There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Size comparisons

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Muggers can get massive depending on the location 

She conservatively estimated him to be over 4m but not by much. 

" ooh good question... He's such a dense hunk of croc that I'm trying to avoid my inclination to massively overestimate... over 4m, but probably not much over"

She has good experience with 4m crocs so I think that's a very valid estimate. 

One of both together, not the same specimens though
3 users Like Pckts's post

LonePredator Offline

(04-26-2022, 03:53 AM)Pckts Wrote: Muggers can get massive depending on the location 

" ooh good question... He's such a dense hunk of croc that I'm trying to avoid my inclination to massively overestimate... over 4m, but probably not much over"

Yes! 4 metre muggers might actually be common especially in the north. But anyway, I was specifically trying to estimate the weight of the crocodile killed by Machli and I would say that crocodile was 300kg+

And how are the Gharial and Mugger just sitting together? Looks very funny seeing those two together without any hostility.

Many years ago a 6.5 metre Gharial was found in my hometown. I wonder what happens when Gharials interact with Tigers. I’m sure the Tigers end up slaughtering them as they are easier to deal with compared to Muggers.
1 user Likes LonePredator's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-26-2022, 04:03 AM)LonePredator Wrote:
(04-26-2022, 03:53 AM)Pckts Wrote: Muggers can get massive depending on the location 

Yes! 4 metre muggers might actually be common especially in the north. But anyway, I was specifically trying to estimate the weight of the crocodile killed by Machli and I would say that crocodile was 300kg+

And how are the Gharial and Mugger just sitting together? Looks very funny seeing those two together without any hostility.

Many years ago a 6.5 metre Gharial was found in my hometown. I wonder what happens when Gharials interact with Tigers. I’m sure the Tigers end up slaughtering them as they are easier to deal with compared to Muggers.

She knew of one specific instance of a Tiger killing a large Gharial. Machli’s mugger she killed was probably around 11-12’ at most.
2 users Like Pckts's post

LonePredator Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2022, 04:56 AM by LonePredator )

(04-26-2022, 04:11 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(04-26-2022, 04:03 AM)LonePredator Wrote:

She knew of one specific instance of a Tiger killing a large Gharial. Machli’s mugger she killed was probably around 11-12’ at most.

I would say around 12feet 4inches but I’ll admit that I’m considering the best case scenario here.

Although I’m curious what the weight of that Mugger was as Muggers are seemingly quite heavier than saltwater crocodiles at equal lengths and the only measured Mugger specimen was 9feet 10inches (300cm) and weighed 195kg so I would say an 11feet 6inches (350cm) Mugger would weight about 300kg.

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(04-26-2022, 03:01 AM)LonePredator Wrote: Ahh! Then we only have two weights. One is an 111kg @ 274cm estimate by Brander and one real weight of 195kg @ 300cm. And @Ashutosh told me about the 750kg weight but now it indeed seems unreliable.

As for the American crocodile, I’m not sure if I should use the American crocodile to estimate the size of Muggers because I tried using Saltwater crocodile and it did not work so using American Crocodile may also not work.

Unfortunately it’s impossible to get an estimation for the 350cm mugger with just two available weights and measurements to use as surrogates. If I had 5 or even 4 weights and measurements available to use then maybe I could have derived a nearly accurate relation between the weight and length of muggers.

With 4 varying pairs of weights and measurements, I could have made multiple different combinations and averaged them out to get an estimation but with only 2, I can only get a single one (which would obviously be completely unreliable)

As for the saltwater crocodiles, I got an average exponent of around 3 [LOG base(higher length/lower length) higher weight/lower weight] but the exponents wildly varied between slightly below 3 to slightly more than 4 and I had to take the average of more than 10 different exponents to get this

But since we have only 2 weights and measurements, it’s impossible to calculate an estimated weight for the mugger killed by Machli. I would still say around 300kg.

Nevertheless, thanks a lot friend. You were very helpful just as always.

Is a pleasure to help in what I can.

Sadly, it seems that no one had weighed a mugger in old records, nor in modern ones, just total lengths.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

(04-25-2022, 10:58 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: Not to mention she was very well “above average” size for a tigress, especially as she was very much in her prime at this time aged 6-7.

Just curious, do you have a source for this? I was under the impression that Machli was average sized, or perhaps only a little bigger than average (which honestly is what made her feats, including standing up to much larger male tigers, all the more impressive to me - she had sheer ferocity and force of will on her side, rather than size).
1 user Likes LandSeaLion's post

LonePredator Offline

(04-26-2022, 05:07 AM)LandSeaLion Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 10:58 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: Not to mention she was very well “above average” size for a tigress, especially as she was very much in her prime at this time aged 6-7.

Just curious, do you have a source for this? I was under the impression that Machli was average sized, or perhaps only a little bigger than average (which honestly is what made her feats, including standing up to much larger male tigers, all the more impressive to me - she had sheer ferocity and force of will on her side, rather than size).

Agreed. It was not the size of the fighter but the size of the fight in the fighter kinda thing. But what do you mean that she stood up to males? I’ve heard of this too but how much truth to it? Did she defeat a male Tiger?

Bigcat Enthusiast

One of Machli’s daughters weighed in at 170kg and Machli was said to be larger than her. Most likely Machli was a big girl herself.
2 users Like Pckts's post

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

(04-26-2022, 05:15 AM)LonePredator Wrote:

Agreed. It was not the size of the fighter but the size of the fight in the fighter kinda thing. But what do you mean that she stood up to males? I’ve heard of this too but how much truth to it? Did she defeat a male Tiger?

I guess it depends on what you mean by “defeat.” She’d certainly never be able to outright kill a male tiger (she was very lucky to be left alive after this encounter with T6 “Romeo”), but she could defend her territory and cubs with enough aggression to convince them not to hassle her further. There’s some documentary footage of her successfully driving off a very large male called “Nick,” resulting in him limping away with a badly hurt paw (I think he became her mate a few months later, might be misremembering).

LonePredator Offline

Indeed! There’s a lot of fairytales floating around about Tigers like for example, the Tiger Jai was called the ‘largest Tiger of India’ by many news articles when in fact the Tiger was just of average weight.

Twico5 Offline

Puma and jag from the cerrado

*This image is copyright of its original author
1 user Likes Twico5's post

India Hello Offline

(04-27-2022, 09:34 PM)LonePredator Wrote: Indeed! There’s a lot of fairytales floating around about Tigers like for example, the Tiger Jai was called the ‘largest Tiger of India’ by many news articles when in fact the Tiger was just of average weight.

It's plausible to say he is 250 kg at most plus he is tall and quite bulky. I'm still skeptical of 220 kg despite the verification. 220 kg is a large tiger for sure, not average.

LonePredator Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 06:20 PM by LonePredator )

Not exactly, 212kg is the average of Tigers all over India while about 230kg is probably the average weight of Tigers in the Terai region (though the sample of the Terai Tigers was small in the data which I have seen)

220kg is not exactly big, 220kg is extremely common among the mainland male Bengal Tigers. 220kg for a wild Siberian is indeed large but in my opinion, a ‘truly big’ Indian Tiger should be around 235kg.

And I’ve heard that 220kg had been confirmed for the Tiger Jai but if you don’t believe it then there’s nothing to argue about because it’s upto you if you would believe it or not, I can’t change your opinion.

India Hello Offline

220 kg tiger is still a huge cat whether it be an amur or a bengal. Its not extremely common. 220kg is a bulky animal with some amount of fat, unless its a lean, tall animal.

LonePredator Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 06:17 PM by LonePredator )

(04-28-2022, 06:01 PM)Hello Wrote: 220 kg tiger is still a huge cat whether it be an amur or a bengal. Its not extremely common. 220kg is a bulky animal with some amount of fat, unless its a lean, tall animal.

No! It’s not. Before Guate gave the new data, his previous data with a sample of 23 Bengal Tigers gave an average weight of 221kg. Do you understand that? If a sample of 23 Tigers gives an average of 221kg then 220kg is obviously a lot more common than you think.

There are tons of Bengal Tigers which have surpassed 220kg so many times. Then on what basis can you claim that it is ‘huge’? 220kg is extremely common among Bengal Tigers.

But among wild Siberians, such high weights have not been seen in more than a decade.