: So many claws and canines here with measurements. I put this here to give a little bit different kind of perspective, which I find interesting too. There are many ways to look at measurements, but sometimes one picture tells more than thousand words.

Also, the canines and claws from bone clones didn't belong from the largest individuals.

Yes I know, that that kind of collection isn´t necessarily from the biggest ones. But time to time it is nice to see overall picture about claws of different animals. I think, that that kind of collection is good to give some idea about it. Also when someone writes, that some claw is 7 cm long, it is good to understand what that means in reality. I know, that my posting wasn´t what is usually posted here, but then again I think, that it is quite interesting to many, when there are claws from so many different animals. But if that is in wrong place, it can be removed, I don´t mind :)

Canine Expert
Moderators

(12-26-2018, 02:56 PM)Shadow Wrote:

Yes I know, that that kind of collection isn´t necessarily from the biggest ones. But time to time it is nice to see overall picture about claws of different animals. I think, that that kind of collection is good to give some idea about it. Also when someone writes, that some claw is 7 cm long, it is good to understand what that means in reality. I know, that my posting wasn´t what is usually posted here, but then again I think, that it is quite interesting to many, when there are claws from so many different animals. But if that is in wrong place, it can be removed, I don´t mind :)

In real life, there are a lot of variety within the canines and claws of the animals, and bone clones is a place where you can start to learn it from scratch.

However, it is far from being representative.

Also, bone clones often mislabelled the measurement of their products.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(12-26-2018, 11:39 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:

In real life, there are a lot of variety within the canines and claws of the animals, and bone clones is a place where you can start to learn it from scratch.

Still it is clear, that bear claws compared to big cat claws are something like that in that collection. Also eagle talons are different than big cat claws. Then again if that looks like to be wrong in average, maybe someone here could show something more accurate. If there is some relevant differences and that collection seems to be misleading what comes to overall picture when comparing claws of different species. My posting was meant to give a little bit different point of view here :) Or maybe there should be own thread for claw/talon comparisons between different species and what is the shape of claws. Sometime when seeing only measurements in some text they can be giving false images if not knowing how some claw is measured.

Canine Expert
Moderators

(12-26-2018, 11:51 PM)Shadow Wrote:

Still it is clear, that bear claws compared to big cat claws are something like that in that collection. Also eagle talons are different than big cat claws. Then again if that looks like to be wrong in average, maybe someone here could show something more accurate. If there is some relevant differences and that collection seems to be misleading what comes to overall picture when comparing claws of different species. My posting was meant to give a little bit different point of view here :) Or maybe there should be own thread for claw/talon comparisons between different species and what is the shape of claws. Sometime when seeing only measurements in some text they can be giving false images if not knowing how some claw is measured.

That grizzly claw is only 9 cm, yet they labelled it as 11.5 cm. That's why I don't consider bone clones as a reliable source.

The grizzly claw is medium one, tiger claw also medium, lion claw looks rather a smallish lioness.

BTW, if you don't mind, I can make a comparison between the largest bear claw and big cat claw that I've seen before.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-27-2018, 01:54 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

The big bear claws compared to big tiger claws.

The bear claw is obviously longer, and the tiger claw looks broader with more part being embedded into the bone sheath, hence it was accustomed to be retractable.

BTW, I've only seen the North American Grizzly bears with claws frequently exceeding 10 cm, sometimes up to 11-12 cm, whereas the Russian Brown bears' claws rarely exceeded 10 cm.

3 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(12-27-2018, 01:31 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 11:51 PM)Shadow Wrote:

That grizzly claw is only 9 cm, yet they labelled it as 11.5 cm. That's why I don't consider bone clones as a reliable source.

The grizzly claw is medium one, tiger claw also medium, lion claw looks rather a smallish lioness.

BTW, if you don't mind, I can make a comparison between the largest bear claw and big cat claw that I've seen before.
Heh, I know that there are longer claws. As I said, that photo wasn´t meant to be shown as "top accurate", but to give a different kind of point of view to this issue and when many people seem to like comparisons, why not make some when there is a lot of information. So of course I don´t mind and if you have information about biggest eagle talons, those are also interesting and impressive, like 4 daggers there, well 8 when counting both feet.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(12-27-2018, 01:51 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: The big bear claws compared to big tiger claws.

The bear claw is obviously longer, and the tiger claw looks broader with more part being embedded into the bone sheath, hence it was accustomed to be retractable.

BTW, I've only seen the North American Grizzly bears with claws frequently exceeding 10 cm, sometimes up to 11-12 cm, whereas the Russian Brown bears' claws rarely exceeded 10 cm.

What comes to bear claws. I think, that longest claws are from Alaskan coastal area(?). There are the biggest bears after all and only comparable bears what comes to size can be found from Kamchatka peninsula, Russia. Other Russian brown bears are more or less comparable with for instance Yellowstone brown bears and other inland populations, like our brown bears in Finland.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(12-27-2018, 02:00 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 01:51 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: The big bear claws compared to big tiger claws.

What comes to bear claws. I think, that longest claws are from Alaskan coastal area(?). There are the biggest bears after all and only comparable bears what comes to size can be found from Kamchatka peninsula, Russia. Other Russian brown bears are more or less comparable with for instance Yellowstone brown bears and other inland populations, like our brown bears in Finland.

Alaskan Brown bear ~ 12 cm
Russian Brown bear ~ 10 cm
Amur tiger ~ 8.5 cm
Bengal tiger ~ 7.2 cm
African lion ~ 6.9 cm

These are the largest instances encountered from my personal experience, maybe there could have been even more outliers, but these are some rare cases for their respective species.
2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(12-27-2018, 02:05 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 02:00 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Alaskan Brown bear ~ 12 cm
Russian Brown bear ~ 10 cm
Amur tiger ~ 8.5 cm
Bengal tiger ~ 7.2 cm
African lion ~ 6.9 cm

These are the largest instances encountered from my personal experience, maybe there could have been even more outliers, but these are some rare cases for their respective species.
Happy New Year to you @GrizzlyClaws and to you @Shadow hope 2019 will be a very good one for both
1 user Likes epaiva's post