There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(01-29-2022, 11:06 PM)epaiva Wrote: African Lion claws 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Perfect example of why “over the curves” is less reliable.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-29-2022, 11:54 PM by epaiva )

(01-29-2022, 11:09 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(01-29-2022, 11:06 PM)epaiva Wrote: African Lion claws 

Perfect example of why “over the curves” is less reliable.
I totally agree with you, I think it is the reason why they don’t mention measurements of claws of big cats in any research, for me the part that is really important is what they use when they attack.
2 users Like epaiva's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(01-29-2022, 10:37 PM)SpinoRex Wrote: I found some informations of (Indochinese/bengals?) tigers. I will just post the normal pictures because the websites include some really hard pictures. The following images below may be upsetting to some viewers.

Quote:https://speakupforthevoiceless.wordpress...iger-claw/

Gender of the Specimen not mentioned

The Skull, Canines and Teeth

Claw 

Canine

By judging the size, it does fit that of a lioness.

The lower canine being less than 8 cm usually belongs to that of a lioness.

SpinoRex Offline
Banned

(01-30-2022, 02:34 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(01-29-2022, 10:37 PM)SpinoRex Wrote: I found some informations of (Indochinese/bengals?) tigers. I will just post the normal pictures because the websites include some really hard pictures. The following images below may be upsetting to some viewers.

Quote:https://speakupforthevoiceless.wordpress...iger-claw/

Gender of the Specimen not mentioned

The Skull, Canines and Teeth

Claw 

Canine

By judging the size, it does fit that of a lioness.

The lower canine being less than 8 cm usually belongs to that of a lioness.

The canines arent "maxed out" if you look closely. Must be 9cm if straightened.
1 user Likes SpinoRex's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

Giant Short Faced Bear (Arctodus simus) upper fang

3 users Like epaiva's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(02-02-2022, 07:52 PM)epaiva Wrote: Giant Short Faced Bear (Arctodus simus) upper fang

Its size is still quite staggering, and it should be about the same size to that of the largest Cave bears.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

Upper fangs of Cave Bear (left) and Short Faced Bear 

5 users Like epaiva's post

Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-03-2022, 10:42 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

(02-03-2022, 07:54 AM)epaiva Wrote: Upper fangs of Cave Bear (left) and Short Faced Bear 

The SF bear got very big cat like canine teeth, where the root is less embedded, but its crown is much longer for piercing deeper into its prey.
2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

SpinoRex Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 02-06-2022, 01:16 AM by SpinoRex )

Information regarding Robert kocks 272 kg empty stomach lion revealed by a user on Discord named "YusufTutWlan"
@GrizzlyClaws @peter @GuateGojira 

3 users Like SpinoRex's post

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan

(02-06-2022, 01:14 AM)SpinoRex Wrote: Information regarding Robert kocks 272 kg empty stomach lion revealed by a user on Discord named "YusufTutWlan"

Would agree with most part except the cattle killer thing, that´s a baseless argument. 

For all I know, that lion was a well reputed cattle killer.
2 users Like Charger01's post

SpinoRex Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 02-06-2022, 01:50 AM by SpinoRex )

(02-06-2022, 01:40 AM)Khan85 Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 01:14 AM)SpinoRex Wrote: Information regarding Robert kocks 272 kg empty stomach lion revealed by a user on Discord named "YusufTutWlan"

Would agree with most part except the cattle killer thing, that´s a baseless argument. 

The story behind that argument was a other mail ig. So i dont know what they were talking about before that

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-06-2022, 01:53 AM by Pckts )

Depends on the location, same as Tigers. But for Lions in E. Africa for instance, cattle killing will not be tolerated by the Masai. They’ll hunt down any Lion that kills their cattle and take any cat they can find. It’s pretty crazy when you’re driving through the Serengeti and you see children walking their livestock by themselves with little worry of Lions attacking since they’ve been trained to not take their cattle. But in Botswana they take cattle much more often.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan

(02-06-2022, 01:52 AM)Pckts Wrote:

Depends on the location, same as Tigers. But for Lions in E. Africa for instance, cattle killing will not be tolerated by the Masai. They’ll hunt down any Lion that kills their cattle and take any cat they can find. It’s pretty crazy when you’re driving through the Serengeti and you see children walking their livestock by themselves with little worry of Lions attacking since they’ve been trained to not take their cattle. But in Botswana they take cattle much more often.
Were the things same in 90s? The research paper said he was one of 7 or 8 lions who had serious reputation as cattle killers
1 user Likes Charger01's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-06-2022, 02:04 AM)Khan85 Wrote:

Were the things same in 90s? The research paper said he was one of 7 or 8 lions who had serious reputation as cattle killers

No idea,
I’m just speaking on the Serengeti/Crater.
 I’m sure he was definitely bulked up on cattle. You see that with most cattle killers, generally they have more of a soft appearance from the easy kills. Also his skull is large but not the top tier which again leads me to believe he was probably a bit overweight. But regardless he was a massive lion, no doubt about it.
2 users Like Pckts's post

SpinoRex Offline
Banned

(02-06-2022, 02:25 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 02:04 AM)Khan85 Wrote:

No idea,
I’m just speaking on the Serengeti/Crater.
 I’m sure he was definitely bulked up on cattle. You see that with most cattle killers, generally they have more of a soft appearance from the easy kills. Also his skull is large but not the top tier which again leads me to believe he was probably a bit overweight. But regardless he was a massive lion, no doubt about it.

Note the skull was one of the biggest. A small look at the skull should be enough to understand that it was pretty robust. For a east african lions 387mm is really long and 267mm is equal to the RECORD width for wild lions. But his skull overall is extremely broad. The skeleton of that lion was also pretty long and really robust according to the guys who observed the skeleton. The lion had a total length of 300+ cm looking at the answer from Richard Kock to the user Waveriders.

Even with good amount of food..... no one reached 272 kg. For such a weight good genetics are a must have and especially body size. Also lions in that weight category are nearly always overweights except some really long individuals
1 user Likes SpinoRex's post