There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws

Taiwan Betty Offline

Tiger

Length: 6.78cm

*This image is copyright of its original author

2 users Like Betty's post

Taiwan Betty Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-11-2018, 05:16 PM by Betty )

Tiger

Length: 6.55cm

2 users Like Betty's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Tiger

Length: 7cm

3 users Like Betty's post

Taiwan Betty Offline

Tiger

Length: 7.2cm

3 users Like Betty's post

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Is there latest update on Altai's skull?
1 user Likes johnny rex's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

(09-12-2018, 06:35 PM)johnny rex Wrote: Is there latest update on Altai's skull?

I'll do a post in the tiger thread today. The intention is to contact the writers of the article posted by Betty and to visit Koln soon.
3 users Like peter's post

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(03-07-2017, 05:31 AM)epaiva Wrote: Panthera Atrox Wide of Skull 29 cm

Isn't it actually 280 mm width? Look at the left, the left cheekbone didn't reach the farthest point of the measuring tape.

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(03-05-2017, 05:40 AM)epaiva Wrote: Siberian Tiger Measurements of Canine teeth 

- Upper canine teeth 6,6 centimeters long

- Lower canine teeth  5  centimeters long

Can you re-measure the length and width of the Siberian tiger skull in milimeters? Because according to Bone Clones, the length is 383 mm (15.07 inches) and the width is 249 mm (9.80 inches). Skull height is 162 mm (6 1/2 inches).
2 users Like johnny rex's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

In fact, Bone Clones is incorrect this time. For some reason they changed the sizes and that of the tiger is incorrect.

This is an old image and have the correct size:

@epaiva can corroborate this sizes.

Hope this helps.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-15-2018, 01:08 PM by johnny rex )

I'm asking for a re-measurement because I want to estimate the size of the Lionzilla skull. I found a pic showing comparison between a lion skull which look the same like epaiva's and lion skulls from Bone Clones and others, Lionzilla skull and a Siberian tiger skull which look really similar to epaiva's. Maybe modeled after the same cast of a same tiger skull. Here's the pic below.

Assuming the size of the Siberian tiger is 15 inches, what is the size of the Lionzilla skull? According to ebay, the length of Lionzilla skull is 16 3/8 inches and the width is 11 1/2 inches.

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

If the Siberian tiger skull width is just 249 mm like what it was written on Bone Clones, then the width of Lionzilla skull is just 11 inches which is the same as the record size lion skull.

Expert & Researcher

To be honest, I don't think that the tiger skull in the right is the Amur specimen of Bone clones. Probably is the Bengal tiger skull, which is smaller. I think that because the other lion skull (at left) is like the normal sized lion skull also from Bone clones.

In this case, the "lionzilla" skull is probably the same "extra-large" lion skull that Bone clones sale.

Is just my apreciation.

johnny rex Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-15-2018, 01:09 PM by johnny rex )

Okay, but I will wait for @epaiva to re-measure his Siberian tiger skull in milimeters. But his Siberian tiger skull looks similar to the tiger skull used for comparison with Lionzilla, and according to the original page of Lionzilla in ebay the owner said the tiger skull is Siberian http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI...cureDesc=0. Below is the same pic but much clearer despite corrupted or damaged.

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 09-14-2018, 01:06 PM by GuateGojira )

I was checking, many times, and now I am sure that this the Bengal tiger skull.

At first sight, all the sutures and holes in the skull are the same than that of the Amur tiger, but also those of the Bengal are about the same. But the color of the skull, which is white in all the Amur tiger images and yellow in the Bengal one, and must of all the canine form, is the best evidence that this is not the Amur tiger skull.

Check the canines in the Amur tiger skull:

The canines are long with a soft line.

Now check the Bengal tiger skull:

Maybe the form may not be the same, but remember the deformation of the picture (this is now corrected for the Amur tiger). Now this is the yellowish skull and also the canines are relative short and with those abrupt forms, exactly the same ones from the tiger skull in the picture that you post.

i don't trust to much in the color issue, but certainly the canines form can't lie. The size of this skull, accordign with Bone clones is 34.4 L x 24.2 W x 16.3 H (cm), use this size and tell me what you get from the giant lion skull.

Is my apreciation, let's see what @epaiva can say to help.

Expert & Researcher

I am not very sure now, I saw many other replica,s for example from Skulls unlimited, and there are many variations.

I think that you can use these sizes to make your calculations, before to receive the information of Epaiva:

Tiger:
1- 39.3 L x 25.4 W.
2- 38.3 L x 24.9 W.
3- 34.4 L x 24.2 W.

Lion:
1- 39.3 L x 27.8 W.
2- 34.8 L x 23.5 W.