There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Skulls, Skeletons, Canines & Claws

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(10-15-2021, 06:01 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(10-14-2021, 09:24 PM)epaiva Wrote: Comparing claws of Kodiak Bear larger one, Grizzly Bear in the middle and Harpy Eagle

*This image is copyright of its original author

Never thought that Kodiak got bigger claws than grizzly.

Kodiaks are Giant Grizzlies
2 users Like epaiva's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

Kodiak Brown Bear claw largest one compared to Giant Anteater claws 

3 users Like epaiva's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

Caiman crocodilus skulls from Venezuelan Llanos

1 user Likes epaiva's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

Orinoco Crocodile (Crocodylus internedius)

1 user Likes epaiva's post

Maldives acutidens150 Offline
Banned

(08-09-2015, 11:39 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 10:57 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: A 17 inches fossilized skull of the Barbary lion, and I think we might re-evaluate the size of this animal, since it looks as large as the Cave lion.

http://www.dinolandplus.com/animal-index...gory/lions

@peter @tigerluver @Majingilane

The measurements are incorrect, check that the "17 inches" length was taken over the curve of the skull, not in a straight line like the measurements of Zoologists like Pocock or Mazák, among others:

This is NOT how a skull most be measured. So, the 17 inches size is unreliable and an exaggeration of the salesman and the "Dinoland Plus" webpage.

Check also this: "WOW Unbelievable Entire Barbary Coast Early Unknown Extinct Lion Huge Skull 17” Long x 9.5” wide."

How is possible that a skull with a greatest length of 432 mm could have a wide of only 241 mm??? The largest modern lion skull ever reported measured 17 inches (432 mm) in length had a wide of 11 1/16 inches (281 mm), quoted from Rowland Ward (1914).

So, in conclusion, this skull is incorrectly measured, and as we can see, the size seems just a copy-paste from the report of the giant lion of Rowland Ward, which by the way, was not corroborated by him and is only a "owner's measurement" and is not quoted like record in scientific files.

This "Dinoland Plus" page data is 100% inaccurate in the size issue and only hence the myth of the "giant" Barbary lions, which in fact were no larger than the East African population.

I don't really believe in the measurements being on-point. This skull needs to be measured properly, in a straight line as you said.
1 user Likes acutidens150's post

Maldives acutidens150 Offline
Banned

(08-04-2015, 10:57 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: A 17 inches fossilized skull of the Barbary lion, and I think we might re-evaluate the size of this animal, since it looks as large as the Cave lion.

I think that this as @GuateGojira here said, needs to be measured "in a straight line". Also, I suspect that this particular skull belongs to to an adult male from the wild. As @GuateGojira has mentioned, obviously, the Tower of London specimens were captive. Therefore, it is interesting to have a wild specimen.
Can you contact them to ask them to measure the skull "in a straight line"? 
Thank you.
1 user Likes acutidens150's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

American Black Bear (Ursus Americanus) and Gray Wolf (Canis lupus)

2 users Like epaiva's post

Canada GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

(01-16-2022, 04:08 PM)acutidens150 Wrote:

I think that this as @GuateGojira here said, needs to be measured "in a straight line". Also, I suspect that this particular skull belongs to to an adult male from the wild. As @GuateGojira has mentioned, obviously, the Tower of London specimens were captive. Therefore, it is interesting to have a wild specimen.
Can you contact them to ask them to measure the skull "in a straight line"? 
Thank you.

From Dinoland, it has been sold out many years ago, and you can contact the owner of this website.

https://dinolandplus.com/

BTW, the straight line is probably around 16 inches, and it obviously belonged to a wild male Barbary lion, so definitely much more robust those captive specimens.

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(01-27-2022, 07:02 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: BTW, the straight line is probably around 16 inches, and it obviously belonged to a wild male Barbary lion, so definitely much more robust those captive specimens.

I was checking the image and certainly that skull is less than 16 inches. Other thing, the saler will be incredible lucky if his history is correct, which are the probabilities to found a skull from a wild Barbary lion? Think about it, it sound to good to be real. How he got it? Were he actually got it? Which are the credentials of this skull? Is the skull real? There are too many questions that make me think that the entire story is fake and that the skull could be from another captive lion IF is actually a real skull (oh yes, this can be also a reproduction only!). Even if is real, the nasal opening is so big that remember more the skull of an American "lion" Panthera atrox than that of a moden lion Panthera leo.

So, I think that the entire situation is very fishy, the reliability of the skull is also in doubt and from the "Barbary" side, I will trust only in the specimens that we can actually verify from reliable sources, and a webpage that sold things like that page, or Ebay for example, is not reliable in my book.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

SpinoRex Offline
Banned

I have this picture here. I took a pic from a study when i was looking at some other study topics. Im trying to find the study but for now i have just a picture. Here is a lion with a Claw length of 8.1 cm using pixel scaling. Was already quoted to be a large one...

1 user Likes SpinoRex's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(01-27-2022, 11:34 PM)SpinoRex Wrote: I have this picture here. I took a pic from a study when i was looking at some other study topics. Im trying to find the study but for now i have just a picture. Here is a lion with a Claw length of 8.1 cm using pixel scaling. Was already quoted to be a large one...

There’s no way to determine a claw size without something to scale it off of. Especially if you’re claiming 8 + cm, you need verification.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

(01-27-2022, 11:34 PM)SpinoRex Wrote: I have this picture here. I took a pic from a study when i was looking at some other study topics. Im trying to find the study but for now i have just a picture. Here is a lion with a Claw length of 8.1 cm using pixel scaling. Was already quoted to be a large one...

Pending danger: Recent Copper Age lion ( Panthera leo L., 1758) finds from Hungary
3 users Like tigerluver's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

Intersting as it is, there is no document, chapter or study, that I am aware, that mentions the length of the claws in lions. There are some mentions in webpages with no references, but that is all.

So I will not be surprised if the claws of lions reach the 8 cm over the curve. In fact, it seems that only Mazák took the patience to measured the claws of the tigers, which reach up to 10 cm over the curves, and some of his animals were of great size.

In this case, I think that 8 cm on the curve is a good size for the claw of a lion.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

SpinoRex Offline
Banned

(01-28-2022, 01:42 AM)Pckts Wrote:

There’s no way to determine a claw size without something to scale it off of. Especially if you’re claiming 8 + cm, you need verification.

The user Tigerluver send the study. Its around 8cm (depending which app you are using). For the 5cm i got 231 pixels and for the claw overall 373.
1 user Likes SpinoRex's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(01-28-2022, 01:48 AM)tigerluver Wrote:

Pending danger: Recent Copper Age lion ( Panthera leo L., 1758) finds from Hungary

The claw isn’t actually there?

Here’s an actual lion claw to help with claw to hood ration

1 user Likes Pckts's post